Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting into hunting advice

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Getting into hunting advice

So hunting is something I have never done before, but have wanted to for a long time (specifically deer and hog). The thing is I have no idea where to start. So just asking for some advice what I could do to get started.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freewilly5759 View Post
    So hunting is something I have never done before, but have wanted to for a long time (specifically deer and hog). The thing is I have no idea where to start. So just asking for some advice what I could do to get started.
    What state do you live in? Do you or friends have large tracts of land with animals on it or are you going to be a public land hunter? Deer are pretty easy to hunt, what level of land access you have is the thing none of us know. And different states/ecosystems will be better suited to different approaches in terms of finding shots on animals.

Other than that I’d spend some time watching videos on how to gut four legged critters(because then everything you hunt will follow the same basic formula.) Remember that gutting and animal quickly and cooling it off while keeping it clean is the secret to delicious game meat.

Camo, scent control products, cover scents, lures, and so forth are almost entirely bullshit...especially for rifle hunting. Don’t wear cologne or smoke in the woods and pay attention to the wind, and move slowly instead. I do wear camo, but for deer I really don’t believe it matters very much.

I’ll give something valuable as soon as I learn where and what you’re hunting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Take a hunter safety course.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Definitely this. Depending on your age it’s almost certainly required by law, and you’ll actually learn a lot, especially since you are new.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    What state do you live in? Do you or friends have large tracts of land with animals on it or are you going to be a public land hunter? Deer are pretty easy to hunt, what level of land access you have is the thing none of us know. And different states/ecosystems will be better suited to different approaches in terms of finding shots on animals.

Other than that I’d spend some time watching videos on how to gut four legged critters(because then everything you hunt will follow the same basic formula.) Remember that gutting and animal quickly and cooling it off while keeping it clean is the secret to delicious game meat.

Camo, scent control products, cover scents, lures, and so forth are almost entirely bullshit...especially for rifle hunting. Don’t wear cologne or smoke in the woods and pay attention to the wind, and move slowly instead. I do wear camo, but for deer I really don’t believe it matters very much.

I’ll give something valuable as soon as I learn where and what you’re hunting.
    Deer and hog is really what I am interested in. I live in GA (North of Atlanta), but moved here from TX last year so I only know one person that hunts here. I am not sure what level of land access he has but as far as I am concerned it’s just public right now.

I’ve watched a good handful of YouTube videos on skinning and gutting. Actually got me more interested and I started watching other animals. I guess that’s how you know you are fine hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’ll definitely check to see where I can take a course. Up until now I’ve done some USPSA and tactical type shooting and courses (and continued courses) are something that are always a must to me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Deer processing DVD

https://secure.kentucky.gov/Inventor...6-d8e5866a2d76

that is the method I use for gutting and got paid a compliment at the slaughter house last month over how neat and clean my doe was.

Bearded Butchers on YouTube are very good also.

Have fun and pay attention to the things going on around you while out in the field. There are a lot of things to take in that are worth your time.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Getting into hunting advice

Quote Originally Posted by Freewilly5759 View Post
    I’ll definitely check to see where I can take a course. Up until now I’ve done some USPSA and tactical type shooting and courses (and continued courses) are something that are always a must to me.

You can do it online.
    https://www.hunter-ed.com/georgia/?c...hoCmj4QAvD_BwE
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 12-20-18 at 17:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Contact your local fish/game/wildlife authority, and ask for their outdoor education division. Ask those folks about learning opportunities for what you're interested in. Many states have programs that are geared toward adult first-timers to bolster the sport(s).
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks! Looking at this now.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    Deer processing DVD

https://secure.kentucky.gov/Inventor...6-d8e5866a2d76

that is the method I use for gutting and got paid a compliment at the slaughter house last month over how neat and clean my doe was.

Bearded Butchers on YouTube are very good also.

Have fun and pay attention to the things going on around you while out in the field. There are a lot of things to take in that are worth your time.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    Contact your local fish/game/wildlife authority, and ask for their outdoor education division. Ask those folks about learning opportunities for what you're interested in. Many states have programs that are geared toward adult first-timers to bolster the sport(s).
    I just took a quick look on the GA Wildlife website, looks like they even have apprenticeship programs.

https://georgiawildlife.com/mentor

Feedback Score
    Same boat here - never been but want to. I'm north of ATL myself and just wrapped up the hunter safety course online. It took a couple of hours to get through but well worth it.

Sent from my Speak & Spell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast