Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excellent condition 95% + Colt SP1 Carbine values???

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Excellent condition 95% + Colt SP1 Carbine values???

Hey gents, I'm outta my league a bit on the retro or collector stuff, but I want my damn KISS Colt back, and am at a gunshow staring at a beautiful, almost flawless looking SP1 carbine. Looks to be shot, but very little. Perhaps the nicest non NIB SP1 Ive seen fwiw.

No box, no papers, no accs., 1 mag, and the OEM sling. Sticker is $2350. I told him I'd be back in 30minutes with an offer. $2350 is never gonna happen, however what about $2k.

Should I just altogether pass, and just rebuild my Colt 6520. One thing I do know I think.....this particular gun should only go up and up in value as times goes on given it's treated right, and protected. I'm kinda thinking more investment, or perhaps it's mental gymnastics.

Feedback Score
    A little high but you only live once. Plus they aren't making any more. Should be a good investment if you plan on keeping it like new.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I know I am a little late responding, but I have to weigh in. A few years ago, I paid $1800 for a excellent condition 1981 SP1 Carbine. This did not include any accessories, manual, or box. Book value was about $2500 at the time. That said, If you were able to get the carbine for $2000 or somewhere close, you would have done well. Original SP1 Carbines are getting few and far between as many are stripped down and sold for parts. I hope you were able to make a deal on that carbine.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    There’s a near 100% condition SP1 in my area for $1500. Its tempting.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    For a near 100% condition SP1 Sporter, that would be a good price these days. Most likely, it is a mid to late 1970s model for that price. About 10 years ago, I bought a mint condition 1977 SP1 Sporter for $1K at a local gun show. It is still in mint condition. It is not going anywhere.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    For a near 100% condition SP1 Sporter, that would be a good price these days. Most likely, it is a mid to late 1970s model for that price. About 10 years ago, I bought a mint condition 1977 SP1 Sporter for $1K at a local gun show. It is still in mint condition. It is not going anywhere.
    I don’t know anything about dating SP1’s, but its a completely slickside upper, if that means anything.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I offered $1800....saw his grimace, and long delay so I went ahead and gave him my final number.....$1900. He countered with a firm $2200. The gent has become somewhat of a friend over the last several months at shows I've seen him at, and he told me he had a $600 SKS, and $1400 cash into the rifle as it sits.

Considering the ARs I have already, any AR would be dumb for me to buy....but imho, that is without question the sexist little KISS carbine I've ever fondled. Funnily enough the stock was the thing that I almost just couldn't walk from, that and those old school skinny handguards on it. I've bought several NIB colts since around 2007, and everyone looked more dinged up than this pristine SP1 carbine.

Either way, I honestly feel privileged just to play around with it for an hour or so, and contemplate the thought of owning such an exquisite weapon. Ive seen the SP1 carbines in pics and stuff, but after getting hands on with a primo specimen, this is without question the sexist, coolest, KISS carbine ever built, again imho. The 6520 is a minivan in comparison. Thanks guys very much for the help, and after seeing Renegade's Retro army, I think it's save to take his advice.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don’t know anything about dating SP1’s, but its a completely slickside upper, if that means anything.
    Colt SP1 Sporters, SP1 Carbines, AR-15 A2s, AR-15 A2 Carbines, and some others are easily dated by serial number range. The early 1960s (starting in 1963) SP1s are quite pricey when you can find them for sale. Depending on condition, $3000-$3500. Early 1970s SP1 can be around $2500. Mid to late 1970s SP1s bring around $1200-$1700 depending on the state and the market. SP1 Carbines generally bring higher values than the Sporter. Seeing them for sale for around $2500 is not uncommon.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I forgot to ask, since you actually own one of these gems, can I assume you shoot it since your on M4C? Some pics would be fantastic as well.

If so, what kinda of schedule do you put it on, do you take any special precautions with it. Damn it's crazy I want a close to 40yr old AR when I have one or two SRs, and MRPs that I currently consider the best defense firearm I can own. Why go back in time before the AR got to be the absolute razor edge sharpness it is now in terms of refinement. We've mastered controls finally, something just 5yrs ago I essentially gave up on in regards to anybody but KAC, and boutique high end ARs to feature OEM rifles with full ambi, and advanced controls. Combine that with twist rates, 1000x more modularity, perfecting and totally controlling gassing, especially in regard to suppressing them. Throw in the advancements to the RE, and buffers....one would be crazy to buy a used SP-1 Carbine, when right down the road one can buy a new MARs MRP or an SR 15 in the current flavor for exactly the same amount of money??

My answer to the question above personally I think......cause it's everything the modern day AR isn't, yet has all the true pedigree, DNA, and history of being a Tier 1 rifle then and still now given you can run KISS setups.

Kinda a humbling moment in my AR love affair, I've honestly never seen the point to retros and had no interest in them outside of what they would represent in terms of the incremental advancements they might feature. Still not sure I'd ever get into modern produced retro rifles, although if I hit powerball….I'll have it all boys!

The power of one aged, tiny, and perfectly balanced pony in a man's hand can change things in a NY minute for sure. I wish I never f**ked with my factory 6520....thus far it's my thrown away rookie Mantle card. Still have the most important part perhaps, but damn its hard to find a almost new 6520 upper from the vintage of 2007-08 era. Restricted marked days.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 10-21-18 at 01:26.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCOAR View Post
    I forgot to ask, since you actually own one of these gems, can I assume you shoot it since your on M4C? Some pics would be fantastic as well.

I don’t own one, just handle one lustfully at a dusty gun store that I live near. The rifles I own are newer, but I sometimes question if they are really “better”.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast