Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Trump Threatens to Close the Border with Mexico

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It is an issue that needs careful balancing. As noted already, it is stupid to require US manufacturers to abide by huge stacks of regulations, then allow space labor items to be imported cheaply. On the other hand it can’t be too protective. I recall in the 70s and 80s Americans were clamoring for quality family cars with decent gas mileage but Detroit was putting out crap while Japan responded.

So US manufacturers should not have so much protection that they feel they can produce crap and we have no choice. But it should be a level playing field regarding regulation burden.

The China crap needs to stop. Just shut down Harbor Freight and Walmart!!
    It is in vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! ... Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry in an address at St. John’s Church, Richmond, Virginia, on March 23, 1775.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    Honestly I find myself buying antique household items, not because I collect antiques, but because they will last longer than anything bought from Wal Mart, Amazon or whatever. When my wife wanted a sewing machine I found a complete (and that is the hard part) Singer that was made in the 1980s. Weighed almost 30 lbs and wasn't $29.99 but it was worth it.

Where technology has just advanced too much, I'll gladly pay the price of a SureFire flashlight versus some plastomatic 5 million lumons for $9.99 crap. Walmart prices aren't really a savings when everything you buy is disposable and craps out after a couple months.

Been trying to find a decent Westminster mantle clock. Back in the 80s this would have been a sorta high end item you might pay as much as $75 for. figure triple that for inflation, I'd cheerfully pay $300 for a decent one. But all you can find are z grade stuff that doesn't actually have real bells or chimes and they sound like shit, run like shit because they are shit.

Maybe if I get lucky I'll find a 1950s vintage example with no issues for $400 to $500, problem is nobody throws things like that away or sells them cheap to an antique store because they want to get rid of them.
    Ironically I had this same discussion with a friend that repairs and sells used appliances.
    His take was a thirty year old clothes washer that still works is essentially the best thing you can buy. Simple switches, simple electronics and no real way to go wrong. All of this is easily replaceable with a bit of knowldge and perhaps a soldering iron.
    Buy the newest and the bestest, you'll be seeing him in six moths to a year.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Do you remember when WalMart first started business? It was 'Made In the USA' all the way.
    Yep. When I was in college. People wanted to go to work for them as manager-trainees just on that alone.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteyrAUG View Post
    It was gonna fix the problem of illegal immigration by sending jobs down there remember? That worked out didn't it?
    Ahh yes, you're right..I'd forgotten about that part.. Yeah, it worked out great....I do remember Ross Perot at the time, telling anybody who'd listen what would happen if NAFTA passed..And, he was right..That giant sucking sound of jobs leaving. I don't think he would've made a good president, though..He was too much of a control freak, Genreally speaking, sucessfull business men who go into politics don't do well, because unlike the private sector, where if sombody tries to stab you in the back, you fire them, you can't fire elected officals, and that for example, is a lesson that Trump's still learning..
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Do you remember when WalMart first started business? It was 'Made In the USA' all the way.
    I remember that as well, they used to advertise on TV that they had more "made in the USA" goods than anyone else, it was great.. I guess the siren song of cheap chinese goods was too much..
    There's a race of men who don't fit in, A race that can't stay still, So, they break the hearts of kith and kin, and roam the world at will..

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    Ironically I had this same discussion with a friend that repairs and sells used appliances.
    His take was a thirty year old clothes washer that still works is essentially the best thing you can buy. Simple switches, simple electronics and no real way to go wrong. All of this is easily replaceable with a bit of knowldge and perhaps a soldering iron.
    Buy the newest and the bestest, you'll be seeing him in six moths to a year.
    Another plus for the 30yr old washer is, they're not "water savers" and will actually wash clothes with about 5gal of water, unlike new washers today which all try to wash 20-30lbs of clothes, sheets, etc, with 2gal of water, or less. IMO, the older machine will give you cleaner clothes..

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Another plus for the 30yr old washer is, they're not "water savers" and will actually wash clothes with about 5gal of water, unlike new washers today which all try to wash 20-30lbs of clothes, sheets, etc, with 2gal of water, or less. IMO, the older machine will give you cleaner clothes..
    I agree! Our new LG, save the word washer won't get the skid marks out of white underwear. When we first got it I accused my wife of folding my dirty UW and putting them back in the drawer!!

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I agree! Our new LG, save the word washer won't get the skid marks out of white underwear. When we first got it I accused my wife of folding my dirty UW and putting them back in the drawer!!
    That was the most terrifying post I have ever read.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    That's really TMI.

I mean really, really, TMI.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Ahh yes, you're right..I'd forgotten about that part.. Yeah, it worked out great....I do remember Ross Perot at the time, telling anybody who'd listen what would happen if NAFTA passed..And, he was right..That giant sucking sound of jobs leaving. I don't think he would've made a good president, though..He was too much of a control freak, Genreally speaking, sucessfull business men who go into politics don't do well, because unlike the private sector, where if sombody tries to stab you in the back, you fire them, you can't fire elected officals, and that for example, is a lesson that Trump's still learning..
    He didn't want to be POTUS. He just wanted to screw GHWB over because of the airport kerfuffle in Texas. Mission accomplished.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast