Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first AR build questions. 7.5"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My first AR build questions. 7.5"

I have an Aero upper and lower that I bought stripped. I've assembled the lower minus tube and the upper I've installed the forward assist and dust cover. I've ordered a KAK shockwave with their dimpled tube. I'm considering the Balistic Advantage Hanson barrel with gas block installed, thoughts on this barrel.

https://ballisticadvantage.com/7-5-i...ce-barrel.html

I still have a lot of decisions as far as had guard, thinking DD Omega 7, BCG, and muzzle device. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    You may want to rethink the 7in barrel. If this gun is going to just be a meme go for it, if this is going to be used in any defensive capacity the shortest you will want to go is 10.5. The 7.5 doesn’t give you the velocity to make 5.56 effective. 300 black out on the other hand you will be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    You may want to rethink the 7in barrel. If this gun is going to just be a meme go for it, if this is going to be used in any defensive capacity the shortest you will want to go is 10.5. The 7.5 doesn’t give you the velocity to make 5.56 effective. 300 black out on the other hand you will be okay.

I have a Colt M4 carbine (formarly 6920). Just wanted to do a "fun" build. I have considered 300 blk but ammo prices kind of push me towards 5.56. I will be using a blast forwarding device to help with all the negatives that come out of the front of the barrel.

Feedback Score
    I agree with nowski87. Even if it is a fun build, why not buld something that will be reliable and not terrible to shoot. If you are considering going shorter than 10.5 (11.5 is as low as i would personally go)

If you do go short do yourself a favor and look into Black River Tactical's options. Clint knows gas systems and what is optimal for barrel lengths and they just started offering a 9 inch and 6.75 barrels with optimal gas length and gas port size. The muzzle threads are 5/8 -24 and they do offer a linear compensator in that size

Ballastic Advantage makes decent barrels, but what is listed above would make for a better build IMO

Comp- http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...tegory=1799361

6.75- http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...tegory=1852006 $179

9.0- http://www.blackrivertactical.com/co...tegory=1852006

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Blast isn’t what I was talking about, more reliability and effective ballistics. The 5.56 doesn’t do great with a pistol gas system and doesn’t get enough velocity out of a barrel that short the be effective.

If you want to keep using 5.56 because of cost that make senses and I get you I just made the same decision for my pistol build I’m working on. But a 10.5 or 11.5 which is even better, will get you a fun little blaster to punch paper with and will be less of a headache (if a good barrel is used) and can be used in a defensive role if needed.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW, as others have said, 7.5 is way too short for 5.56, for reliability and efficacy reasons. Minimum is 10.5, and 11.5 or 12.5 is probably the shortest I would go.

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Just FYI, this part of the forum is dedicated to showing off completed builds only. Don't be surprised if the moderators shut this down quickly.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer_Man View Post
    Just FYI, this part of the forum is dedicated to showing off completed builds only. Don't be surprised if the moderators shut this down quickly.
    Sorry wasn't aware, new here.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Mods can we have this moved to the right area for our new friend?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowski87 View Post
    Mods can we have this moved to the right area for our new friend?

Thanks! I know the 7.5 is not the optimal barrel length but if set up properly they will run, that's what I'm trying to gain info on yet again I may go 10.5.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast