Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Forward Controls Adjustable Turret Caps for Aimpoint Micro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yep should work. ATA being slightly taller to accommodate the rotating element, the ATA will be taller than the IO cover's protective fence. But ATA is made of 17-4 SS, it doesn't need a soft cover's fence
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Roger, you're a dang genius.

Again.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I just don't see the need. How often do you really need to dial in your RDS? Maybe once?? Looks like a solution looking for a problem to me.
    I love it, as I think this would be ideal for 300 blk. Right now I run a aero lightweight mount and leupold vx-r patrol on my SBR as it is the lightest setup where I can dial a different poi for super and sub, suppressed and not. This would allow me to easily dial my T1 for different configurations, without resorting to an optic that is more oriented toward longer range shooting.

It also could more easily facilitate moving an aimpoint between different rifles or uppers by tracking and recording zero variances.

I’ll be ordering some...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    These are gonna be cool!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you guys

Credit for the idea goes to MistWolf, he had approached us with the concept, and we developed it. ATA is a simple solution, it isn't perfect, but short of redesigning the sight, ATA does what it's designed to do. ATA consists of 3 parts, a cap and a disc, and an O ring. The internal O ring is lubricated with silicon based lubricant, and will need to be reapplied when the cap starts to rotate with the disc too often.

In a pinch, petroleum jelly can be used for the job.

It was rather interesting to see the water immersion results from the lab. Neither the factory caps nor the ATA had managed to completely keep out minute amount of moisture, but with both caps and in all tested depths, both were able to shield the adjustment mechanism from the water pressure, which if left unchecked, would have forced water into the sight itself.

Early on we had inquired if the caps needed to be on at all (rhetorical question in retrospect, why provide a cap and an O ring below the cap otherwise), Aimpoint had explained that while still water resistant, the sights need the caps to go to the listed depths.

We also looked at different rotating elements, and decided that simple is best. Potential options for the rotating element included a finger adjustable turret, a different slot for the rim of the cartridge, but neither proved practical, or necessary, respectively. The cap's diminutive size would have made a finger adjustable turret equally small and thus difficult to grasp and turn, not to mention it would increase ATA's installed height. It was also decided it wasn't necessary to raise the disc above the top of the cap, as it didn't help make anything better or easier, but only increased the installed height. A concave slot would be subject to the curve of the rim of various cartridges, where one would work great but another caliber's cartridge rim wouldn't. So a simple slot was used instead that's not biased towards any caliber.

The 16 serrations which correspond to the 16 tick marks may not be something folks use, but we had the opportunity to give the serrations a function that's provided with the factory cap, and it doesn't cost more to incorporate it, so why not Once zeroed, the user can mark the zero with a paint pen, the serrations do function better than the factory caps, since the cap and its serrations/tick markings remain stationary while you turn the disc, whereas with the factory cap, both the cap and tick marks rotate as you turn it.

For a small part, there was a lot of thought that went into it. For users that don't forget to screw the factory caps back on, don't mind the clumsy way adjustment is performed, and rarely, if ever, make adjustments again, ATA is not necessary. Machined from 17-4 stainless steel bar stock, small parts are not easy to make, especially given the disc must rotate smoothly, and the tight tolerance required to perform as well as an enclosed factory cap in water immersion tests.

We could have laser engraved the markings on the discs, but we chose to use the more expensive machine engraving. We could have used a lesser material, but we used 17-4 stainless steel. FCD lavishes on material, coating and construction when they make a functional difference, it isn't a ploy so we can command a higher cost, nor is it a catchy fashion material to invoke customers' imagination, ATA is designed for work, not for show.

For the user that has lost a cap or two, and finds the process tedious and unintuitive, ATA is a superbly made replacement caps that do more than replacing the factory caps.
    Last edited by Duffy; 12-19-18 at 05:26.

Feedback Score
    Looks like a great idea, but is there any concern about the possibility of bumping the caps now and changing the optic's zero?
    Last edited by RKR; 12-19-18 at 05:53.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RKR View Post
    Looks like a great idea, but is there any concern about the possibility of bumping the caps now and changing the optic's zero?
    Little, if any. The outer cap, once snugged in place, is stationary. The disc, which is used to make the adjustments, fits flush with the top of the cap and needs a tool like a screwdriver, coin or case rim, to turn.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Little, if any. The outer cap, once snugged in place, is stationary. The disc, which is used to make the adjustments, fits flush with the top of the cap and needs a tool like a screwdriver, coin or case rim, to turn.
    Fantastic. Brilliant solution. I would think Aimpoint would be interested.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Once the cap is installed and snug, it'd be fairly difficult to rotate it without using an opposing thumb and a finger. The bottom of the cap should be making contact and applying pressure (thus creating a seal), and there's some forgiveness there, as you can install the cap where the cap just makes contact and applies pressure on the O ring and stop, or continue to rotate the cap by another 90 degrees, more like 180 degrees, before the cap can't be rotated anymore. When the cap is on it that tight, it's compressing both of the O rings a great deal, and it is almost impossible to rotate the disc now without also rotating the cap.

There are circumstances under which the cap can rotate:
    1. When the cap is too tight
    2. When the internal O ring requires lubrication

ATA ships with the internal O ring already installed and lubricated (a time consuming process itself), and will remain lubricated under normal use, as it isn't exposed to direct sun light and open to the world. O rings are consumables, so we provide an extra set of lubricated O rings in each ATA package, ATA owner is responsible for lubricating the internal O ring from time to time, especially if and when the cap starts to rotate with the disc.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cbthedookie View Post
    I love it, as I think this would be ideal for 300 blk. Right now I run a aero lightweight mount and leupold vx-r patrol on my SBR as it is the lightest setup where I can dial a different poi for super and sub, suppressed and not. This would allow me to easily dial my T1 for different configurations, without resorting to an optic that is more oriented toward longer range shooting.

It also could more easily facilitate moving an aimpoint between different rifles or uppers by tracking and recording zero variances.

I’ll be ordering some...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is exactly what I was thinking. I have a 300 BLK, and this will be perfect for elevation changes when switching from subs to supers. Run the elevation knob and go.

I also have a couple of shotguns with Aimpoints. Every zero for one slug, and then switch to a different one? And a 25-yard zero is almost always going to be different than slugs. If I had a shotty that I was using for deer hunting (which is officially a thing in the eastern states) I'd love to be able to easily dial in changes in a blind.

People spend a lot more than 45 bucks on things that have much less utility, in my very humble opinion.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast