Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 5.56x45 Winchester 62gr Open Tip made by Lapua or Norma?

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    The Hornady or Winchester?
    It was the Winchester referenced in the above photos. Good stuff, ran like a champ.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Has anybody figured out the ballistic coefficient on these? If it's similar to the boat tail hollow point Hornady bullets that you can get at Mid-South, it would almost be too good to be true.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Has anybody figured out the ballistic coefficient on these? If it's similar to the boat tail hollow point Hornady bullets that you can get at Mid-South, it would almost be too good to be true.
    Having some issue with that as well...

I estimated a 0.155 G7 but that's just a wild guess based on what was in my app's bullet library at the time. Pending weather cooperation, I'm going to go out and try to fine-tune my dope at distance to calibrate the BC.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I pulled one down last night. The bullet is not a boat tail but neither is it a flat bases, exactly. Kinda radius-heeled. Had I not already had good results on target with them I'da said "might not be impressive". Bullet is tar sealed but very slightly and right at the very base and it looked to me as if the tar remaining on the bullet would be simply hanging down into the case below the neck.... I'll look again atht the proportions. Ball powder charge of 26.0, case weight with tri-staked primer, 101.6. Actual bullet weight, sample of one, 61.5 to 61.8.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    A slight boat tail. A compound boat tail. A Swedish boat tail :-)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Chrono yesterday.... Avg of five was 3134 (correction, 3121, range from 3105 to 3137) in a Wilson Combat 20" barrel. I didn't graph it in my old Saber Defence 24" but this barrel too put 5/5 into under 1" at 100Y. I did get one or two groups at about 1.5 but those are the first ones. All groups have been of five shots and nothing kicked out.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I will gel-shoot one of these later this summer when we do testing, but in the meantime, preparatory to a ballistic rodent management research mission, I found some diet root beer in the basement and used it for the only thing it's good for-- shooting. I lined the five plastic bottles up and (ew, wait a minute, did someone drink one of these...?) shot them with some varmint loads with a particle board backer as an indicator of how much the bullets were disrupting. As expected, Hornady V-Max, Barnes Varmint Grenades, and Nosler Varmageddons turned the bottles inside out, spraying the offensive substance everywhere, and little in the way of solid chunks came out the back. These 62's, as expected, poked right through leaving a small inny and a small outy without much further damage to the bottle, passing through the backer and the 4X4 backing the backer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I bought the last 4 full cases Sam had. For me, it has averaged 5 shot groups of 1.25 MOA across 4 SPR type rifles. Good ammo for the money and I'm betting the brass is excellent for reloading....
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I'll bet you're right and even though I reload mostly with pre-prepped brass from Everglades or mountaineerbrass@ymail.com, I'm keeping this brass separate to give it a try.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123