Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: DD is making a bolt action rifle

Feedback Score
    it looks like a pretty slick rifle. And DD is probably going to sell a ton of them to AR guys with a minor interest in shooting long range of precision who recognize the name. In terms of market share. I think they’re probably going to pick off LE sales of rifles like the FN SPR series. They no doubt have enough connections in LE circles that they if they shoot, they will start to show up in LE sharp shooters hands.

Price wise, my Defiance Deviant, manners T4 with adjustable comb and buttplate, Bartlein barrel, and Bix N’Andy is more than double that. Even before you add on spuhr Mount and Kahles 6-24, and TBAC Ultra...

Feedback Score
    Saw some more photos. Those bastards at DD are leaving the external hammer forging marks on the barrel exterior, just like Steyr does.

They know how sexy that is. They’re intentionally preying upon my fascination with the appearance of Steyr barrels.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Last I saw it was getting panned pretty badly on Snipers Hide... along with us.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    Last I saw it was getting panned pretty badly on Snipers Hide... along with us.
    I mean not really. The ratio of people saying, “I don’t know, there are some interesting features, and there’s nothing really available to actually shoot this down over, other than everyone assuming it will barely shoot 1 minute” to folks saying “it’s dumb and for people that don’t know anything other than Daniel Defense means it must be good” seems to be about the same.

I saw one dude lash out across forums. It was mighty gay of him specifically, and I’m not aware of anyone that gives a damn...of a lot of folks that are on both boards.

Feedback Score
    I’ve read a handful of published tests that have given group sizes and they look promising, but for all we know they’re handing out pre-selected rifles and barrels that they know for a fact shoot well before they leave the factory.

I’m not going to shit on this rifle or rush out and buy one either. There are some neat features like the floating bolt head, and headspaced barrels with a barrel extension. How all of it works together on actual production rifles remains to be seen, and others can beta test it.

I have no reason to question the ability of cold hammer forged barrels to shoot well, I have two DD CHF barrels in 5.56mm and both are plenty capable of running Black Hills 77gr MK262 into .5-.75 MOA, sometimes less. Tikka and SAKO both use CHF barrels and are well known for an accurate barrel. Same for Steyr.

That said if DD wants to help themselves out a bit they might consider releasing the barrel extensions to some custom barrel makers so customers have a choice about different calibers, and barrel specifications.

I’m not fond of how the stock looks, but that is subjective.

I hope the trigger is compatible with other Remington 700 style triggers, because I prefer a two stage trigger and the included Timney would probably not stay if I were to buy one of these.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Yes you do, and most peeps buy their guns more than they shoot them.
    +1+1+1+1+1
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    Yep we need a like button because Pappabear is spot on.

I’m in the market for a 6.5mm since my local range has an 800 yard line with steel, and I enjoy shooting bolt guns a lot. So I look forward to more reports on this DD stick.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 01-27-19 at 16:14.

Feedback Score
    Pricey stuff right there.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I got my hands on one of these rifles at LGS. My impression was its a quality rig. The barrel exchange thing looks pretty cool and very simple exchange. It will be interesting what they charge for an extra barrel so you can change your 308 to 6.5 quickly.

Gun was very center heavy in 308 with 20 inch barrel but I never mind a heavy gun, but for weight guys, nope. The action looked and felt like it was built very solid which may in part be due to the quick change barrel thing. Stock was a little different but what the picture shows. Action was smooth but nothing out of the ordinary.

It was street priced at $1,900. Kinda pricy for most new gun buyers but might do well for govt contracts with the barrel deal. And felt like it would go through hell and back and be good.

Im sure it will shoot lights out but what doesn't these days. With Tikka, Bergara ..... selling guns for less and performing well, it will be a tuff road to hoe.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I got my hands on one of these rifles at LGS. My impression was its a quality rig. The barrel exchange thing looks pretty cool and very simple exchange. It will be interesting what they charge for an extra barrel so you can change your 308 to 6.5 quickly.

Gun was very center heavy in 308 with 20 inch barrel but I never mind a heavy gun, but for weight guys, nope. The action looked and felt like it was built very solid which may in part be due to the quick change barrel thing. Stock was a little different but what the picture shows. Action was smooth but nothing out of the ordinary.

It was street priced at $1,900. Kinda pricy for most new gun buyers but might do well for govt contracts with the barrel deal. And felt like it would go through hell and back and be good.

Im sure it will shoot lights out but what doesn't these days. With Tikka, Bergara ..... selling guns for less and performing well, it will be a tuff road to hoe.

PB
    Thanks bro

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast