Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50gr vmax and CFE223 AR-15 pet loads

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

50gr vmax and CFE223 AR-15 pet loads

Anybody using this combination and found a solid pet load. I’ve got 3000 of the 50gr Vmax and 8lbs of CFE223 horded for a prairie dog shoot this next spring but haven’t started any load development yet.
    Last edited by Kansaswoodguy; 12-16-18 at 20:17.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Good luck, hard to go wrong with that vmax. We use Benchmark and H322, but no CFE, all the best.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    You'd have to work really hard to make those bullets shoot poorly. I'd start around published max, and go from there.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Finally did a little load workup with this combo all five shot groups COL 2.260”

27.5gr. 3036fps SD35 .75”
    27.8gr. 3085fps SD9 .75”
    28.1gr. 3128fps SD44 .9”
    28.4gr. 3175fps SD58 .75”
    28.7gr. 3274fps SD54 1.3”

I’ll be honest I wasn’t really pleased I was hoping for a flat spot in the velocity and this was very linear. I tried a second gun I will more than likely bring on the dog hunt it didn’t like the 27.8gr load at all. Going to try same test at COL 2.210” already have them loaded just waiting on some decent weather. If they aren’t better I’ll try 55gr z-max I think I’ve got about 3000 of them also. I did pick up a pound of Reloader 10X I suspect it may be better with the 50gr’s
    Last edited by Kansaswoodguy; 01-15-19 at 17:11.

Feedback Score
    Try N133, Sent a couple of train car's full of PD's to the promise land with 50 gr V Max. Never found a better powder in the half dozen .223's I took west!
    5 shank,

Feedback Score
    What barrel length?

I've never loaded Hornady 50's before but have had very good success with CFE and 55 grain bullets, both Nosler BT's and Sierra HPBT in all my AR's. I worked up some loads when H335 got scarce around here about a year ago and CFE was running a few bucks cheaper. TAC would be another choice I'd try as well.

Feedback Score
    I’ve also had better luck with CFE223 with 55gr but wanted to use up some of my 50gr. Scheels yesterday had Reloader 10X on sale $22 a pound. My first choice for these 50’s would be Benchmark. I’m just using up some powders leftover from the “Great Obummer powder famine” stuff I bought simply because it was in stock at the time.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kansaswoodguy View Post
    I’ve also had better luck with CFE223 with 55gr but wanted to use up some of my 50gr. Scheels yesterday had Reloader 10X on sale $22 a pound. My first choice for these 50’s would be Benchmark. I’m just using up some powders leftover from the “Great Obummer powder famine” stuff I bought simply because it was in stock at the time.
    Scheels

That place is why I drive past Bass Pro on I35 and take the Santa Fe exit East.

The "scenery" is far and away worth the trip as well

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My hornady tap load is 55 vmax with 24.7 benchmark loaded 2.23 oal. Very accurate and supposed to be the same recipe used by hornady for their leo ammo.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'm down a VMax rabbit hole right now. Used them last year on PD's, a mix of the Fiocchi factory load which was very satisfactory and some old handloads from 1999. Decided to hand load at least a thousand for this summer to compliment some factory loads. I'm using up some old 748 powder.... might not be the wonder powder of the month but it still can hang (last I knew). Have used up some barrel life just chronographing.... using the same 55 VMax as the Fiocchi load, then I see there's a 53 grainer with boat tail and the BC goes from .255 to .290, no big whoop I guess but for the same powder charge I'm getting another 100-plus FPS. I just need to group test the final load. Tested like five different kinds of primers and virtually no dif in velocity but CCI 400 emerges as usually giving a significantly lower ES. Not even recording SD after talking to a PhD math whiz who says in a five round sample it means little to nothing, the minimum in academia would be a sample of 40. I dunno but I do know that an ES of 10 or 30 is gonna give a much better SD than 77 or 108.

I just wish they only made one or the other but no, Hornady makes the .224 VMax in 35&40 grain, 50 BT, 53 BT, 55 Flat Base, 55 FB w/ cannelure, and a 60 BT (G1 BC of .265). Analysis paralysis.

I have stopped processing my own brass. It is just too much of a bogger-downer, so I buy it processed from Everglades or Mountaineer Brass (mountaineerbrass@ymail.com). There's a nother I don't have the contact ammo handy Mountaineer has no site I think. but for the price, to me, it's worth the time saved. None of them get the case mouth perfect, they have both told me they're using the Gracie trimmer, dunno if it's just a dull cutter or what but I re-chamfer every one-- other than that they're fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast