Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCormick,Pro Mag & Mec-gar

Feedback Score

McCormick,Pro Mag & Mec-gar

I only use Wilsons for CCW.That out of the way what about McCormick,Pro Mag,Mec-gar for competition or range use in a 1911 45Acp.They are a bit cheaper in price.So your constructive comments please.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I’ve never had any issues with McCormick PowerMags. I wouldn’t hesitate to carry those or use them in a defensive gun. However, I’ve only ever used them as range mags. My 1911 is a range toy for me. I have a few Wilson mags too and have never experienced issues with them either. In fact all my 1911 mags are either McCormicks or Wilsons. With those 2 brands being relatively cheap, I don’t see the need to stray from them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I recently had some $5 gun show .45 mags croak spectacularly at the range (see related thread). I bought the Wilson ETM to replace them, three of them. I haven't shot them yet but the fit and finish make them look like they were designed by NASA for Delta Force.

When I carried an Officer's size 9mm 1911, I relied on Mec-Gar. Mec-Gar magazines are made in Italy and are OEM for many manufacturer's guns. They are also top quality and I trusted my life to them. I also use Mec-Gar in my 10mm 1911 and there agaain, they perform perfectly.

I have shot McCormick mags in 1911 but never owned any. Not a hint of a problem there, either.

I'd rely on any of these for my life in the Big City.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    New McCormicks, two thumbs up. I never had good luck with the older versions.

MecGar may seem pedestrian because the are so common as OEM but I always find them good, although I typically upgrade them for a custom gun with a Tripp Sper-7 kit and TIG the floorplates on for a little added insurance.

Feedback Score
    McCormick and Mec-Gar don't belong in the same sentence as ProMag. I would never buy anything from ProMag.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have several CMC Shooting Stars w/ the Tripp Super-7 kits. As well as Mec-Gar. Both have been gtg for years now. Several of the now discontinued Wilson Service Mag Plus (stainless). I then discovered they were made by Checkmate (7 rounds) therefore I purchased several blued ones of those. I find them to be gtg too.
    Last edited by bamashooter; 12-21-18 at 08:21.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackblack73 View Post
    McCormick and Mec-Gar don't belong in the same sentence as ProMag. I would never buy anything from ProMag.
    This^

ProMags are good as targets

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    How are the Brownells Gen. 2s? I've had good luck with their AR15 magazines, the AR10s stunk....

Feedback Score
    Okay I think Im getting the gist.Pro Mags are out McCormick and Mec-Gar are in .Thank you all and have a Merry Christmas

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by alcante262 View Post
    Okay I think Im getting the gist.Pro Mags are out McCormick and Mec-Gar are in .Thank you all and have a Merry Christmas
    This. I have no experience with Pro Mag pistol mags, but their Mini-14 and AR mags are junk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast