Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: DHS Says be Ready for 6 MONTHS with No Power, Medical, Fuel, Cash, Food, Water ETC...

Feedback Score
    I am still struggling with the Y2K disaster.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I’ll be dead.

Feedback Score
    One reason we haven’t seen sustained and impactful cyberattacks against the electric generation and distribution system is because a serious escalation would increasingly result in a response in kind, or even going loud.

Imagine that a fairly robust attack was coupled with a simultaneous attack on comms and banking (credit/ATM). Recoverable but ugly.

Some food for thought, as there have been multiple attacks in Ukraine:

https://ics.sans.org/media/E-ISAC_SA...aine_DUC_5.pdf

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    DHS Says be Ready for 6 MONTHS with No Power, Medical, Fuel, Cash, Food, Water ETC...

I gotta can of white spray paint - I'm good.

- Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    The current situation now is a wake-up call to be ready for the worst. It's a lot less hypothetical to me now, kind of like how I got my first carry license after the Virginia Tech massacre.

Feedback Score
    There is no doubt recent events have given a whole new perspective on being prepared. I presume most of us on here historically were thinking about self and family protection, but access to food moves up the list a bit more. Whether that means growing more vegetables in the backyard or harvesting more meat from nature and stocking up the freezer. The recent closures of the meatpacking plants definitely has me thinking more about it.

Feedback Score
    I am pessimistic I would survive a national or world-wide cataclysmic event. My and wife's age, more elderly MIL, precludes abandoning my urban neighborhood. Would survive for 2-3 months before food would run out. Competition would quickly decimate the available flora and fauna.

I promise to leave my safes unlocked with their significant stash of firearm and ammunition for like-minded patriots.

You'll be able to locate my house by odor and the high body-count of people trying to take what is not theirs.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I am pessimistic I would survive a national or world-wide cataclysmic event. My and wife's age, more elderly MIL, precludes abandoning my urban neighborhood. Would survive for 2-3 months before food would run out. Competition would quickly decimate the available flora and fauna.

I promise to leave my safes unlocked with their significant stash of firearm and ammunition for like-minded patriots.

You'll be able to locate my house by odor and the high body-count of people trying to take what is not theirs.
    Best internet post I have seen in all of 2020!
    Lots of truth, micro and macro levels, as well as a strong dose of moral fiber. It is easy to talk big on the Internet, but a bigger man speaks the unvarnished truth.

“Sometimes you are the windshield, sometimes the bug” applies when we are thinking about these situations. Luck favors the prepared carries you only so far.

Feedback Score
    That is a riot and so true on many levels for most of society. Great Quarantine post!!

Feedback Score
    I've always had items on hand in the event of any untoward event happening, living in FL, it means hurricane season with its attendant inconveniences. Given the recent chicom flu events, I was prepared to self isolate for a reasonable period, 5-6 months if need be, if things got truly sporty. That wasn't the case, I was able to go out and about and shop at local groceries without any encumberence whatsoever. However, given the current times, meat plant closings and 'talk' of a possible global famine being the next 'big thing', I'm at a bit of loss as to how to properly prepare; if I'm even able to. A freezer full of ___, is not a viable option, given the possibility that a long term power outage can occur, even a week or two without power would spoil the freezer contents. So, other than canned meats, tuna, pemican/jerky and other canned /preserved food items, for an extended period (?12 months?) what can one really do?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast