Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Training for Reality: Reloads and Situational Awareness

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
    Another option would be for him to learn basic skills, including reloading while keeping his muzzle pointed in a direction such that in the event of a negligent discharge the bullet won't clear the berm.

You can rationalize it all you want; an unsafe act remains unsafe.

There's no question about whether it's improper. The picture provides all the data needed to DQ him on the spot.
    I was just watching this for entertainment, but now I have to chime in.

There nothing unsafe about the reload in that picture. Trigger finger clearly off the trigger. While it may be ideal to keep muzzle below the top of the backstop it’s pretty impractical.

Not sure what game your playing where you can DQ someone for that. Maybe a particular range or club rule but that’s not a USPSA DQ. I haven’t shot IDPA in a few years so I won’t speak to that. Now if a shooter sends one over the berm and they’re going home for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I understand the thread now.

I like this forum. In the short time I've been here, I've learned a lot. There seem to be guys here who know a lot about ARs.

On reflection, I'm disappointed.
    "When I have your wounded." -- Major Charles L. Kelly, callsign "Dustoff", refusing to acknowledge that an L.Z. was too hot, moments before being killed by a single shot, July 1st, 1964.

Black Lives Matter. All confederate symbols and monuments need to go.
    Proud to live in a sanctuary city.

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    I like this forum. In the short time I've been here, I've learned a lot. There seem to be guys here who know a lot about ARs.

On reflection, I'm disappointed.
    There needs to be a perspective of the situation and event. I used to do A LOT of gaming and have shot matches at clubs that you would get DQed for a reload as pictured, no arguement. With that said I'm no expert and mean no disrespect but let me ask you this... what direction would you prefer the muzzle be, say you're out in public caught up in an active shooter event and have people running all around you? Muzzle up would be the only safe option. Home invasion and your down stairs with the intruder and your kids are upstairs, muzzle up then becomes a no go. Working problems in a 360 degree environment differs from working problems in a shooting bay.

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    NICE write up/article as usual VooDoo.

Feedback Score
    I think the article is a good reality check overall.
    It makes one consider their purpose - are you training for ccw or competition?

The 1-reload-1 drill is an isolation drill to measure your performance. It may not be very applicable to ccw, but is huge in competition.

Your article seems to suggest Lucas speeds up his videos. I see this claimed a lot but have not seen evidence of it. On the contrary, the guy has competed and performed at a level consistent with what he displays on his IG page fwiw.

I know other personalities have been caught doing it, though.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-17-18 at 09:47.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.A.F.S. View Post
    NICE write up/article as usual VooDoo.
    Thanks brother.

Another option would be for him to learn basic skills, including reloading while keeping his muzzle pointed in a direction such that in the event of a negligent discharge the bullet won't clear the berm.

You can rationalize it all you want; an unsafe act remains unsafe.

There's no question about whether it's improper. The picture provides all the data needed to DQ him on the spot.
    ...DQ?

Please, seek out competent instructors to help you figure out what works, doesn't work and why.

Square range tactics and concepts have no place in reality.

Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I think the article is a good reality check overall.
    It makes one consider their purpose - are you training for ccw or competition?

The 1-reload-1 drill is an isolation drill to measure your performance. It may not be very applicable to ccw, but is huge in competition.

Your article seems to suggest Lucas speeds up his videos. I see this claimed a lot but have not seen evidence of it. On the contrary, the guy has competed and performed at a level consistent with what he displays on his IG page fwiw.

I know other personalities have been caught doing it, though.
    "Isolation drill to measure your performance" - in a vacuum? Real world performance cannot, and should never be, measured in a vacuum. That's how you develop false training paradigms.

I mentioned the holster and posted his video because he's the progenitor of that holster type concept. I don't care for anyone who carries with that holster as they are lacking real world experience and understanding of how real life violence occurs. I don't care what he does or does not do, nor what anyone who supports him or does anything like him or the like, I don't care about it beyond to point out its logical fallacies.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I mean...there’s a Marine who used to be on this board who many of us know personally who is in a wheelchair for the rest of his life at least partially because of a slow reload.

Is there more to fighting than shooting? Obviously. But...when it comes to the actual mechanics of shooting this disregard for competition is foolhardy and often strikes me as based in less reality than any stage ever was.

Frank Proctor says it best. https://youtu.be/_CXiUrx1TG0

Compete. It’s okay to get humbled by people that are “gaming”. Chances are they’re just better with a gun and we might learn something from them. And maybe they’d learn something from you on how to defend themselves with a gun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    .......................Compete. It’s okay to get humbled by people that are “gaming”. Chances are they’re just better with a gun and we might learn something from them...……..

I agree with this statement. I have been pretty much saying the same thing since the late 1970's. Keep your ego out of the equation and work toward your own goals.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    Thanks brother.

...DQ?

Please, seek out competent instructors to help you figure out what works, doesn't work and why.

Square range tactics and concepts have no place in reality.

"Isolation drill to measure your performance" - in a vacuum? Real world performance cannot, and should never be, measured in a vacuum. That's how you develop false training paradigms.

I mentioned the holster and posted his video because he's the progenitor of that holster type concept. I don't care for anyone who carries with that holster as they are lacking real world experience and understanding of how real life violence occurs. I don't care what he does or does not do, nor what anyone who supports him or does anything like him or the like, I don't care about it beyond to point out its logical fallacies.
    Regarding the bold: this is where we disagree/misunderstand. I agree the 1-r-1 should not be training, its a method of measurement. You need to measure stuff isolated to get real, scientific data.

Edit: I guess taking your article as only referring to ccw and leo (in a vaccum away from competition), yes, practicing reloads at all is pretty pointless. However, other metrics such as speed and accuracy are also measured in various drills, some of which are isolated- like an untimed b-8 at 25yds, or practicing sight tracking/recoil management while shooting at a berm.

How do you propose one measures his performance to track improvement?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-17-18 at 13:57.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

Article: Training for Reality: Reloads and Situational Awareness

Fundamentals of “running a gun” are identical regardless of the context, be it gaming or fighting.

I’m not seeing the disconnect here. Want to learn how to run a gun proficiently? Learn from the top competitors in the world.

Want to learn how to fight with a gun? Same thing but insert top gunfighters.

But the fundamentals don’t change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jpmuscle; 12-17-18 at 14:43.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast