Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .224 Valkerie conundrum

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

.224 Valkerie conundrum

We had a buddy come out and shoot with us and he brought out his new .224 Valkerie build. Rifle is a 20" Wilson Combat barrel.

Gun is set up with a Diamondback Tactical scope. We got it zeroed with some Fusion loads and some ELD 88s... both factory. And only got some dismal 2-3 MOA groups. So the mount and scope were checked for tightness, etc.

The part we don't get at all is when we tried to reach out to 500 yards. The come up to get it on target was like 6 plus mils, when is should have been 3 or less. We didn't have our truck with the chrono in the back, so we couldn't check velocity.

How could this round possible dump enough velocity to need 6 mils at 500 yards???

Pappabear is having the barrel looked at by the riflesmith.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Perhaps the scope is the issue.

Feedback Score
    Scope is my first thought as well, followed by lousy lot of ammo.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I changed it it out with one of my QD scopes, not the scope. We scratched our heads on this one. Not only did it require 6 mils, bullets were flying everywhere. The only thing we could fathom, was a way over board barrel. So Im getting it pinned checked.

He used several boxes of decent factory ammo. Hornady ELD's was one of them.

But jeez....

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    1:6.5 twist?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Not sure on the twist. But he was shooting an 88 and something lighter in the fusion bullet.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    For the last 7-10 years I've been of the opinion that there were very few "bad" barrels. After a few things I ran across this summer I'm no longer saying that..... I think they still are not common, and that even some pretty pedestrian ones/ inexpensive ones can be pretty darned good. My limited experience with Wilson Combat AR barrels is that they are among the very best.... my long-term impression of the company is they go to lengths to make really, really good stuff and stand behind it.

So, I'd be surprised if it was the barrel and yet until you shoot it you don't know-- and then when you do, you still don't know.... 'cause it could be something else and you guys know that obviously. So my comments would be, 1, does it have a threaded muzzle and has something been way over-torqued onto it, and 2, we should all have the new Lyman Bore Cam. I'm not shilling for them, it's just a great tool for every enthusiast to have at under (sometimes well under) $300. How else to really know what's going on in there? 3, something in the hookup between the barrel and the upper receiver, like loose or so tight the upper cracked.

The ideal barrel length for .224 Valk is 24" (for factory ammo anyway) but I can't see 20" being the problem unless somehow it's not twisted right.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Well the kid said he torque'd the barrel nut to 50. And he'd spun on some obnoxious break which was loose enough that I just spun it off by hand so we could shoot without all the bark. (we shot to 500 with nothing on the muzzle.) There was a crush washer that hadn't been mashed down. So I'm doubtful the guy overdid anything at this point.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I heard that DCB, here, had read of some accounts of this round's velocity spinning these bullets too fast and causing all kinds of issues. This would perfectly explain everything we experienced last weekend.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I heard that DCB, here, had read of some accounts of this round's velocity spinning these bullets too fast and causing all kinds of issues. This would perfectly explain everything we experienced last weekend.
    Commonplace or just certain combos?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast