Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Trump Threatens to Close the Border with Mexico

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Drive BMWs (made in the US), Sharp TVs are made in the US and things like that. We can create a lot of jobs just by cleaning up Detroit so that we can start making anything there again. Or maybe just move production to Texas.
    Is Texas a right to work state? SC, where BMWs are assembled is. Did you know that BMW makes engines in China? My brother used to haul shipping containers to a KIA plant in (I think) Alabama. For those who don't know shipping containers come off of ships. Ships come from overseas. He said many of the workers in the plant were asian and assumed they were South Korean. So much for made in America!

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Is Texas a right to work state?
    Yes: https://www2.texasattorneygeneral.go...-laws-in-texas

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mine the border and start turning Latin chicks into heavily armed Right Wing Death Squads with OG-107.

Then we invade Cuba.

Then we institute Shakira Law.

Dead Serious. Now is the time. With all the latin countries destabilized...we declare an American Anschluss. We breed the Latinas in the Wheatfields and we kick out every last Red Chinese, Russian, French, and British from South America.

And then we have 50 years of undisturbed isolation.

ETA Don't forget about the crucifixions and legal polygamy.
    Last edited by Firefly; 02-20-19 at 09:04.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Mine the border and start turning Latin chicks into heavily armed Right Wing Death Squads with OG-107.

Then we invade Cuba.

Then we institute Shakira Law.

Dead Serious. Now is the time. With all the latin countries destabilized...we declare an American Anschluss. We breed the Latinas in the Wheatfields and we kick out every last Red Chinese, Russian, French, and British from South America.

And then we have 50 years of undisturbed isolation.

ETA Don't forget about the crucifixions and legal polygamy.
    There is always throwing people from helicopters........ that worked in the past.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    So who remembers NAFTA? Remember that great Bill Clinton idea where nearly all of American "production" actually happens in Mexico?

Can anyone figure out the "check mate" ultimatum should anyone dream about enforcing, let alone closing the border?

Of course we could just abandon 2018 production and start making cars, tvs and everything else back in the US. That would be fine with me.
    I remember NAFTA quite well..After it passed, the big 3 auto makers, and their parts suppliers, could'nt move plants down there fast enough..If I recall correctly, NAFTA cost the U.S. something like 700,000 -750,000 jobs that as far as I know, never came back..So, somebody tell me, exactly how did we (the U.S.) make out on this deal? And while Clinton signed it, and again I'm going from memory here, but, if I remember correctly, the bill itself went through congress with little in the way of "no"" votes..
    Last edited by ralph; 02-20-19 at 12:41.
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    I remember NAFTA quite well..After it passed, the big 3 auto makers, and their parts suppliers, could'nt move plants down there fast enough..If I recall correctly, NAFTA cost the U.S. something like 700,000 -750,000 jobs that as far as I know, never came back..So, somebody tell me, exactly how did we (the U.S.) make out on this deal? And while Clinton signed it, and again I'm going from memory here, but, if I remember correctly, the bill itself went through congress with little in the way of "no"" votes..
    We got more cheaply made products and that's it.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    While I would love to walk into WalMart and not see the words "Made in China" on literally everything, it's not all going to come back to the US overnight. That would cause huge price increases and all kinds of other problems. But I do think there's a way to encourage manufacturers to see having plants in China as not in their best interest. I just don't know what they are.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    While I would love to walk into WalMart and not see the words "Made in China" on literally everything, it's not all going to come back to the US overnight. That would cause huge price increases and all kinds of other problems. But I do think there's a way to encourage manufacturers to see having plants in China as not in their best interest. I just don't know what they are.
    POTUS already has that answer: Tariffs

They do it to us, we're just returning the favor, and winning.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Doc, are you old enough to remember department stores like Woolworths (I am 65)? That's the way modern departments stores would look if it happened overnight. You could fill my childhood Woolworths store with what's on 2 isles at todays Walmart. I don't see American manufacturers coming back in great numbers. We are too used to having a good selection at a reasonable price point. Robotics might change the manufacturing landscape in America but will create an even larger dependent class than we have now. Where and how will it end? It probably won't be pretty.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    Doc, are you old enough to remember department stores like Woolworths (I am 65)? That's the way modern departments stores would look if it happened overnight. You could fill my childhood Woolworths store with what's on 2 isles at todays Walmart. I don't see American manufacturers coming back in great numbers. We are too used to having a good selection at a reasonable price point. Robotics might change the manufacturing landscape in America but will create an even larger dependent class than we have now. Where and how will it end? It probably won't be pretty.
    Woolworths is a little before my time. But I remember a time when a pair of SWAT boots weren't worn out in six months. I remember when you didn't have to wade through a minefield of Chinese knockoffs of quality products. I understand even a lot of AR parts and accessories are made in China. Sheesh.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast