Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Notes on my Springfield Pro

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Notes on my Springfield Pro

Hey guys,

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Just a few notes on my Springfield Pro. Unfortunately my shooting log for this is incomplete. But I know at this point it has AT LEAST 4799 rounds. This includes everything from 230 grain Blazer Brass, UMC, Winchester White Box, Ranger 230, Golden Saber 230, etc. The only round that I have tried that it doesn't like was Gold Dot and that was when I first got it, since then it has started feeding it as well. This gun had a ROUGH start. When I first got it it was having TONS of FTF. The extractor was insanely over-tensioned. Just in case, I sent it back. Springfield had it back to me very fast. It was better but still iffy, so I sent it back and it was back pretty fast. Anyway, you can see all that drama here...https://www.1911addicts.com/threads/...s.41576/page-4

Anyway, that was Dec-Feb. Since then the gun has run perfectly. I have replaced the recoil spring once but other than that I have not gone overboard with service. I clean the extractor channel out ever 1k or so. It has actually been quite a while.

Things to note...

Stuff I don't like...

1. This gun was TIGHT. I mean insanely tight. I have had a good number of Wilsons and NONE of them were as close to as tight as this Pro. And honestly, I think that is why the Wilsons were mostly problem free. The extractor was just stupid but the bushing is still crazy tight. It will chew up a plastic bushing wrench.

2. The finish was nice, but not perfect. There were high spots in the serrations that built up the finish a bit more and created an effect like the finish wasn't there. It would have irritated me on a TRP but it was annoying as hell on a PRO.

3. The sights are meh. Especially the front sight. It is just a plain tritium vial in a smallish by modern standards front. It's fine, but it is probably the most dated thing about the gun that actually matters. I would love to have something like a pair of HDs. As for the rear, I like the old Novak's style. I don't cycle my gun on shields or my belt.

Things I like....

1. Accurate. The gun is extremely easy to shoot accurately. The trigger is perfect. The sights are small, but are tightly paired with the rear so precision shots are a snap. If you want to shoot someone in the nose at 30 yards, here ya go.

2. The fit of the parts is way nicer than my old Wilson's, bordering on my old Novak's guns. It basically feels like a true custom 1911. Everything from amazing beavertail fit, trigger fit, slide fit, etc. Frankly, the only thing I don't care for is the Black-T and I think that was spec'd by the FBI.

3. After getting the extractor properly tensioned (outrageous considering the cost), it has run perfectly for 4000 rounds. And this includes ammo like Gold Dots which are often problematic in 1911s.

4. Frankly, I dig the look. I always hated the 00's era 1911s with serrations and full length guide rods and ugly rear sights for cocking the gun on your teeth and what not. These look like top-drawer 80s/90s race guns, which makes sense because that was what the FBI really seemed to be looking for. The only thing I would change is I always liked the solid trigger.

I know I passed 5k a while back, but I lost my log book during my move so I lost a month or so. But whatever. I will update this here and there if there is anything else interesting. It is a great 1911. Is it worth the money? No and yes. It is basically a custom 1911 that is available in one flavor. It is way tighter than any Wilson or DW I have ever seen, and makes a Colt or Kimber look like a WW2 bringback. Everything about the gun is basically perfect IF this is what you want. I personally will probably swap out the sights down the road, although I am hesitant because these are perfectly regulated, and I hate screwing with something that works. Given the amount of money these things cost you really need to want something low-profile. It definitely blows my skirt up but I don't think it is for everyone.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Ah man. I've been drooling over a Pro for a very long time. Thank you for sharing your observations.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Good post. I can feel your pain about losing your log book. I lost my reloading log book and have no idea what some of my best pistol loads are...

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I'll give you $1200 For that worn out jammamatic.

Riots are like sports, it's better to watch it on TV at home.

Feedback Score
    Mr. Bell, thank you for the great post...I have a TRP that is a decade old & has been absolutely flawless across 7,000+ rounds..I will turn 45 in two years & a Pro is on my radar as a gift to myself...loving the TRP as I do, would the Pro be worthwhile?? It seems to check all of the boxes for me?? (I'd only change the trigger out for a Harrison short)

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You could have told them you wanted a finger tight bushing when you sent it back. I ordered both my Custom Carries like that. It's just a different philosophy than Wilson's, which I also. prefer.

Springfield doesn't do the finish on the Pro.

7K rounds is just getting that thing warmed up.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Why are y'all battling this out on my Springfield post? It's the holiday season you grinches!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Thanks Greg for taking the time to fill us in on how the pro is doing now that it is sorted out. While a Pro is no longer on my radar in the future, it's good to see some "real world" use and reviews.

Cheers to you for good luck into the new year!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have a Pro that I has never had an issue. I agree with how tight these beast are. Unless you have taken one apart or even racked the slide you cant appreciate the tightness. I had to put a new front sight on mine, just a bolded out front white night sight. I love Springers, but their sights do suck for an old guy with shitty eyes.

I have a TRP with Tijicons HD's with the orange front sight, I like those too, but the tall rear sight looks a little goofy, but great to shoot. When I first bought the TRP, I racked the slide and thought, no way this gun will cycle, I can barely rack it. I bought my first TRP over 10 years ago and lost round count as well, but its over 5K easy. Both guns ate everything I fed it.

I drink SA 1911 koolaid.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks for the update Greg! Been looking forward to this one for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast