Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: DHS Says be Ready for 6 MONTHS with No Power, Medical, Fuel, Cash, Food, Water ETC...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    More then....

1. Not to assume but as a physician you should have some disposable income. You need to buy some land. Even if it's just 5 acres with a Morgan Building as a cabin on it. Or, alternatively, an older, blue water sailboat? Read Matt Brakken, Locusts on the Horizon- all about "mobile survival"....If that idea suits you better.

2. As a physician, you have an incredibly valuable skill if the lights go out. In order to capitalize on it- you need supplies. YOUR OWN SUPPLIES- not "hospital/work" supplies.... I dunno what kind of doc you are but sutures and instruments, piles and piles of gauze, drugs (Obviously, you understand the law here better than I do but some things aren't a big deal and yet VERY useful but impossible to get "without a scrip").... etc....

Good luck brother!
    I was actually looking at sailboats in November just before the covid situation erupted. Will pick up Matt Brakkens' book today on amazon, and, yes, I do have my 'own' supplies, though it was/is reserved for family and close friends if the need arose.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Almost no one could live under those stipulations (no cash, food, water, power, medical for 6 months). This is game theory: take one of those away, and see what happens with the others. I have six kids, 9-18. We can garden, some. But protein on the regular? Fresh water? It's not like we, or 99.999% of the population, have some mystical off-grid cabin with fish-filled lakes and rivers and deer-filled forests and rich soil for cultivation.

As of today, 5/13/2020, we see a nation on the precipice of a political and societal shitshow because of a virus that seriously affects less than 3% of the people who get it, and we have these things. Take them away by fiat, disaster, disease, whatever, there's your civil war, there's your near Armageddon.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Almost no one could live under those stipulations (no cash, food, water, power, medical for 6 months). This is game theory: take one of those away, and see what happens with the others. I have six kids, 9-18. We can garden, some. But protein on the regular? Fresh water? It's not like we, or 99.999% of the population, have some mystical off-grid cabin with fish-filled lakes and rivers and deer-filled forests and rich soil for cultivation.

As of today, 5/13/2020, we see a nation on the precipice of a political and societal shitshow because of a virus that seriously affects less than 3% of the people who get it, and we have these things. Take them away by fiat, disaster, disease, whatever, there's your civil war, there's your near Armageddon.
    The current political/societal climate isn't due to the virus, it's been around for a few election cycles. As Americans we disagree and are vocal about it and are 100% entitled to make bad decisions that affect others, not so in other countries. Combine that with government entities run by people whose only interest is to stay in power and blame the other party and here we've been for a while. Add a virus that spreads like wildfire and kills without a clear understanding of how and why, again here we are.

Am I going to lose cash, food, water, power, medical for 6 months, not a chance, not for 1 day. Have stayed home except weekly food run for months with a family of 4 following fact based guidance without political BS. We have prepared with savings and live within our means, so can live without income for years.

Interesting how the presidential party with pro-life slant is not pro-life now with COVID-19, as reopening the economy is the only way to get reelected. Same reason why the other party voted to give direct payments to Americans, so they would get re-elected as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller View Post
    The current political/societal climate isn't due to the virus, it's been around for a few election cycles. As Americans we disagree and are vocal about it and are 100% entitled to make bad decisions that affect others, not so in other countries. Combine that with government entities run by people whose only interest is to stay in power and blame the other party and here we've been for a while. Add a virus that spreads like wildfire and kills without a clear understanding of how and why, again here we are.

Am I going to lose cash, food, water, power, medical for 6 months, not a chance, not for 1 day. Have stayed home except weekly food run for months with a family of 4 following fact based guidance without political BS. We have prepared with savings and live within our means, so can live without income for years.

Interesting how the presidential party with pro-life slant is not pro-life now with COVID-19, as reopening the economy is the only way to get reelected. Same reason why the other party voted to give direct payments to Americans, so they would get re-elected as well.
    And then there's people who need to work to live within their means

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

I wasn't trying to imply that the current climate was due to the virus; rather, with such a non-event as this current virus, we can't get TP, and that's pushing people over the edge. Enter something really serious and it's a game-changer.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I wasn't trying to imply that the current climate was due to the virus; rather, with such a non-event as this current virus, we can't get TP, and that's pushing people over the edge. Enter something really serious and it's a game-changer.
    My bad, read it wrong. I don't agree Covid-19 is a non-event with 80K+US and 300K worldwide dead. The whole cavalier % total population calculation only works if one is ok with their kids and family being in the numerator.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    My bad, read it wrong. I don't agree Covid-19 is a non-event with 80K+US and 300K worldwide dead. The whole cavalier % total population calculation only works if one is ok with their kids and family being in the numerator.
    We don't need to hash out COVID here; there are other threads. Statistically it's rated a 'meh.' I say this being in HC, having had to prepare a health system for it, and having access to the data. Could you imagine society's reaction if this virus killed 'just' 10% of everyone across the age spectrum? Mass hysteria. It's minor hysteria now.

Feedback Score
    I hate to be the one to tell you, but EVERYTHING works that way.

How many times have you seen stupid nonsense proposed in Congress based entirely on the argument "but if it saves just one life it would be worth it" -- but you look at the proposed law and you recognize that it is nonsense even if it might save a few lives.

Everything we do in life always involves trade-offs and decisions about relative values.

COVID-19 certainly is not a "non-event" but how we react to it is still a question of choosing the relative value of different possible courses of action. Are you honestly suggesting that it is better to bankrupt the entire country and trigger a complete collapse of society to try to force people to protect themselves and each other from a disease that has a lower fatality rate than some other diseases that we have not reacted nearly as strongly about?

Should we be putting people in jail for not "social distancing" -- while at the same time releasing dangerous criminals from those jails because they might be at risk of becoming infected?

Should we close down the entire economy then just print and pass around fiat money to fool people into thinking things are ok? Is the Democrat plan for continuous stimulus checks really different from what the Weimar Republic did in the 1920's?

Which response is really going to kill more people?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ndmiller
    Quote Originally Posted by n4aof View Post
    I hate to be the one to tell you, but EVERYTHING works that way.

How many times have you seen stupid nonsense proposed in Congress based entirely on the argument "but if it saves just one life it would be worth it" -- but you look at the proposed law and you recognize that it is nonsense even if it might save a few lives.

Everything we do in life always involves trade-offs and decisions about relative values.

COVID-19 certainly is not a "non-event" but how we react to it is still a question of choosing the relative value of different possible courses of action. Are you honestly suggesting that it is better to bankrupt the entire country and trigger a complete collapse of society to try to force people to protect themselves and each other from a disease that has a lower fatality rate than some other diseases that we have not reacted nearly as strongly about?

Should we be putting people in jail for not "social distancing" -- while at the same time releasing dangerous criminals from those jails because they might be at risk of becoming infected?

Should we close down the entire economy then just print and pass around fiat money to fool people into thinking things are ok? Is the Democrat plan for continuous stimulus checks really different from what the Weimar Republic did in the 1920's?

Which response is really going to kill more people?
    These are your questions and words not mine. I neither said or suggested anything of the sort in my post.....Quoted above so you can see it doesn't.

I don't buy the "everything we do in life always involve tradeoffs and decisions about relative values". I'd rephrase to "some things some people do in life sometimes involve tradeoffs and decisions about relative values". Just as meaningless as your absolute version.

If your position is it's ok for people to die anyway because they'll die with either choice, I choose to let the economy tank. I'm prepared for that and my family and friends will be fine. When people finally figure this out, we'll have the treatments and vaccine and life will be just fine.

Most of the economy is not necessity but wants, so all that extra stuff beyond food, water, shelter can go as far as I'm concerned. And since we're mortal we're all going to go sometime, so why not the financially unprepared this time. My only condition is no more pro life BS, execute everyone on death row immediately and you need to show who you voted for in 2016 in order to get food/water/shelter assistance from the Government.

Yes my response if more cavalier with life and nonsensical than yours, but not really by that much.......

Feedback Score

Civil war, highly highly unlikely. If the chicom flu has demonstrated anything, is that the majority of Americans are compliant , obedient, and non confrontational; most, I believe enjoy removing the responsibility to think and act. A few minor demonstrations in Michigan and California beaches, but that is about it as far as I know. Your neighbors/ coworkers will inform on you to the 'authorities' like the germans informed on jews during ww2. The majority of LEOs will do their jobs and go against the constitution, after all, they're just following orders, and value their paycheck over anything else. Yes, there may be exceptions, perhaps less than 1% if that. I'd venture to say 99.9% of the NYPD,LAPD, ChicagoPD, BostonPD, large urban liberal city PD would violate every constitutional right and follow any illegal order by liberal mayor or governor without thinking twice, (i.e. Chicago and NYC mayors, Michigan Virginia, NY Govs) let alone thinking at all. Just putting more popcorn on and waiting to see what unfolds.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast