Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beretta 92A1

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Have you considered the M9A1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Probably a range gun with a possible HD function.
    It will do very well with both of those roles. A TLR-1 looks like it was practically made for it.

If you aren't much of a tinkerer, the M9A1 might be a better option from an aftermarket standpoint. More holster options in particular. But the 92A1 is easier to mod over time since it has the dovetailed front sight.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightstalker865 View Post
    Have you considered the M9A1?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Is it more better?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Is it more better?
    Objectively, the 92A1 is probably the better pistol. It's taken a lot of the improvements Beretta has made to the system over the years and incorporated them. The M9A1 is built to government specification standards. That's not to say that it's bad by any means, it's just incorporating all of the latest stuff.

The tradeoff is that the M9A1 is a government spec item. That means more aftermarket support for things like holsters at the big companies. The 92A1 is very limited in that regard.

If it's mostly a range and HD gun, I'd say go with the 92A1. Swap in a 'D' spring and shoot it for a while. Send it off to Wilson or Allegheny Arms when you want it worked over.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    The 92/96 line was very dated.

Updates including making the grip smaller (vertec),
    Incorporating a rail (vertec, 92G SD)
    Eliminating the safety function for decocker one, (g version)
    Addressing perceived slide durability (brigadier)
    Addressing changeable front sights (brigadier, vertec)
    Better checkering, etc.

Anyways, for an “update”, instead of of the above,
    They made a revamped 90-two, a confusing name for an updated nobody asked for. It had a slippery grip with poor small plastic area of retention, a rail with cool looking cover, and cool updated looks. It also had an updated recoil system, making for upper.lower incompatibility issues with the parent line. It was a failure and laughed off the market. People wanted a Beretta with functional updates, not to look trendy. A lesson they failed to learn with at least one other failed pistol line.

To recoup these losses, they kept the recoil system, and brought the 96A1 to market. Because a metal DA/SA gun in 40 at a time everyone was going to strikers and 40 was fading seemed like a great plan. They used a design just different enough to screw up some holster compatibilities and it also had the upper/lower incompatibility issues as the 90-two.

Theynfollowed this failure by bringing it to market in the 92A1 9mm version.
    “Where weapons may not be carried, it is well to carry weapons.”

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    This might elicit more 'Dat Firefly boy on acid again", but I kinda like the squared trigger guard. The ring trigger guard looks nice but I just think the square one seems better. Still, had I not stumbled upon my Vertec and were LTTs not a thing; I'd look hard at a 92A1
    I like it too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Have you considered the M9A3? The presence of the threaded barrel may be a plus or a minus for you, but having shot both it and my issued M9 I can say that the M9A3 completely blows my M9 away. It comes stock with a the D spring making the double action trigger pull roughly 8.5 pounds and is one of the smoothest I have ever felt out of a factory mass produced pistol. Additionally it comes with dovetailed factory night sights, a rail, thinner Vertec style grip (there is a rubber grip module included that makes it M9 sized), includes 3 magazines, and the redesigned safety makes it extremely difficult to accidentally place the pistol on safety when racking the slide.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BH321 View Post
    Have you considered the M9A3? The presence of the threaded barrel may be a plus or a minus for you, but having shot both it and my issued M9 I can say that the M9A3 completely blows my M9 away. It comes stock with a the D spring making the double action trigger pull roughly 8.5 pounds and is one of the smoothest I have ever felt out of a factory mass produced pistol. Additionally it comes with dovetailed factory night sights, a rail, thinner Vertec style grip (there is a rubber grip module included that makes it M9 sized), includes 3 magazines, and the redesigned safety makes it extremely difficult to accidentally place the pistol on safety when racking the slide.
    Possibly at some future point. Just ordered an 92A1 ($525 shipped).

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    If someone wants a well supported all metal DA/SA handgun, it's hard to overlook commercial Beretta 92 and variants.

Not ideal for concealed carry for most, but for HD or open carry they are great.

Feedback Score
    Arrived today. Some Beretta fanboys warned me to expect possible scratches, scuffs, or blemishes but this looks well finished with none of that. This is made in Italy, so maybe the Tennessee-made guns have finish issues?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast