G&R Tactical
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: DHS Says be Ready for 6 MONTHS with No Power, Medical, Fuel, Cash, Food, Water ETC...

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    633
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    I opened this thread thinking somehow they were going to blame Trump because there might be a government shutdown. Even though I keep up with this issue and definitely believe our power grid is virtually unprotected, I'm suspicious at the timing of this. It must be a Deep State attempt to frighten people into believing we just have to get rid of Trump.

    Sorry, the cynicism is strong with this one.
    Dude... reading comprehension is tough and all, but the President Trump’s National Security Council specifically requested this. They are deep State because, you know, most of them were personally appointed by President Trump. They work about 60 yards west and ten yards vertical of the Oval Office. Ergo, Trump himself is the deep state plant.

    Clearly you did not read said report, nor watch the webcast of the report presentation nor have any informed basis for your opinion.

    Seriously, read the report. It is good and based on real expertise from people who appear to actually trying to protect the nation.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    East of Atlanta
    Posts
    461
    Feedback Score
    0
    I skimmed through the report. It looks like justification for the federal government to establish regulatory authority over the entire nations power grid in the name of “national security”.

    The only reasons the lights would be out for years would be the fact that substation transformers are extremely expensive, no power company keeps enough on hand to replace everything at once and the involvement of the federal government.

    Trust me, the grid isn’t as delicate as they want you to believe. There is equipment in service that was installed in the 20’s. How many solar storms have there been in the last hundred years? You can splice wire, fuses are replaceable, and transformers are virtual faraday cages. Unless someone figures out how to stop aluminum and copper from conducting electricity, we’ll be fine.
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 12-22-18 at 00:15.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    suburbs of Philly Pa
    Posts
    3,601
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    Winter would certainly be a very bad time to lose electricity for an extended period of time.
    I thought so too until 2014 winter when we lost power for two weeks during a major snow/ice storm. Then a my heater died in two years later the middle of an especially cold winter. Winters in Pa are cold but this one was colder than avg. Couldn't get it fixed for over two weeks. Both times the weather was in the teens during the day but in the house it was 55°. I was walking around in sweat pants and a t-shirt. Not saying it's great but more than doable. Of course if you live further north it may be worse

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    East of Atlanta
    Posts
    461
    Feedback Score
    0
    Just a quick look shows there are enough solar flares that there is a yearly top 50 list.

    Be prepared for anomalies, but a long term outage shouldn’t be something that you lose sleep over.
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 12-22-18 at 00:30. Reason: Grammar
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    suburbs of Philly Pa
    Posts
    3,601
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    People would go NUTS if they were unable to drool on their cell phones for one day... let alone weeks/months.
    Winter of 2014 our area lost power and wasn't completely restored for close to a month. I was without power for two weeks. My work was without power for about 2.5 weeks. This is a big metro area. Close to a million people in a small area. In the month without power nothing happened. No one was killed, no looting, no robing, stores didn't sell out of everything overnight. What you saw was bored people going to malls, stores and generally hanging out in indoor places with power. Bars were packed from morning to night and majority of people were in happy spirits talking about the weather and their unplanned "vacations". Everyone just went about their life as best as they could while a pretty positive outlook

    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    Biggest issue would be that people use their phones as their source of all information. Seriously, they call with it- keep every piece of Contact Information they have in it- passwords for websites, friends/family numbers and Email... they look at the weather, surf internet, listen to radio, some even have police scanner apps etc......without that they would be "blind"...and scared, and pissed off.
    Car charger! That's what I did when we lost power for two weeks. Also malls and stores with generators.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    DFW, TEXAS
    Posts
    3,894
    Feedback Score
    243 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Winter of 2014 our area lost power and wasn't completely restored for close to a month. I was without power for two weeks. My work was without power for about 2.5 weeks. This is a big metro area. Close to a million people in a small area. In the month without power nothing happened. No one was killed, no looting, no robing, stores didn't sell out of everything overnight. What you saw was bored people going to malls, stores and generally hanging out in indoor places with power. Bars were packed from morning to night and majority of people were in happy spirits talking about the weather and their unplanned "vacations". Everyone just went about their life as best as they could while a pretty positive outlook

    Car charger! That's what I did when we lost power for two weeks. Also malls and stores with generators.
    So people just went to where there was power..... right?

    What would they have done if that was not an option?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firarms industry.


    "I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    suburbs of Philly Pa
    Posts
    3,601
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    So people just went to where there was power..... right?

    What would they have done if that was not an option?
    I don't know where everyone went. I'm sure some went to work. The stores near me we're running large tractor trailer size generators.

    A few times I went to the bar. Mostly stayed home and did things I was putting off.
    Last edited by Arik; 12-22-18 at 14:59.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    ROCKET CITY, USA
    Posts
    2,595
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsp10477 View Post
    I skimmed through the report. It looks like justification for the federal government to establish regulatory authority over the entire nations power grid in the name of “national security”.

    The only reasons the lights would be out for years would be the fact that substation transformers are extremely expensive, no power company keeps enough on hand to replace everything at once and the involvement of the federal government.

    Trust me, the grid isn’t as delicate as they want you to believe. There is equipment in service that was installed in the 20’s. How many solar storms have there been in the last hundred years? You can splice wire, fuses are replaceable, and transformers are virtual faraday cages. Unless someone figures out how to stop aluminum and copper from conducting electricity, we’ll be fine.
    According to a leading expert on the subject, who has testified before Congress almost begging them to re-enforce the grid..you are DEAD WRONG.
    Author of the excellent, and imo mandatory read ONE SECOND AFTER and an expert on the subject of EMP William R. Forstchen, has repeatedly said we are in dire straights should an emp of man-made or natural occurrence happen.
    READ THIS BOOK- I did in one setting, could not put it down. He had or has a website at one time, cannot recall it now, where he explains our weaknesses, and provides proof that our enemies are WELL AWARE of them ,too.
    I saw the guy speak on this subject o C-SPAN about 8-10 years ago or so to a room full of the highest ranking military officers in America, some of them said they too had been begging for attention to our grid. Unless something has been done undercover in the past few years to re-enforce it, the grid is very vulnerable still.
    " Be NOT ye afraid of them..
    Remember the Lord, for He is GREAT & TERRIBLE!
    FIGHT for your bretheren..for your sons & for your daughters,
    for your wives & for your households"!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    ROCKET CITY, USA
    Posts
    2,595
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    People would go NUTS if they were unable to drool on their cell phones for one day... let alone weeks/months.
    Brother- Im telling you now..24/48 hours of no cell service, youd see a huge portion of this country..young-uns & millennial's mostly but not exclusively, go apeshit crazy. They are literally, in every sense of the word..addicted. They would be utterly lost.
    Those of us blessed to have lived a vast majority of our lives without the f-in things, KNOW they are only a convenience.. these young-uns have never known a life without them. They'll have a mental breakdown. Ive seen it already with kids who've had phones removed for punishment, or broke a phone, or for some reason was without one just temporarily.
    Gonna be a hard row to hoe should something long term happen, but a huge portion of people just aint gonna make it.
    " Be NOT ye afraid of them..
    Remember the Lord, for He is GREAT & TERRIBLE!
    FIGHT for your bretheren..for your sons & for your daughters,
    for your wives & for your households"!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    8,042
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I've been doing medical missionary work in Haiti for more than two decades. Years ago...kids in the little towns we served would follow us around begging for money for food for their families. Starting about 7-8 years ago, they stopped asking for food money and started asking for money for cell phone minutes. The predominant service provider, DigiCel, very cleverly established a pay-as-you-go process that allowed for simple purchasing of re-loadable minutes, but more cleverly set it up so that anyone with minutes on their phone could transfer to them to anyone else, which made the begging for minutes even more intense. Food is certainly not any less of a problem there, but it's interesting how these impoverished folks in rural Haiti now prioritize communication over eating.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •