Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A look at S&W's M&P 10 16" Optics ready model...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

A look at S&W's M&P 10 16" Optics ready model...

A good friend wanted a budget friendly .308 AR style rifle for hunting Whitetails in Alabama. He ask for my opinion, and after hearing the other rifles in his budget range that he was looking at (Aero, DPMS, PTR-91), I suggested a M&P 10 16" Optics ready model along with a Vortex budget line optic, and PA extended mount. He took the advice, and bought the rifle locally for less than $900. We went together for the rifle's first range trip so that he could shoot it first, and put about a 100rds of surplus on steel at 100yds with a pair of irons. It did that boringly perfect. The ammo for the break in was PPU battle pack 145gr. FMJ BT. The rifle came with just enough lube to not ruin somebodies new rifle should they not know to clean and oil it first. After that he sent me home with the rifle, new optic, mount, and two types of ammo in order to mount the optic, and zero it for a specific hunting ammo he bought when he got the rifle.

I mounted the Vortex Diamondback series 4-12x40 Dead Hold BDC optic in the Primary Arms ext. scope mount. Prior to this however I stripped the rifle for pics, and a cleaning, and figured I'd share a detailed look at a rifle that delivers what I believe to be a great value for the money. I hope to update it with his hunting success, and future more accurate hunting ammo evals that I told him we should do based on the sub par performance of his TSX type ammo I zero'd it for.

This is the actual rifle, and specs from S&W:
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...t-optics-ready

The lower is exceptional for the money, fully ambi. Pmags drop free. Trigger is ok at about 7lbs with some creep, but it's to be expected. Not your standard looking hammer either. With a little grease, and some rounds, the trigger has gotten better. The ambi safety is a bit loud, and needs some use before it becomes a bit less stiff.

No staking on castle nut....if you intend to keep it OEM , one should address this themselves.

Solid BCG with a single ejector design. Has some unique features compared to a LMT MWS

The upper receiver features a railed gas block that allows you to mount a front iron sight to the same height as the rear sight on the receiver. The receiver is T marked, and features feed ramps. Oddly, it has front and rear set of small rubber pads that I assume helps with fitment, I have no idea though really. The A2 F/H was slightly off timed, however it won't effect anything and it's no big deal.

Last edited by ALCOAR; 06-10-19 at 10:52.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Standard .308 CH

As far a accuracy testing, I only sighted it in with surplus, and then shot a cpl 5 groups to zero, and check the rifle for a specific hunting load my friend had bought. I think the rifle is capable of shooting lots of factory ammo under 3MOA easily, but will have to get the rifle back again with different loads in order to confirm.

Again, overall I think for under $900, my friend got a great deal of rifle for the money. More over, I think he was realistic in is his goals, and price budget....and was able to get the absolute most out of his coin with this setup. This rifle seems to fill a sweet spot in between budget rifles like a DPMS, and higher end rifles like DD, LMT, and KAC's offerings. The rifle is certainly over gassed, but this isn't always a bad thing especially for somebody that isn't an AR expert that can tune a rifle, and wants it to be reliable first and foremost. With the standard OEM plastic stock without a pad, this rifle becomes a bit of a pain in the shoulder after several mags through it. I put a SOPMOD on it for zeroing and it made a tremendous difference alone. If the end user adds a nice stock, and FF rail, this rifle becomes exponentially more user friendly. A FF tube and bipod would do wonders for accuracy as well.
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 06-10-19 at 10:51.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    They’re decent for the price but yeah, they may require some tweaks to suit one’s needs.

Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks for posting yours up, my friend will love to see how far he can refine, and improve his with time. Excellent job on yours, and I might have some questions for you down the line.

Yours is exactly how I want him to set his up. Nice upgraded budget friendly trigger, robust long FF rail, a bipod, and lastly a good cheek weld stock with padding.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ALCOAR View Post
    Thanks for posting yours up, my friend will love to see how far he can refine, and improve his with time. Excellent job on yours, and I might have some questions for you down the line.

Yours is exactly how I want him to set his up. Nice upgraded budget friendly trigger, robust long FF rail, a bipod, and lastly a good cheek weld stock with padding.
    Thanks. Everything I’ve added was “budget friendly”. The ACT was an extra I had laying around & suits my needs. I’d like a better rail & glass, but again, they suit me for now.
    The OEM GB and stock were the first that had to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Odd there is no staking on castle nut....M&P 15s have staked castle nut

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Good looking carbine.
    What hard case is that, 'Plano' ?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Mtscout….your correct it was a Plano AW2™ 36" Rifle/Shotgun Case

https://www.planomolding.com/hunting...e-shotgun-case

For some reason I can't see the pics in this thread. I hope they didn't disappear, as I've heard Imgur deletes them after so many months of inactivity.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've been happy with mine so far. In the OEM configuration:

Current form factor:

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    I bought a PSA lower a long ways back. ACS-L lower for $149.99 and the free ship. I don't want a damned stainless upper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast