Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First Glock, a G19. What do I need to know?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

First Glock, a G19. What do I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    You can start by selling all your other handguns. Consolidate magazines, ammunition. Live simply. Spend more time doing other hobbies or with loved ones.
    Gonna second this. Guns are actually kinda lame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    After a dozen years of gun ownership, I have finally joined the ranks of Glock owners. I'm a blank slate. Which sources should I study to learn about my new weapon?
    Watch a few detail strip vids on youtube to learn how everything fits together/works.
    Buy snap caps and use them daily.

Shoot it stock and learn what/if any mods you need.
    Glock has huge aftermarket, which is good if you need to change something. But dont buy mods unless you can quantify a reason(ei. Cant reach stock mag release, reloads take 2x longer).

If you have to mod something, stick with Glock factory whenever possible.

People make a big deal about sights, I havent noticed a performance issue outside not being able to see them, so I go for anything with a hi-vis front and tritium front and rear.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Select aftermarket sights that fit your purpose, purchase a pallet of ammunition and seek instruction from a qualified individual.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Oh, all of my Glocks shoot S&B 124 gr really well.
    Pretty much my go-to at this point for training/matches.
    HST 147gr for carry purposes.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    There’s no need to go wild with mods. Find the sights that work best for you and train, train, train.

Feedback Score
    I just put Ameriglo Hackathorn sites on mine. Really like those. The only other thing I have done is a Magpul magwell, and only cause I needed another $20 on a order to get free shipping and a discount or something. Other then that just shoot and clean.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Get a bunch of mags, pick your sights, get a holster, then change things as you see fit. One of the best upgrades out there right now I'll put on every future Glock is the Kagwerks slide stop, although everything is pretty much subjective when it comes to Glocks.

I'm to the point I've owned enough Glocks over the years I have them dialed in to get it exactly where I want. Picking up a 45 next week, and I have everything already waiting, I'll strip it down, polish everything with a felt wheel, swap trigger shoes(SSVI Tyr), put in a reduced power striker safety spring, swap connector for a rolling break(Ghost Pro), Gadget, extended magazine catch(OEM) and in this case a barrel/comp(Mayhem MK2), it'll get a Kagwerks slide stop when their Gen 5 model comes out. Each Glock I pick up gets some variation of this, they'll all get red dots and someday go to Boresight, but as far as parts and feel, this is what I like.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rico View Post
    After a dozen years of gun ownership, I have finally joined the ranks of Glock owners. I'm a blank slate. Which sources should I study to learn about my new weapon?
    Which generation are you getting? Gen3, Gen4, Gen5? They're all G2G but advice may vary slightly depending upon which Gen you have.

I agree that a good set of sights are a must. My favorites are Trijicon HDs and Ameriglo CAP or Agent sights. I personally prefer big dot front sights because I can pick them up much faster.

If it's a serrated trigger model, I'd upgrade to a smooth trigger.

If you have a Gen4 or 5 I'd also install an extended mag catch. I don't like the Gen 3 version and would pass on it.

I personally like the Glock extended slide stop levers.

Keep in mind that there are variations on certain parts between the generations. Feel free to ask before you buy.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    Which generation are you getting? Gen3, Gen4, Gen5? They're all G2G but advice may vary slightly depending upon which Gen you have.

I agree that a good set of sights are a must. My favorites are Trijicon HDs and Ameriglo CAP or Agent sights. I personally prefer big dot front sights because I can pick them up much faster.

If it's a serrated trigger model, I'd upgrade to a smooth trigger.

If you have a Gen4 or 5 I'd also install an extended mag catch. I don't like the Gen 3 version and would pass on it.

I personally like the Glock extended slide stop levers.

Keep in mind that there are variations on certain parts between the generations. Feel free to ask before you buy.

Ordered and on the way. Mine is a Gen 3, the only one we can readily get here in California. I'm not swapping anything else out for a good long while.
    "One can lead a child to knowledge, but one cannot make him think."
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RHINOWSO View Post
    While Magpul Glock mags have been fine with brass, they eventually starting causing failures with steel cased ammo - it would take seconds (yes, seconds) for follow on rounds to feed into position.
    The Winchester Forged allegedly causes this in most every polymer 9mm magazine. You can hear them start rattling when it loads to the choke point....usually 1/3 to 1/2 full. Haven't tried them on Glock factory mags though.

Several of my ETS magazines will feed them fine, but one won't. Once I found out what was up I could watch the Forged stick. Sometimes they pop loose while feeding, sometimes not. Never can tell if they are binding sides or front to rear.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast