Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Talk me out of a Ruger American Ranch...

Feedback Score
    Have you looked at any of the CZ 527 rifles?

The negatives... 1/9 twist. But I think that’s over blown out of a bolt gun. Are you really going to be shooting a lot of 77 gr ammo? And suppressed? And I’d guess that gun will shoot 77 gr just fine anyway. Also, proprietary mags... again. How many will you need? It’s a bolt gun for your daughter? It’s also a little more coin. But not much.

What you will get is a beautifully made gun. With a smooth action. And sweet trigger... that will more than likely be more accurate, and hold up long enough for her grandkids to shoot it.

Feedback Score
    Last week I picked up a CZ527 carbine with the distressed beechwood stock in 7.62x39. I mounted a Vortex Viper 2x7 scope and it is a REAL sweet shooter. I can shoot all day for 20 bucks and not worry about picking up my empties.
    Flintlocks Rock

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Interested in this, I want a bolt gun just to play with it and am trying to maintain mag and ammo compatibility as much as possible.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wolffie View Post
    Have you looked at any of the CZ 527 rifles?
    I'm looking at them right now... I really do like the idea of a "micro" action. (I looked at Howa's "micro" and Sauer's "mini," too.)

Cons:

1:9" twist, like you said... I'd like to be able to play with heavier bullets, maybe even 80-90gr (single loading). The Ruger's 1:8" isn't ideal, either, but it's closer.

No threads... If the nat'l hearing protection act passes (not holding breath), then I'm definitely buying a bunch of suppressors. Meanwhile, I really like the idea of a linear comp. (Why doesn't CZ make the "suppressor-ready" in .223?!)

Mags... It's nice to have 4-5 to play with. CZ lists them for $40 each, so that's another $100+, and then I need to keep track of them...

It's $200 more. I hate to sound cheap, but going from $425ish to $625ish is a big jump.

Basically, if I'm going to pay $600+ and need to use proprietary mags and settle for less than a 1:8" twist, then there's a whole world of rifles out there, including CZ (Savage, Remington, etc.)

I'll keep mulling this over...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacific5th View Post
    I have the 762x39 version. Pretty happy with it. My action was decent out of the box. I put a 2-7 Leupold on it and it’s a great little combo.
    I have to agree with this. I have one in the same caliber, picked it up after I sold my last AK. I had all this ammo left, so I needed something, so I went with the Ruger. I put a Weaver K4 scope on it, and up to about 150 yards, it makes a perfect deer gun here in Indiana.

I was very surprised to see the accuracy I was getting out of the old Soviet M43 round. I was able to get, off the bench, 1.75 MOA with steel cased Wolf ammo! The best 4 shot group I had was with the Federal soft point ammo, and that group measured a solid 1.55 MOA. For the 7.62x39mm, that is way better than I ever got with any of the AK's I had owned.
    Good night Chesty...wherever you are.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by artoter View Post
    I was very surprised to see the accuracy I was getting out of the old Soviet M43 round. I was able to get, off the bench, 1.75 MOA with steel cased Wolf ammo! The best 4 shot group I had was with the Federal soft point ammo, and that group measured a solid 1.55 MOA. For the 7.62x39mm, that is way better than I ever got with any of the AK's I had owned.
    Hijacking my own thread...

Idle curiosity: Is the Ruger barrel .308 or .311? It sounds like you're shooting both...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12