Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frustrating trip to the range

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by drvred View Post
    ...I can't figure out why the third shot was always a flyer...Any ideas?
    Yeah-
    At the end of the day... I found that the mounts were loose and sliding on the rail
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If I can get rid of the flyer, it should be significantly better than 3".
    I hope the Winchester isn't crap, I have 600 rounds of it. :-(
    The bullets in that ammo aren't in the same arena as a good quality SMK or Vmax. If the mounts/rings are tight, the bullet is the next piece of the puzzle.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Yeah-
    I was sure I had misread the question.

Nothing of value was learned during this range trip. Properly secure and torque your optic and try again....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    I was sure I had misread the question.

Nothing of value was learned during this range trip. Properly secure and torque your optic and try again....
    We've had bases loose where you could not feel it, but once disassembled, rub marks were visible where things were not really as tight as they felt.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    We've had bases loose where you could not feel it, but once disassembled, rub marks were visible where things were not really as tight as they felt.
    Oh ditto. Cough...LaRue...cough.

Sure. I think that’s what was going on for most of this guy’s trip. Optic is staying on...but shifting every shot, and at 25 yards it’s so close that we can’t really tell what’s happening nor from what especially with the loose optic.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    My have lived this nightmare for several weeks in a row before discovery. Your lucky it came way loose fast. I was warned just last night to rockset or loctite my Ruger Precision Rifle ( RPR ) base down. When I checked it two screws were kinda tight and two were barely tight. Not to derail, but if you own an RPR, lock em down.

For that matter, if you have bases, lock them down.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    Exactly. This is the biggest variable in the whole equation. Don't worry about other variables until you're sure this one is fixed.

BTW, I'd go with 5 shot groups instead of 3. You're far more likely to get lucky with a 3 shot group. You're not likely at all to get lucky with a 5 shot group and the results of separate 5 shot groups are much more likely to be similar, all else being equal.

Feedback Score
    Ok tightened and Loc-tighted bases, went back to the range yesterday.
    Sighted at 50 yards, no crazy flyers, then moved over to the 500 yard steel range.
    Wore the 300 yard target out.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ok tightened and Loc-tighted bases, went back to the range yesterday.
    Sighted at 50 yards, no crazy flyers, then moved over to the 500 yard steel range.
    Wore the 300 yard target out.
    Well done, how did 100 yard shooting go? 50 yards is ok, and steel is fun to hit but doesn't always tell extreme accuracy. But there is no doubt your well on your way.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12