Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
Ironically I had this same discussion with a friend that repairs and sells used appliances.
His take was a thirty year old clothes washer that still works is essentially the best thing you can buy. Simple switches, simple electronics and no real way to go wrong. All of this is easily replaceable with a bit of knowldge and perhaps a soldering iron.
Buy the newest and the bestest, you'll be seeing him in six moths to a year.
Agree, I see this over and over and over again. My buddys uber washer craps out and his uber hot yet uber dim wife DEMANDS a new uber washer, or else! Then pays top dollar at the fancy local family run appliance store, with a service plan, thinking hes doing it right just by not buying the same brand of uber washer at the big box stores for several hundred less.

Usually within a year there has been an issue and while the technician is a swell guy you see around town, the service plan usually turns out not to cover whatever the issue is, or only labor and not parts... but what the hell, at least you dont have to call a warrantee center in India.
By year 3 its time for a new one and the next one need to been even uberer and costlier than the last... or else.

I rock the decades old appliances, mostly because there isnt a female about to make me miserable about such trivial nonsense but I often wonder on the seldom occasions I buy a new belt, switch, relay, etc all still pretty much all from overseas ultimately.... how much longer will I still be able to get these dinosaur parts for?

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk