Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new .308 SD round,Ideas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Looking for a new .308 SD round,Ideas?

So I have been using Federal TRU 165g for a number of years. When I went to order a new case I couldn’t find any. I guess I missed Federal D/C that offering. I’m down to just a few boxes left. I see they have a new tipped 168g TRU 308T. I can’t find any information, but maybe my google-fu is weak. The 155 TAP AMAX and 150 GD was recommended in the past. What’s the current all around lineup for SD/HD? Guns I use are 16” AR10, PTR 91, SA M21, and a couple Rem 700. Just want something that will cycle reliably and is good for SD/HD.

Thanks

FB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The 155gr Amax is still a great choice for non barrier. Any of the tipped loads seem to do pretty good here as well, 150 to 168 Rem, Win, Nos, etc.

GD/Fusion is good if you include barrier. I like the small tip for feeding in a semi vs most soft points.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Todd and Mega

I have read the link on TOS a number of times. I don’t think the .308 has been updated in a decade to include the newer rounds. I used the recommended old TRU that is no longer listed on LE Vista.

The AMAX and GD are cheaper than the 308T. Another option maybe the Fed Premium load that has the 165 SGK P308C.

FB
    Last edited by FatBoyHD; 12-16-18 at 21:39. Reason: Edit: wrong weight for SGK

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FatBoyHD View Post
    Thanks Todd and Mega

I have read the link on TOS a number of times. I don’t think the .308 has been updated in a decade to include the newer rounds. I used the recommended old TRU that is no longer listed on LE Vista.

The AMAX and GD are cheaper than the 308T. Another option maybe the Fed Premium load that has the 168 SGK P308C.

FB
    DocGKR is active on pistol-forum for specific questions. I cant comment on 308 as my applicable experience is pretty much zilch.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If your blowing holes in bad boys with a 308 load for HD, I think its safe to say they are going down. I'd pick something that cycles well and let it rip.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    I'll be phasing out of .308, but the last time I chose SD ammo I went with a 165 gr (May have been 168 gr, I forget) Sierra Game King JSP load.

Has good penetration and expansion. Wasn't concerned with barriers. I think I paid about $15 /20 rds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    If your blowing holes in bad boys with a 308 load for HD, I think its safe to say they are going down. I'd pick something that cycles well and let it rip.

PB
    Yep

Feedback Score
    Ron3: I think that’s the p308c round I was thinking about. You are correct at 165g. I have corrected my typo.

PB: AR15s are my close at hand longgun (64 g GD) but since I have .308s I’d just like to have a good round. GMM and FMJs have shown to be poor preformers per Doc and others. I have plenty of both and would use if needed.

FB

Feedback Score
    I'd pick the round that works the best in your rifle, .308/ 7.62X51 is going to shoot through a lot of stuff before stopping. With that said any bullet you use will suck the wind out of any bad guy and most likely change the game real quick in your favor.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post

PB
    That was my thought originally as well.

Seriously, though, any premium hunting bullet between 150 and 165 grains with a relatively small tip to feed well sounds pretty good to me.

My worry with the 7.62x52 /.308 would be over penetration but I'm thinking you have factors like that well in hand.

Andy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast