Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Strobe' function.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The 'Strobe' function.

Please, light manufacturers, just...stop.

I can't imagine I'm alone in this, but does anyone using lights in a duty/real world capacity really need a strobe function? Has it made a difference with it that you couldn't achieve by other means?

I'm a fan of tailoring the light to the task, or expected threat. What I mount on the end of an AR-15 is not what I'd select as a hand-held in my foothills/alpine AO for SAR missions. So why the hell do manufacturers STILL feel a need to include a strobe function on WMLs and 'tactical' lights? Is it supposed to come with a 'Frankie Goes To Hollywood' cover song? The first WML I was ever issued was an old Streamlight hand guard-integrated beast that was heavy, but worked. It was a single output light, ate CR123s voraciously, and did one thing decently well. I never encountered and never heard of anyone in my line of work deriving ANY value from a strobe function, which more often than not was just an inconvenient and annoying stop on the way to the next desired function of a given light. So,...has anyone ever achieved something with a strobe that couldn't be achieved by other means, with a light or not?
    Last edited by PatEgan; 12-25-18 at 23:46.
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I will not use a light that has a strobe function. They serve no useful purpose. They seem to always get activated when I don't want them to be activated. I use an old Surefire 6P with a single high output Malkoff drop in, lanyard and Raven pocket clip as my light.

Feedback Score
    Agreed, in my experience, strobes, especially weapon mounted, seem to disorient my vision. Last thing I want is to be in a high stress situation IE shoot/no shoot and try to figure out what may be in someone's hand. Or more likely send some a holes 8th cousin into a epileptic seizure and have them win the ghetto lottery.

If you really need to distract or disorient, forget the strobe and throw a flash.

For EDC I can't imagine a bad guy standing across a park lot announcing he's going to carjack you only to be like "oh lawd! is that thing 1000 lumen with strobe!?!? This guy really disoriented my vision, I better get out of here!"

Fortunately there's options for everyone. I like simple stuff, I push the button and the bright happens. Perfect.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Two things I can do without:
    1. Strobe function, or at least make it easy to disable the strobe. Especially on a WML. For all the reasons above.
    2. High/low function tail caps. If I need a retina-searing death ray that emits a low hum when I turn it on, I'm pretty sure I won't need to read a map or look under my car seat a half second later. I'll carry a smaller light for admin, use my iPhone, or make do. Or, at least make the low function operate from a different input than the main tailcap switch.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have no use for strobe but can appreciate its utility.

As a signaling device.

Suspended from the ceiling as a quasi-disco ball when you happen upon a thrown-together dance party.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Accidental strobe activation? That is the fault of the user or a bad UI. A good UI wouldn't allow this to happen. Also, a light with a good led driver allows the user to select the type of UI mode that fits their need. If you don't like or need strobe mode, then pick the UI mode that doesn't have one. It's that simple. I don't need it either, but getting rid of it because "you" don't need it or want it is totally unnecessary and selfish. We have the options.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I completely agree that its a worthless feature.

I'd MUCH rather have a well implemented high/low.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    Accidental strobe activation? That is the fault of the user or a bad UI.
    Bad UI.

On some you only have a linear switch, and to get to a useful mode you have to pass through strobe.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Budget View Post
    I like simple stuff, I push the button and the bright happens. Perfect.
    This.
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Don't need strobe function. On. Off. That's all I need these days.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast