Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Best, Cheap, Home Defense Option

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Eventually I'll get around to sending them to a smith, nobody local I would trust and I don't know what to look for.

If it makes you feel better the wingmaster has only done it a couple of time while the express is pretty regular.
    If you get on https://www.rem870.com/ you should be able to find enough articles and videos to help you trouble shoot them.

They aren't that hard to keep running.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    Yeah, there are many out there for cheap.

While they aren't "unfun" to shoot I enjoy a simple, short SXS or fast, lower-recoiling semi more.

A coach gun (double trigger) shoots/feeds anything (aguila mini-shells on up), has two choke choices, is shorter, (no receiver) and is more reliable than a pump.

If a non- gun enthusiast wanted a shotgun it's what I'd push them to get. Shorten stock (for most), add a light, consider a sling, mount shell holder of some kind securely on stock.

It can solve a huge number of rural/city problems.

But, they normally cost more than pump.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I bought one used for $150, kept it about a year, sold it for $150. Kicking myself now, but I still have scatterguns that sit in the back.

Don't need one, don't use them, but a good tool just in case.

Still wish I had that Wingmaster, though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The trouble with a double-barrel is this: suppose you run out of ammo before they run out of Thugz?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    The trouble with a double-barrel is this: suppose you run out of ammo before they run out of Thugz?
    Another problem with all but the most expensive ones is the ejecters. All they do is raise the expended shell requiring the shooter to extract the expended shell before inserting a fresh one. I'll take a self ejecting pump every time!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Uni-Vibe View Post
    The best thing to do is draw your pistol. But how likely is it the 1st BG isn't down, or the 2nd or other BG's are going to stick around? Not likely.

But if you don't have a pistol on you, reload. It can be done pretty quickly.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7&&FORM=VRDGAR

Yea, I know, this guy is a serious competitor. But even being 1/4 of his speed isn't slow should one need to shoot again. (Of course you would reload just in case)

The best place to keep extra shells is on the butt-stock and a bandoleer that can quickly be thrown over your head. (the guy in the video can't because rules)

Look at something like the NRA Rifleman shooting stories every month (the ones that occur at someones home) and imagine the person had just a double-barrel shotgun. The vast majority of threats can be ended with one. So can threats from animals and smaller nuisance creatures.

All the while being handier and more reliable than a pump-action for the person who only has one or a couple guns.

My point is for the non-gun enthusiast who wants a shotgun I'd recommend a double barrel.

For the enthusiast who wants a shotgun for home defense I'd recommend a semi-auto.
    Last edited by Ron3; 02-03-19 at 17:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    The best thing to do is draw your pistol. But how likely is it the 1st BG isn't down, or the 2nd or other BG's are going to stick around? Not likely.

So your plan hinges on the actions of unknown assailants? Seems kind of nebulus at the best, patently fatal at the worst

But if you don't have a pistol on you, reload. It can be done pretty quickly.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7&&FORM=VRDGAR

Yea, I know, this guy is a serious competitor. But even being 1/4 of his speed isn't slow should one need to shoot again. (Of course you would reload just in case)

Throwing a lot of ass-u-mptions into the gun fight? Do you also advocate single action sixes and cast bullets?

Look at something like the NRA Rifleman shooting stories every month (the ones that occur at someones home) and imagine the person had just a double-barrel shotgun. The vast majority of threats can be ended with one. So can threats from animals and smaller nuisance creatures.

All the while being handier and more reliable than a pump-action for the person who only has one or a couple guns.

I kind of disagree on this - the pump or semi-auto, either one, can be stored with ammunition in the weapon - in the magazine tube, with an empty chamber. The double barrel in the same condition - empty chambers - takes longer to get into action. Plus they have four or five shots available.

If someone is interested in learning to use a shotgun, the learning curve to operate a pump or semi-auto is not the steep. The how and when of tactics is going to take longer than basic operation with any shotgun, regardless of action type.

If you get down to a 4 minute emergency briefing for your wife - 'pull the trigger, cycle the action back and forth firmly, pull, cycle, pull, cycle pull' dry drills for a minute, and then 'I'm leaving this loaded with the chamber empty, safety off, all you need to do is pull the trigger, it won't go bang the first time, cycle the action like we practiced and then pull the trigger, cycle, pull the trigger.' Them demo how it looks with action proving dummies and then two minutes of dry drills with dummies and you are GTG with the person who would be willing to use the shotgun and also willing not to fool around with it until they needed to use it.

The is the minimum compare to you telling them how to load, close, and shoot a side by side - not much difference, but the pump is way more lethal because of 4 or 5 shots.

Regardless, with either one you would have to teach mounting the shotgun and some basic elements of stance.

My point is for the non-gun enthusiast who wants a shotgun I'd recommend a double barrel.

By your metrics, an over- under such as the 12 gauge Stoeger Condor Outback with 20 inch barrels: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...R+OUTBACK+12GA

or the 12 or 20 gauge Stoeger Condor Double Defense: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ver%2FUnder+20

Fits the bill, short barrels, single trigger, auto eject.

For the enthusiast who wants a shotgun for home defense I'd recommend a semi-auto.
    Either pump or semi will do you well. Personally, I prefer a pump, for the simple reason I can cycle through most malfunctions.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Either pump or semi will do you well. Personally, I prefer a pump, for the simple reason I can cycle through most malfunctions.
    Yup, all of that.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Also of note, for those in non-free states, a pump shotgun is easily at the top of the list as a viable, legal means of home defense. As more and more states pass anti gun legislation this point cannot be stressed enough.

Feedback Score
    A double barrel can be kept ready by storing it loaded but partially cracked open.

A 3x5 index card can also be folded and inserted into the action as its gently closed. The action wont then close by accident yet the card can be simply pulled out, the action closed, and the gun is ready for use. (And safety pushed off)

The manual of arms is much simpler than a pump or semi for the non-enthusiest.

Double triggers preffered for reliability. Single triggers usually re-cock by recoil and low-recoil ammo sometimes doesn't do it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast