Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cons of pinning and welding a suppressor mount

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Cons of pinning and welding a suppressor mount

I have read all the threads on pinning and welding a barrel to on overall length of 16". It has never been something that made sense to me but I'm finally getting a suppressor. Are there any reasons not to cut a 6920 to 14.5" and permanently attach a suppressor mount? From what I can find the Colt Socom 14.5" barrels have a gas port of .062. So the gas port would be fine. Any advice would be welcome.

Feedback Score
    I have two factory Noveskes with pinned AAC to make OAL. I'd rather SBR and keep my options open to other suppressor brands.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Cons are added expense.

Pros are use of a 14.5” barrel, shorter overall length.

An experienced Smith can remove a device later, if needed. Be damn sure to use an experienced smith to pin and weld. I’ve seen many hack jobs, some ruined devices and/or barrels.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Added expense of the pin and weld, plus you are stuck with whatever handguard options will fit the pre-existing barrel nut. Given the amount and cost of ammo needed to actually shoot out a barrel, I don't think the expense of removing the pinned mount should be considered.

I say go for it, and will be myself in the near future.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don’t see the point of pinning & welding anything once you’re in the NFA game. Currently, eForm F1’s are running two weeks. The money to cut, pin, and weld could be put towards a stamp and then your options are endless.

I’ve successfully removed several pin/welded MDs, so I don’t think it’s quite the PITA that everyone makes it out to be, but it is an unnecessary hassle that doesn’t have to exist. There’s nothing to gain from it and plenty of downsides.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Pinning and welding is fine unless you are a flava of the month rail / muzzle device guy.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree with Rhino.

I also think it's a much bigger difference with a silencer hanging out an 1.5" less, rather than an A2 FH.

Feedback Score
    I think it comes down to your personal preference and budget.

A 14.5 with K can is pretty close in OAL to a 11.5-12.5 with full size can.

If you're getting the bbl cut down ask the smith about turning the shoulder back so the supressor mount can be properly torqued/indexed without using shims.

Feedback Score
    If budget is tight and you know youre commited to a silencer and whatever else is going to be stuck there, pin and weld.

If you have the money, sbr and pistol lower(or 16” upper) combo(if you travel out of state) is best.

I’ve had a pin/weld for 8 years or so and have no regrets. I’ll shoot out the barrel before I put a different supressor or handguard on there. But the pin/weld cost is similar to a tax stamp.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ODgreenpizza View Post
    A 14.5 with K can is pretty close in OAL to a 11.5-12.5 with full size can.
    I don't get why any anyone would run a full size suppressor on an 11.5" barrel. It's the worst of both worlds.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast