Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best, Cheap, Home Defense Option

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The Best, Cheap, Home Defense Option

Recently I have bought two Remington 870 Police Magnum, police trade in shotguns. These guns were made in the late 80s. Both showed a great deal of finish wear and the stocks were pretty beat up...no broken parts, no corrosion- just honest finish wear. I paid $170 and $155 for the guns, total, shipped to my FFL which does not charge me transfer fees.

Shot the guns, both shot, fed and ejected- functioned fine. Both would cut clover leafs, point of aim, at 25 yards with Remington Reduced Recoil slugs. Would probably really shoot well with the newer Truball offerings......

Felt badly about how they looked. Stripped them down and started stripping stocks and foreends of finish and grime, steaming dents, Linseed oil. Both stocks really turned out nicely. FFL happened to mention that he recently added a new bead blast cabinet and a parkerizing tank. I asked if he cared if I used them after hours one night if I bought the beer....No problem. I dropped the parts in the solvent tank for about 15 minutes, blew them off with the air gun, bead blasted the metal (less trigger guards of course) and then tossed the parts in the park tank. Took longer to bring the tank up to temp than it did to actually get the parts parked! If I was smarter I would have lit the tank when I first got there before the parts soak etc....Live and learn....

Whole process took about 2 hours of steady work. Came home with two darn near new looking Police Magnum 870's. Is there a cheaper home defense option that is 100% reliable etc.....? I darn sure don't think so. You can barely buy a used Hi Point for $150!!!! Each of my sons will get one of these for their college apartments. Hate to think about it but if they get stolen etc....I don't care, not sentimental, no great monetary loss--- but they will absolutely put men in the ground if need be.
    Last edited by Esq.; 12-27-18 at 14:59.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sounds like you got a heck of a deal. Most PD shotguns are carried a lot (read: banged around in the cruiser) and shot very little. Which is why they may have been ugly but functioned flawlessly.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    You should post pictures. I won't buy any new Remington stuff after my 870 Express not working out of the box,but I'd definitely buy a used Police Magnum.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    You should post pictures. I won't buy any new Remington stuff after my 870 Express not working out of the box,but I'd definitely buy a used Police Magnum.
    Alas, my technical skills are lame...
    The truth can only offend those who live a lie.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post

This. I had two Express 870s that failed out of the box. These things are junk. I then got a slightly used Wingmaster--whole different quality orbit! Got a 18" barrel for it and I trust it with my life.

If I were buying new today I'd settle for nothing but the Police 870.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    870 Wingmaster used with rifle sights, buy every one I see at a store or gunshow. Clean them up, new springs, follower, and they will last forever.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've got two. A Wingmaster and a police magnum. Together they were under $400. Both police trades. Been debating on getting rid of the Wingmaster simply because I never shoot shotguns...ever! Otherwise they're nice, not really beat up or anything

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would not worry about the finish or appearance of a defensive shotgun. IMHO if it functions correctly, the money would be better spent on ammunition and training.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I've got two. A Wingmaster and a police magnum. Together they were under $400. Both police trades. Been debating on getting rid of the Wingmaster simply because I never shoot shotguns...ever! Otherwise they're nice, not really beat up or anything
    I have more than I need myself honestly but yesterday I was talking about it with some buddies at lunch and as a result may end up buying even more. Why? Several reasons.

First, there is no cheaper good option for a reliable self defense weapon. More people all the time are deciding that they need something to protect themselves with and this is a great option. Second, there is a parallel here between old police trade in wheel guns which several years were dirt cheap but have now literally quadrupled in price. Third, I enjoy the tinkering. Lastly, they dont make them like they used to as several people have commented, the "good stuff" is more scarce all the time.

They dont eat or take up much space so no harm, no foul.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I would not worry about the finish or appearance of a defensive shotgun. IMHO if it functions correctly, the money would be better spent on ammunition and training.
    I might agree if I had spent any money, but beer consumed with a friend doesn't really count!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast