Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting into hunting advice

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As a hunter ed instructor in Alaska, I support some of the online classes, but it really removes meeting new people and posing questions to instructors that you get from having a live class. I have taken numerous students of mine out for their first hunts and gotten them started.

Georgia has this program, which may be a good way to get started. https://georgiawildlife.com/LearntoHuntFish

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    First off I highly recommend reading this book by Peter Fiduccia “Whitetail Strategies” Tons of great information especially for a beginner it will definitely get you started on the right track.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitetail-Str.../dp/0883172798

When I was in my early 20’s I had to have back surgery and was laid up off work for 9 months. I was still fairly new to hunting, so I did a lot of reading and research during that time and it dramatically improved my confidence and success rate. This book was a huge part of it, along with hunting magazines and hunting shows.

The biggest part of it is learning and understanding the animal. Learn it’s behavior and habits, what does it do and why, which is what will ultimately determine how you need to effectively hunt a certain piece of land. Deer are pretty predictable for the most part they are creatures of habit. Focus in on food, water, and bedding areas and how they travel to and from them.

Scouting is paramount for your success especially in new unfamiliar territory. I’d look at a satellite view of the area you will be hunting before even stepping foot on it to see how it lays out, look for the obvious, food/crops, water source, pinch points, and their suspected travel routes in between. Don’t wait until just before next season to walk it, go after the season ends while sign is still more visible and fresh like rubs and scrapes, again creatures of habit if there’s sign there now you can pretty much bet there will be next season too. Doing some homework first will increase your chances of finding sign and hot spots quicker and easier while decreasing the amount of tromping around running more risk of spooking game off.

Other factors are will you be hunting with a bow or a gun? In a tree stand or on the ground? Are you trophy hunting for a big buck or just looking to fill the freezer? Do your scouting accordingly. Keep wind direction in mind when selecting a stand/blind location and how you anticipate the deer to approach, and also how it will affect your entry and exit. The wind can be your best friend or worst enemy wen it comes to deer and hog hunting their sense of smell is greater than a bloodhound and is their #1 defense mechanism.

I’m a firm believer in scent control products, you cannot completely eliminate your human scent but you can certainly diminish it significantly. Scent free laundry detergent, shampoo, and soap. It is much more critical for bow hunting than it is with a gun obviously as you are at closer range. Either way ALWAYS play the wind to your advantage.

As for lures such as urine, estrous, buck n rut etc... I have not used them all that much so I can’t say whether they work or not. Calls on the other hand definitely work when used properly, they have their place and time when they can be effective. Make sure you have the right gear and clothing to be prepared and comfortable for the conditions you’ll be hunting in, this will play a huge role in having patience, which in turn will equal success and having more fun.
    Work so hard that one day your signature will be called an autograph.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBtech View Post
    First off I highly recommend reading this book by Peter Fiduccia “Whitetail Strategies” Tons of great information especially for a beginner it will definitely get you started on the right track.

https://www.amazon.com/Whitetail-Str.../dp/0883172798

When I was in my early 20’s I had to have back surgery and was laid up off work for 9 months. I was still fairly new to hunting, so I did a lot of reading and research during that time and it dramatically improved my confidence and success rate. This book was a huge part of it, along with hunting magazines and hunting shows.

The biggest part of it is learning and understanding the animal. Learn it’s behavior and habits, what does it do and why, which is what will ultimately determine how you need to effectively hunt a certain piece of land. Deer are pretty predictable for the most part they are creatures of habit. Focus in on food, water, and bedding areas and how they travel to and from them.

Scouting is paramount for your success especially in new unfamiliar territory. I’d look at a satellite view of the area you will be hunting before even stepping foot on it to see how it lays out, look for the obvious, food/crops, water source, pinch points, and their suspected travel routes in between. Don’t wait until just before next season to walk it, go after the season ends while sign is still more visible and fresh like rubs and scrapes, again creatures of habit if there’s sign there now you can pretty much bet there will be next season too. Doing some homework first will increase your chances of finding sign and hot spots quicker and easier while decreasing the amount of tromping around running more risk of spooking game off.

Other factors are will you be hunting with a bow or a gun? In a tree stand or on the ground? Are you trophy hunting for a big buck or just looking to fill the freezer? Do your scouting accordingly. Keep wind direction in mind when selecting a stand/blind location and how you anticipate the deer to approach, and also how it will affect your entry and exit. The wind can be your best friend or worst enemy wen it comes to deer and hog hunting their sense of smell is greater than a bloodhound and is their #1 defense mechanism.

I’m a firm believer in scent control products, you cannot completely eliminate your human scent but you can certainly diminish it significantly. Scent free laundry detergent, shampoo, and soap. It is much more critical for bow hunting than it is with a gun obviously as you are at closer range. Either way ALWAYS play the wind to your advantage.

As for lures such as urine, estrous, buck n rut etc... I have not used them all that much so I can’t say whether they work or not. Calls on the other hand definitely work when used properly, they have their place and time when they can be effective. Make sure you have the right gear and clothing to be prepared and comfortable for the conditions you’ll be hunting in, this will play a huge role in having patience, which in turn will equal success and having more fun.
    Wow! Thanks for all the info everyone! I would like to try bow hunting one of these days but since I already have a Rem 700, I’ll be starting out with that. Stocking up the freezer is what I have in mind. If I can I would like to learn to hunt on the ground.

Feedback Score
    If you want to LEARN to hunt, start with small game first. Sq. hunting will teach you just about everything you need to know. Anyone who can take a limit of sq. in a day consistently is a pretty good hunter.

If you just want to kill deer and hogs, join a high dollar club. Get a Millenium stand to put near an All Seasons corn slinger.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    From a gear standpoint, get a gun that is appropriate for the game to be taken. Then get some good binos, in Atlanta I doubt a spotting scope is needed but ask around. Get the appropriate clothing, please know that the camo story is largely bullshit, what is not is that you need warm or waterproof gear. Boots jackets pants gloves etc.

Just like anything else, get out there and try and figure out what you dont know. Its good to do your research, but not paralysis by analysis, go out and hunt and kill something.

Good luck.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    LEARN the difference between HUNTING an animal...and SHOOTING one.
    Example: I LOATHE canned hunts, should be outlawed imo. Anyway- a couple a few years before his death, I came upon a "hunting" show whilst flippin channels,
    and there was Dale Earnhardt sittin way up in a fancy assed "tree stand"..RIFLE IN A FIXED MOUNT..overlooking a beanfield inside a hunting ".preserve".
    Had some custom God only knows what it cost Magnum rifle, and when the hand raised bucks walked out into the field about 400 yards away..he popped one.
    He acted like had just stalked a Kodiak bear with a longbow. He NO MORE HUNTED A DEER than the man in the moon...he SHOT one, period. What cowardice.
    PURE bullshit, Id be ashamed to know I was that lazy, and/or piss poor a hunter that I had to reside to that for SPORT.
    Survival- hell yes. But I dont think D.E. was in survival mode. Ive hated that crap ever since, and could NOT give less than a damn who agrees or dis-agrees.
    GET OUT-PUT FEET ON THE GROUND- LEARN SOME BUSHCRAFT-LEARN ANATOMY-LEARN TO HOW/WHEN/WHERE TO SHOOT- LEARN TO TRACK-AND DONT BE AFRAID OR EMBARRASSED OR MAD TO COME HOME EMTPY. LOVE the blessing of the woods..just being out there. Dont desire to kill anything & everything that walks or comes by. DONT use some f-ing Magnum rifle to kill a 150lb +or- deer..my God they aint wearing body armor. Dont ride a F-ING 4 WHEELER ALL OVER THE WOODS..walk & look & listen learn, each time you are out. Learn a fresh track from old, doe from buck..its SPORT..NOT LIFE OR DEATH.
    THATS a different deal altogether.
    And most importantly- be DAMNNED CAREFUL around these utter Fudd BUFOONS runnin around shootim at anything/everything that moving. I know SEVERAL who have been shot, a couple killed.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 01-13-19 at 11:57.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Getting into hunting advice

I’d argue that there is a difference between hunting and harvesting deer. Both are absolutely fine.

I’ve HUNTED big game all over the country. But I live in TX and I’ve shot my fair share of game over corn. It’s fine. I don’t consider it hunting, but I’ve also never had this romantic notion of it needing to be “fair.” Brace yourself, I killed a massive buck on a golf course this year. Shot it from the tee box where I’d set up my spotting scope and could see three holes out to about five hundred yards. I could hear wakeboarding boats in the background.

Even my self guided elk or antelope hunts in bonafide wilderness at a minimum involve studying google earth. Arbitrary preferences on when it becomes too much seems like we’re all chucking rocks from glass houses.

I respect the animals I’ve killed, and I’ve felt a twinge if guilt every single time I’ve pulled the trigger. Killing is my least favorite part of the activity. Eating it is my favorite. I hope that the mixed emotions never go away.

I will say that you can’t eat beef, poultry, or fowl without regret and get all upset that someone harvested an animal over bait or whatever else. That animal lived a better life than 100% of store bought meat, and died a better death than it would have.
    Last edited by thopkins22; 01-13-19 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by thopkins22 View Post
    I’d argue that there is a difference between hunting and harvesting deer. Both are absolutely fine.

I’ve HUNTED big game all over the country. But I live in TX and I’ve shot my fair share of game over corn. It’s fine. I don’t consider it hunting, but I’ve also never had this romantic notion of it needing to be “fair.” Brace yourself, I killed a massive buck on a golf course this year. Shot it from the tee box where I’d set up my spotting scope and could see three holes out to about five hundred yards. I could hear wakeboarding boats in the background.

Even my self guided elk or antelope hunts in bonafide wilderness at a minimum involve studying google earth. Arbitrary preferences on when it becomes too much seems like we’re all chucking rocks from glass houses.

I respect the animals I’ve killed, and I’ve felt a twinge if guilt every single time I’ve pulled the trigger. Killing is my least favorite part of the activity. Eating it is my favorite. I hope that the mixed emotions never go away.

I will say that you can’t eat beef, poultry, or fowl without regret and get all upset that someone harvested an animal over bait or whatever else. That animal lived a better life than 100% of store bought meat, and died a better death than it would have.
    I was raised on a farm, and know the diff between farm animals & game animals. I couldnt care less about th golf course buck, or anyone shooting over corn. Its when they act like THEY'VE done something really grand, like THEY'VE outwitted the animal on its turf, when in truth their lazy asses did the LEAST amount of effort required to bag an animal.
    Understand- Im NOT getting into a pissing contest here. Merely answering the OP's question, and pointing out the difference between shooting an animal, and hunting it. This..insane need to NEVER come home empty handed, to ALWAYS kill something no matter how un-ethical it is, drives me apeshit. TRUE hunters will, in fact,get skunked every now & again..and will no more care than the man in the moon, because its another reason to go out hunting again.
    Again..talking SPORT, not survival. And to me..the term "harvesting" is a shyster word like "gaming" is to gambling...ITS GAMBLING.
    If you want to hunt..HUNT, and learn what that entails.
    If you want to shoot an animal, by all means get up in a heated/ac'ed box, put your rifle in a mechanical mount, and fire that 7mm Magnum out at 400-500 yards an shoot it. Just dont come in like your Davy F-in Crockett....cause YOU AINT.
    Im done.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 01-13-19 at 13:40.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wow! Great info on here! I definitely plan on getting out there. There are a few programs the state offers to show you the ropes (mentor-ship type programs). In terms of "hunting" vs "shooting". I would like to learn to track animals and read the land. I do understand the use of the tree stand but I had a former coworker that did the tree stand stuff and he would always text me bored or say he would play angry birds while waiting for a deer to come by. For some reason that always seemed off to me. Not saying I would never do it either, I do have a desire to both learn to track and truly hunt (or as much as you can in todays age) as well as stock up on some good meat.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    LEARN the difference between HUNTING an animal...and SHOOTING one.
    Example: I LOATHE canned hunts, should be outlawed imo. Anyway- a couple a few years before his death, I came upon a "hunting" show whilst flippin channels,
    and there was Dale Earnhardt sittin way up in a fancy assed "tree stand"..RIFLE IN A FIXED MOUNT..overlooking a beanfield inside a hunting ".preserve".
    Had some custom God only knows what it cost Magnum rifle, and when the hand raised bucks walked out into the field about 400 yards away..he popped one.
    He acted like had just stalked a Kodiak bear with a longbow. He NO MORE HUNTED A DEER than the man in the moon...he SHOT one, period. What cowardice.
    PURE bullshit, Id be ashamed to know I was that lazy, and/or piss poor a hunter that I had to reside to that for SPORT.
    Survival- hell yes. But I dont think D.E. was in survival mode. Ive hated that crap ever since, and could NOT give less than a damn who agrees or dis-agrees.
    GET OUT-PUT FEET ON THE GROUND- LEARN SOME BUSHCRAFT-LEARN ANATOMY-LEARN TO HOW/WHEN/WHERE TO SHOOT- LEARN TO TRACK-AND DONT BE AFRAID OR EMBARRASSED OR MAD TO COME HOME EMTPY. LOVE the blessing of the woods..just being out there. Dont desire to kill anything & everything that walks or comes by. DONT use some f-ing Magnum rifle to kill a 150lb +or- deer..my God they aint wearing body armor. Dont ride a F-ING 4 WHEELER ALL OVER THE WOODS..walk & look & listen learn, each time you are out. Learn a fresh track from old, doe from buck..its SPORT..NOT LIFE OR DEATH.
    THATS a different deal altogether.
    And most importantly- be DAMNNED CAREFUL around these utter Fudd BUFOONS runnin around shootim at anything/everything that moving. I know SEVERAL who have been shot, a couple killed.
    Sometimes, it's about the traditional hunting experience.
    Sometimes, it's about getting groceries.
    Sometimes, it's about the trophy.

When you've built your business or bought your tag, it's about capitalism, choice, and none of anyone else's business.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast