Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SD Ammo

Feedback Score

Question SD Ammo

What name brand and gr. of SD ammo do you EDC? I carry an M&P FS .40 with WINCHESTER RANGER T-SERIES 165 gr. JHP's. My ankle gun is an SP-101 .357 Magnum with 158 gr. HYDRA-SHOK ammo. I also have HST, GD, and PDX1 in my EDC ammo stock.
    Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest.

Feedback Score
    I reload my own. Refuse to buy ammo when I can roll my own. That being said
    230gr gold dot
    7.1gr n350
    +p starline new case
    Cci lp

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Right now I'm primarily carrying some older Federal 9 BPLE. I put it away many years ago and am now cycling through it. Every New Year I swap out my carry ammo for fresh. I have another year or so worth of the BPLE to carry. Then I believe it will be some Corbon.

A few years from now it will be Federal 147 HST. I am very glad I bought a case of it last year, especially since ATK has gone asshole with their LEO box policy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    I reload my own. Refuse to buy ammo when I can roll my own. That being said
    230gr gold dot
    7.1gr n350
    +p starline new case
    Cci lp

With ammo at lowest prices in years..I dont see how reloading pistol ammo is even economical now.
    And using reloads for SD is just plain dumb, in my & others not-so-humble & un-axed opinion.
    Aint but two viable options on the market for me..HST & Gold Dots.
    In 9mm its 124gr +p..in .45ACP its 230gr in either flavor.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 12-23-18 at 07:06.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    With ammo at lowest prices in years..I dont see how reloading pistol ammo is even economical now.
    And using reloads for SD is just plain dumb, in my & others not-so-humble & un-axed opinion.
    Aint but two viable options on the market for me..HST & Gold Dots.
    In 9mm its 124gr +p..in .45ACP its 230gr in either flavor.
    Show me one incident that someone was convicted because they used handloads instead of factory ammo in an otherwise justified shooting. I'll wait.

It's still cheaper, even if it wasn't, I can still make better ammo on my 650 than factories can produce, and it's made for my firearms.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Bro- NEVER said nothing about the legality of it.
    But as one who has been shooting now over 45 + years, I cannot count the times Ive seen reloads fail, during matches, plinking, hunting, and have indeed heard/read about them failing in SD situations. And Im sure all those guys "knew what they were doing" too.
    Ive seen a handful of guns blown too.
    Question: I just bought 250 rounds of Speer 124gr +P last week for $49.99. Can you beat that?
    And 45ACP is at a 15 year or so low. As far as you saying you "can make better ammo than factories can produce"..sure. Loads can be tailored to a specific gun, no doubt. But as far as overall cost, reliability and all other factors added in, neither you nor any other home reloader can make ammo in huge amounts as reliable and accurate as good factory fodder. I know you all say/think you can, believe me Ive heard it for decades, but it aint been the case Ive seen yet.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Bro- NEVER said nothing about the legality of it.
    But as one who has been shooting now over 45 + years, I cannot count the times Ive seen reloads fail, during matches, plinking, hunting, and have indeed heard/read about them failing in SD situations. And Im sure all those guys "knew what they were doing" too.
    Ive seen a handful of guns blown too.
    Question: I just bought 250 rounds of Speer 124gr +P last week for $49.99. Can you beat that?
    And 45ACP is at a 15 year or so low. As far as you saying you "can make better ammo than factories can produce"..sure. Loads can be tailored to a specific gun, no doubt. But as far as overall cost, reliability and all other factors added in, neither you nor any other home reloader can make ammo in huge amounts as reliable and accurate as good factory fodder. I know you all say/think you can, believe me Ive heard it for decades, but it aint been the case Ive seen yet.
    So, I am guessing you don't reload. But have seem to have a lot of opinions on reloading, classic. My reloads don't fail, just as a lot of others have zero issues with ours. I don't shoot 9mm it's 45acp, 556 and 308 strictly. I've seen factory ammo fail as much or more than handloads. You know why? No one at Winchester inspects each round. Every class I have taken has been with *gasp* a 1911 and handloads. I've seen factory ammo jam plastic wonder 9s up in them, 1911s go down in them etc. But my oh so inept handloads and 1911s kept plugging along.

But someone like you doesn't care to see it any other way. I'm not going to argue on it. I know my handloads are more reliable than factory, and more accurate because I have ran them side by side. I and a lot of other people know and feel a lot not

Last edited by ubet; 12-23-18 at 08:17. Reason: Won't let me finish or edit

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    .40 S&W- 180 gr. Federal HST's (issued)
    9mm- 147 gr. Speer Gold Dots
    .38 SPL- 135 gr. Speer Gold Dots (Short Barrel)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Winchester NATO Q4318.

124 grain FMJ.

It's loaded a bit hotter than standard SAAMI stuff, but maybe not quite as hot as +P.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    9mm HST 147 +P, but I like 124 (standard or +P) as well.

Due to Federal making 50 round boxes of HST harder to come by for us lowly civilians I’m switching over to 135 gr Critical Duty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast