Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting into hunting advice

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Getting out and just doing it goes a long way. Learning on the job bushcraft combined with common sense also goes a long way. I grew up roaming the woods first with a BB gun, then a single shot .22, then a .410, next a 30.06. The smells, the sounds, wind or no, trails, the vibe of the area, all combine to dictate one’s actions.

Coming home empty handed didn’t mean it was a bad day. Grew up in NC and now live in UT. Definitely a different feel to the woods here along with mtn. lions, large bear, elk, moose, and goats. Longer ranges and higher mtns. Hate all the rattlers around when warm.

Just do it. Going to start the kids out this summer learning the ways of the wild.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I’ve been to UT a few times and hiked. It is beautiful out there!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    We like it and the LDS are good peeps. I try to appreciate the scenery every drive. However, not a fan of SLC.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Getting into hunting advice

Quote Originally Posted by 6933 View Post
    We like it and the LDS are good peeps. I try to appreciate the scenery every drive. However, not a fan of SLC.
    That because you don’t know what a wonderful village it is. https://youtu.be/YSIvDrHQUWY

Sorry for the derailment...but you’re welcome.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 01-14-19 at 22:55.

Feedback Score
    Check out The Complete Guide to Hunting, Butchering, and Cooking Wild Game: Volume 1: Big Game by Steve Rinella. It’s a great resource that covers a ton of material for under $20. He has a podcast as well (The Meateater Podcast) that is excellent and interesting to listen to even if you’re not a hunter.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    skywalksNCSU- Had a lot of friends go to N.C. State. My parents moved to TN the summer after I finished high school. Did 1.5yrs. at ECU and then transferred to Univ. of TN. Got accepted to State but had a ton of friends going to EZU.

State was for the nerds.

Feedback Score
    We hunt out of stands in GA for safety. Your bullet should go into the ground right after passing through the deer. That way you don't hit one of the other hunters who is probably within a couple of hundred yards of you.

Your other option for deer in GA is to join a dog club. It's more active and more work. Driving with dogs is more sporting and social than hunting out of a stand, but dog clubs are harder to find. The scarcity of large tracts of land usually mean you have to travel to hunt.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123