Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experiences with 18650's and Charger Recommendation?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Experiences with 18650's and Charger Recommendation?

I'm wanting to get some 18650 batteries and a charger for them. What is the "go to" for these?

I'm looking at the Streamlight kit on Amazon, seems very reasonably priced at $35 including two batteries. The batteries are only 2600 MAH.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-2...26017845&psc=1

Do I want/need something more? I understand there are some batteries that are 3000 MAH.

Also, different types of cells apparently? Some with "buttons" on the end and some that are flat/ Use will be in tactical lights primarily, so is one style better?

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I use the 3600mah 18650 from Orbtronic in my flashlights. I use an Xtar(?) charger. Works for me. Although I don't trust the mah ratings.

Eta: I prefer button top in flashlights.
    Last edited by dmd08; 12-27-18 at 11:06.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The mAh rating is related to how long it will last. A lower rating will just mean you will have to charge a little sooner in relation to one that has a higher capacity. What might make a difference, depending on the light you have is discharge rating. Some lights have drivers that run them hard and need a battery that can handle the discharge rate that the led and its driver is demanding from it.

Some lights don't work without button tops, some do. Some batteries are protected, some aren't. Most like the safety of protected batteries.

Here is a selection you can pick from with reasonable pricing:

https://skylumen.com/collections/oth...ted-descending
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 12-27-18 at 11:27.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    I'm wanting to get some 18650 batteries and a charger for them. What is the "go to" for these?

I'm looking at the Streamlight kit on Amazon, seems very reasonably priced at $35 including two batteries. The batteries are only 2600 MAH.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-2...26017845&psc=1

Do I want/need something more? I understand there are some batteries that are 3000 MAH.

Also, different types of cells apparently? Some with "buttons" on the end and some that are flat/ Use will be in tactical lights primarily, so is one style better?

Thanks!
    I'm about 8-10 years in on a Lumaforce 18650 being run in my bored out Surefire C2 Centrurion running an old 800 lumen Cree XM-L lamp. I don't see any appreciable drop in performance yet.

You might want to check out the Mountain Electronics Emisar D4 Quad XP page for in depth battery recommendations. I recently picked up a D4 with the upgrade Cree XP-L HI 3A -5000K - Neutral White emitters. I also purchased the recommended Efest 18650 3000mAh Hi Discharge battery for the max output of 4322 lumens, and the Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA 3500mAh for the longest runtime.

I can't yet comment on the power consumption or length of service on these batteries as they're just too new, but this tiny little light is the Saturn V rocket of handheld lights and the batteries seem to be holding up fine so far. The Efest is only $7.95 and the Sanyo/Panasonic is $8.45. A single slow charger is $4.40 and the USB wall plug is only $1.85 ($6.00 if you bundle them together). So I have $22.45 in a pair of top rated 18650's and a single slot charger. I went with the flat tops as I've had issues with button tops collapsing in the past if the light is dropped, causing connectivity issues.

WARNING: Don't go to that website if you don't want to buy another flashlight. I made that happy mistake and now I have another (now favorite) light.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index....product_id=855 (links to the batteries are at the bottom of the page and the charger is on the right side)

Here's a review of the D4 where they talk about it and the batteries:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/55306
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I use a Nitecore Digicharger D4 for all of my rechargeables. For 18650s specifically, I use Panasonic NCR18650B batteries with what I'd call a flattened button on the positive end. These were/are on eBay from a private seller, and if I could remember who, I'd let you know. The Panasonics are highly regarded and these last a long time.

I use the Panasonics for modded Sure Fire Fury lights used in dedicated WML or hand-held roles. I've had zero issues with these and would buy both those types of 18650s and the charger again without hesitation. FWIW, I also use some 18490s I received with a used light I bought on another forum. These are 3.7V, 1100mAh (4.1WH) and I've been using these (x2) on a more or less experimental basis in another Fury mounted as a WML. These are the same diameter as the 18650s, just shorter, so no spacer is required.

Hope this helps-
    Pat
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Guys I really appreciate the information. Complete newb in this area.

Lights change constantly of course and about every 4-5 years I cycle out some of my older lights, the changes are crazy in terms of Lumens etc...Ten years ago a Surefire G series with 90 lumens was a beast of a light lol...In my last cycle-4-5 years ago the big thing was all the new companies like 4 7's, Fenix and Multi Mode lights....... As I begin my cycle this time I decided to take a look at the 18650 as that aspect seems to have matured quite a bit since the last time I looked at lights....

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    18650...that aspect seems to have matured quite a bit
    Agreed, but I kind of wonder if was really just end users that finally woke up to how useful they are, rather than the 18650s suddenly coming onto the market. It's definitely nice to see more light makers producing products that are designed around them, though.
    Where violence is the local language, be fluent.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatEgan View Post
    Agreed, but I kind of wonder if was really just end users that finally woke up to how useful they are, rather than the 18650s suddenly coming onto the market. It's definitely nice to see more light makers producing products that are designed around them, though.
    I think due to their wide use, it just made sense to design around them. Laptop batteries, cordless tool batteries..all just 18650's put together. When they go bad, take them apart and meter them, you will find that only a few went bad and now you have spare 18650's.
    Last edited by Adrenaline_6; 12-27-18 at 13:38.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I ordered 4 Panasonic 18650 B's and two 18650GA's off Ebay from a U.S. based seller.......

After looking at the various chargers available it struck me that I MAY already have a charger at the house that will charge these cells. I bought a MAHA, top of the line, about 4-5 years ago and it has the sliding bars so different cells can be charged- AA, C's D etc...Before I spend the money I decided to take a look at it. All I've ever used it for was some Eneloop AA's but I have a feeling it may work with the 18650's too. No need to spend the money if I have one that will work already.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I ordered 4 Panasonic 18650 B's and two 18650GA's off Ebay from a U.S. based seller.......

After looking at the various chargers available it struck me that I MAY already have a charger at the house that will charge these cells. I bought a MAHA, top of the line, about 4-5 years ago and it has the sliding bars so different cells can be charged- AA, C's D etc...Before I spend the money I decided to take a look at it. All I've ever used it for was some Eneloop AA's but I have a feeling it may work with the 18650's too. No need to spend the money if I have one that will work already.
    If it isn't made for Lithium batteries, I don't advise using it. Different charging algorithm. You need a charger that is made for lithium batteries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast