Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new .308 SD round,Ideas?

Feedback Score
    I kinda have to laugh when I read the threads on what ammo to buy for the 5.56 for when shtf, With 7.62X51 it's all real nasty!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There can be a significant difference in terminal, and barrier performance between different loads.

Understanding the difference and picking one that meets your needs is not something to laugh at... Or obsess too much over.

Feedback Score
    I agree.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    We used to use BH 168 AMAX in our bolt-guns to great effect. A few years back we went to the Ruger RPRs and found the Hornady 155 ELD shot tighter.

I would buy a box of different weight AMAX/ELD and see which one fires the tightest. We've had good luck punching auto-glass with ELD. We did use 164 Federal Bonded Soft-Point as our barrier load when still in the 168 AMAX, but no longer stock two rounds since the switch. Not sure what prompted the dropping of the 164 Fed as I was off snipers at that point and not involved in the testing.

Avoid anything SMK or BTHP at all costs other than shooting paper.

Feedback Score
    Thanks Tick

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    If your blowing holes in bad boys with a 308 load for HD, I think its safe to say they are going down. I'd pick something that cycles well and let it rip.

PB
    Yep

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    If your blowing holes in bad boys with a 308 load for HD, I think its safe to say they are going down. I'd pick something that cycles well and let it rip.

PB
    This.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Except for the well documented inconsistent performance of ball and OTM like SMK...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Except for the well documented inconsistent performance of ball and OTM like SMK...
    This. The 175gr SMK has a high chance of exiting the target and being a danger to those behind as well as deviating widely off target if it strikes a barrier first. For CONUS use where LE sniper engagements are more like 50 to 100yds max, you are better off giving up 0.5 MOA and getting a more consistently performing bullet like Gold Dot.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    And if you want a fragmenting round the various tipped bullets do so consistently.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast