Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Article: Training for Reality: Reloads and Situational Awareness

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    There's something you guys are missing which I've been working on an article about but it's a difficult one to cover clearly.

The repetitions you do on a daily basis, and the reps you burn training for a particular task are the actions you will do once you are in autopilot (180+hbpm). This is 100% true and indisputable in my opinion as it is constantly confirmed with various deadly force videos.

The issue is conflated here, people look at mil/le guys who shoot games now, after a long career and say "well there you go". Except those guys have burned tens of thousands of reps of a particular skill and it would take a very long time to uninstall those skillsets, but it can definitely occur.

Then we look at those who only shoot games, they may train on a weekend once every other month or like Tom Given's says in his classes, people check the box once or twice a year and they think they are "ready". That's just not how it works.

I've personally experienced being on autopilot on numerous occasions, I am still here because of my training and if that training would have been replaced with competition I wouldn't be here posting this, I have very little doubt about that.

Beyond this concept, the overarching concept which should be always consulted is "mindset". What are you doing, why, how does it effect your daily life and what skillsets are you installing at a level of unconscious competence. What is the logical progression of skillsets developments you are following? What universal concepts are you applying?

As I've stated previously in this thread, the only part of gaming which is the same for those who don't game is pulling the trigger. There are no aspects of mindset applicable to the real world, in fact there are skills which are installed unconsciously that can most definitely effect a person's survivability negatively, cops taught to put brass from their revolvers in their pockets, FBI agents taught to shoot twice reholster and reassess, and on the positive side cadence shooting for swat guys and other smaller known tactics for LEOs and the average citizen which is absolutely necessary to know and train but not present in any type of competition, like reactionary gap.

Again I'm not looking to litigate this topic here and I believe this thread has run it's course on this topic. I would advise anyone who only shoots games and only trains for games to change their training up and focus on real world concepts and skillsets. This may be extremely difficult to do depending on how much time/reps you've invested, but it's possible. Gaming is a way of being a better overall shooter, not the way, and definitely not the only way.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As I've stated previously in this thread, the only part of gaming which is the same for those who don't game is pulling the trigger. There are no aspects of mindset applicable to the real world

I think mainly folks are throwing the BS flag on such an absolute statement

There are skills which are installed unconsciously that can most definitely effect a person's survivability negatively.

I think most folks can easily see this point and your article might have focused on those actions or skills which you feel are negative.

The thing I will note is that when an expert says 'I have never seen' a reload be necessary in a gunfight, that doesn't mean 'I will never see' a reload be necessary in a gunfight.

You might have wanted to focused on the scars that repeated drills of 1 shot, reload, 1 shot, will instill, and then offer advice on how to learn to execute the 2.5 second front pocket reload consistently without scars.

I think most folks can see what you are saying and probably agree, but you kind of went over the top.

I'd say more, but OPSEC, you know.

ETA: Not OPSEC, but dayuum, you have some long paragraphs.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-22-18 at 12:16.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I am of the opinion you can learn something from anyone, whether it's at a match, formal training etc. From some people you learn how to do things and from some you learn how not to do things. Observe, retain and discard as necessary. Being openly critical at the event you are attending shuts people down and makes it difficult to learn.

Learn from the people who excel at what you are trying to master, competition or self defense. I've learned a great deal from people who cleaned my clock at pistol/rifle matches and those who were incredibly proficient at practical skills I was tasked to learn at work over the past 40 years. If you have tunnel vision, you will never learn anything outside your personal tunnel.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    �� great video

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    LAV is going to get DQed running a gun like that.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    LAV is going to get DQed running a gun like that.
    LOL.

I’m glad he okay’ed the slingshot... I cannot ingrain to hit the slide release to save my life.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Gunfighting.jpg

ETA: I'm 99% sure someone will think of something that can/should be added, but you get my point.
    Last edited by echo5whiskey; 12-26-18 at 21:31. Reason: Clarification
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    I can’t see any difference in reloading technique between what LAV demoed and what I observe Carry Optics and Production shooters do in a USPSA match.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I can’t see any difference in reloading technique between what LAV demoed and what I observe Carry Optics and Production shooters do in a USPSA match.
    I’m sure I’ll be corrected if I’m reading it wrong, but I believe the intent of the video was to show Vickers displaying the same reloading technique as the picture from the article way back when this thread started. Said picture caught some flak for showing an improper loading technique due to the muzzle (FWIW- it wasn’t me). There was mention that the supposed lack of muzzle control would get you booted from the range and it went downhill from there.

If you’re already aware of that, then I apologize for wasting bandwidth.
    Last edited by TheTick; 12-26-18 at 23:19.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast