Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: DD is making a bolt action rifle

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    LE Agency Provided photo. Delta 5 .308 (20"), Nightforce 3-15x, Hornady 168 Gr A-MAX loaded by Black Hills.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Joe Marler
    Law Enforcement Sales Manager

jmarler@danieldefense.com
    www.danieldefense.com

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Joe, any plans for a lefty version? Seriously thinking of upgrading from a Bergara to one.
    I paint spaceship parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Stippled Glocks are like used underwear; previous owner makes all the difference in value.

Feedback Score
    Looks like these are taking off. What is the street price running? Around 2 grand?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    What's your source for saying these are "taking off"? Not disagreeing, just haven't seen that claim elsewhere.

Eurooptic had a fairly good price on these recently, I think it was around $1750 for the .308 and slightly more for other calibers. Just looked it up and now it's at $1599:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Daniel-Def...159-07265.aspx

I have no affiliation with Eurooptic, just an FYI of market price.

After reading reviews and discussion at Sniper's Hide, it seems many people think this is a very good rifle, but not as appealing to civilian precision shooters (i.e. hobbyists like me, even if they take the hobby seriously) because it's not inexpensive relative to the overall package, and the barrel interface appears to be entirely proprietary and not yet supported by the various high-end aftermarket barrel makers. I'm sure Joe can correct me if I'm wrong on that last part. At EO's current price it looks like a good value if you have no desire to customize it, and will be happy to replace with only DD factory barrels once you wear out your first one. That would be a good fit for many LE agencies and professional users, but not as good a fit for typical hobbyist-competitor type users.

At the original MSRP this was competing against true custom rifles and not far below some established high-end factory rifles like Barrett. If market price is now around $1600 then it's competing with a lot of more ordinary rifles including the factory chassis-type rifles from Ruger, Tikka, and Bergara. Its engineering looks better than any of those, but those all benefit from huge aftermarket support and tons of barrel options including easy DIY prefit barrels. I'm sure the DD barrels are well made but just like with ARs and many other things, private users like to customize.

If one or two aftermarket barrel makers offered prefits for this, even if their barrels were not any better or lower priced than DD factory barrels, simply having more choices would likely motivate people to buy these.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    What's your source for saying these are "taking off"? Not disagreeing, just haven't seen that claim elsewhere.

Eurooptic had a fairly good price on these recently, I think it was around $1750 for the .308 and slightly more for other calibers. Just looked it up and now it's at $1599:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Daniel-Def...159-07265.aspx

I have no affiliation with Eurooptic, just an FYI of market price.

After reading reviews and discussion at Sniper's Hide, it seems many people think this is a very good rifle, but not as appealing to civilian precision shooters (i.e. hobbyists like me, even if they take the hobby seriously) because it's not inexpensive relative to the overall package, and the barrel interface appears to be entirely proprietary and not yet supported by the various high-end aftermarket barrel makers. I'm sure Joe can correct me if I'm wrong on that last part. At EO's current price it looks like a good value if you have no desire to customize it, and will be happy to replace with only DD factory barrels once you wear out your first one. That would be a good fit for many LE agencies and professional users, but not as good a fit for typical hobbyist-competitor type users.

At the original MSRP this was competing against true custom rifles and not far below some established high-end factory rifles like Barrett. If market price is now around $1600 then it's competing with a lot of more ordinary rifles including the factory chassis-type rifles from Ruger, Tikka, and Bergara. Its engineering looks better than any of those, but those all benefit from huge aftermarket support and tons of barrel options including easy DIY prefit barrels. I'm sure the DD barrels are well made but just like with ARs and many other things, private users like to customize.

If one or two aftermarket barrel makers offered prefits for this, even if their barrels were not any better or lower priced than DD factory barrels, simply having more choices would likely motivate people to buy these.
    Probably not a good source but this thread seems like it has exploded.... They look neat and at 1600 not terribly out of line still high though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VIP3R 237 View Post
    Joe, any plans for a lefty version? Seriously thinking of upgrading from a Bergara to one.
    No plans for a left handed version at this time. I'm also left handed. Not sure I'd know what to do with a Left Handed Bolt!
    Joe Marler

www.danieldefense.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    All,

Thank you very much for all of your comments and feedback. Trust me, we're listening to what you have to say.

We know we're competing in a completely different market since launching the Delta 5. It's an awesome market with lots of really solid manufacturers and we're glad to finally have something to offer of our own. We hope that as the Delta 5 matures, we can take the feedback from customers to make it even better. We're also hopeful that aftermarket components (barrels/stocks/chassis) will be be offered later on down the road. I know the interest is there, but I'm not spilling the beans until something actually comes to fruition.

I really like our Delta 5 and have enjoyed shooting it and letting customers shoot it. If you're LE and your agency wants to take one for a test drive, hit me up. My email address is in my signature. I have no problem sending one out for a period of time. If anyone has questions on the technical specifications, ammo it likes, etc., just ask me. If I don't know the answer, I'll walk downstairs and ask the design engineers.

S/F,
    Joe
    Joe Marler

www.danieldefense.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by non-hallal View Post
    Probably not a good source but this thread seems like it has exploded.... They look neat and at 1600 not terribly out of line still high though.but not as appealing to civilian precision shooters
    I disagree, I think at that price it appeals to me, a civilian shooter that recently bought a Bergara LRP (one of their more expensive models) and multiple custom guns with Kreigers etc... And I have no problem with DD or LMT having real easy to instal barrels that maybe cost a few dollars more but don't need a gunsmith to instal. In that situation a few dollars more isn't a few dollars more. $1,600 for a solid gun with quick change barrel, not too bad. At $2k plus its no go.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-06-19 at 20:55.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Finally laid hands on one at Cabela's. They wanted $2099.99 for it. I can see it for $1500-$1600 but in no way do I consider the Delta 5 to be a $2K rifle based on my limited handling of it. The bolt is not particularly smooth in the bold raceway, the stock is very "meh" from what I could tell. Didn't get a chance to dry fire it because Bass Pro/Cabela's policy nonsense. At just under $2K I can also find a Seekins Precision Havak Bravo in my choice of caliber with a Rock cut rifled barrel, handled one of those the other day and that is a bargain at under $2K in my estimation even though the KRG Bravo stock is KRG's entry level model.

Plus to my understanding of PRS rules the MSRP over $2K of the Delta 5 would push me out of production class if I was competing, and that is a total no-go.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Finally laid hands on one at Cabela's. They wanted $2099.99 for it. I can see it for $1500-$1600 but in no way do I consider the Delta 5 to be a $2K rifle based on my limited handling of it. The bolt is not particularly smooth in the bold raceway, the stock is very "meh" from what I could tell. Didn't get a chance to dry fire it because Bass Pro/Cabela's policy nonsense. At just under $2K I can also find a Seekins Precision Havak Bravo in my choice of caliber with a Rock cut rifled barrel, handled one of those the other day and that is a bargain at under $2K in my estimation even though the KRG Bravo stock is KRG's entry level model.

Plus to my understanding of PRS rules the MSRP over $2K of the Delta 5 would push me out of production class if I was competing, and that is a total no-go.
    The bolt design, in concept at least (I've not handled), is very good and updated to what a lot of the latest/best custom actions are doing:
    * 3-lug bolt
    * 60 degree bolt throw
    * Floating head design

Those are features worth having--if well executed. ETA, this is a very thoughtfully designed rifle, if it turns out to actually be well built with quality components, it could be a very good buy at this price point. I have no connection with DD and would not buy one myself, I'm actually irritated that they didn't produce a LH action. That said, it could be a great rifle.
    Last edited by maximus83; 08-17-19 at 11:04.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast