Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: King Cobra coming 2019

Feedback Score
    Sorry to necro this thread but I have to eat a little bit of crow, and also point out that I was right about a few things.

Long story short I just got back from my home state where my dad died of a heart attack right in front of my mom, funeral is done, mom is OK. She pointed out that the will left all of the guns to my brother and I to split how we saw fit, and that she didn't want them in the house except for something to defend herself with. Before we all left town to go to our respective homes we had her shoot every handgun my dad owned for score, she did the best with a CZ75b. So she kept that one, and a Ruger 10/22 for pest control.

My brother has no interest in revolvers, so I have those now. The last gun my late father ever bought was a 3" Colt King Cobra in .357 Magnum, he even called me a week before he passed and we talked about it, he didn't usually buy anything that cost more than $500 without me cajoling him into it. He bought a S&W 986 Pro at my suggestion and it took months to talk him into buying a "nice" DA revolver that wasn't a Taurus, I now have that 986 as well he shot the hell out of it... totally covered in carbon. Good, he enjoyed it. He mentioned how much he really liked this new Colt and wanted to try one since he had never owned a Colt before.

So about that 3" Colt King Cobra: it is in fact a nice little revolver. I have not had a chance to shoot it much and only with .38 Special so far, I put 6 rounds through it all DA to see where the sights were looking before I had my mom shoot it to see if that would be the one she did best with. At least at 10 yards or so it shot right to the sights, and was easy to shoot at a quick cadence and get hits. The DA trigger is phenomenal for an out of the box revolver that has had no work done to it at all. I haven't bothered to shoot it single action but if a person wanted to the hammer is just large enough to easily manipulate but not so big it will catch on clothing. My dad had a tritium front sight installed and the original brass bead is still in the box.

I am still not a fan of the sights, the rear sight notch is not deep enough to level the top of the front sight blade with the top of the rear notch and still get a full view of the tritium dot or the brass bead (depending on what front sight is installed). Oddly enough with .38 Special ammo driving the dot and just centering it in the rear notch actually had the gun on for windage and elevation at 10 yards, but I suspect it will not be the same story at 25 yards or 50 yards. I like to stretch my handguns legs, and this one is probably not going to perform as well as it could.

The frame on this gun is a beefy little chunk of steel, the top strap is thick, noticeably thicker than the L Frame S&W. Almost reminds me of an MR73. I also noticed that the window in the frame for the cylinder has no 90 degree corners, they are all rounded, no stress risers here! If the internal components are up to the task the frame appears to be made with lots and lots of full power .357 Magnum shooting in mind. Same thing for the barrel forcing cone, it's not a thin little thing and is left full diameter with no undercut to clear the cylinder yolk. If I have any complaint I wish the ejector rod was a bit more substantial, and I wish the tip was larger than the OD of the rod. At certain degrees of rotation relative to the crane the rod will bind if you press it in too far. Not a big dead since it immediately springs free with even the slightest turn of the cylinder, but still a minor annoyance.

I plan to shoot this one more once I get set up to reload .38/.357 on my Dillon XL650, if it proves to be a good performer it might end up being a travel/carry gun if I have to go someplace where higher capacity stuff is frowned upon. Regardless it will stay in the family. I just need to find some stocks for it that are cosmetically more appealing.

Not that it matters but the barrel cylinder gap gauged out to .004" so it should be pretty gas efficient. The only revolver I have that is tighter is my Freedom Arms which grudgingly lets a .0015" feeler gauge pass!
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 11-09-20 at 17:48.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Coal Dragger-I'm very happy to hear you like the pistol. I hope it gives you some great memories. Please keep us informed if you shoot it more.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Sorry to necro this thread but I have to eat a little bit of crow, and also point out that I was right about a few things.

Long story short I just got back from my home state where my dad died of a heart attack right in front of my mom, funeral is done, mom is OK. She pointed out that the will left all of the guns to my brother and I to split how we saw fit, and that she didn't want them in the house except for something to defend herself with. Before we all left town to go to our respective homes we had her shoot every handgun my dad owned for score, she did the best with a CZ75b. So she kept that one, and a Ruger 10/22 for pest control.

My brother has no interest in revolvers, so I have those now. The last gun my late father ever bought was a 3" Colt King Cobra in .357 Magnum, he even called me a week before he passed and we talked about it, he didn't usually buy anything that cost more than $500 without me cajoling him into it. He bought a S&W 986 Pro at my suggestion and it took months to talk him into buying a "nice" DA revolver that wasn't a Taurus, I now have that 986 as well he shot the hell out of it... totally covered in carbon. Good, he enjoyed it. He mentioned how much he really liked this new Colt and wanted to try one since he had never owned a Colt before.

So about that 3" Colt King Cobra: it is in fact a nice little revolver. I have not had a chance to shoot it much and only with .38 Special so far, I put 6 rounds through it all DA to see where the sights were looking before I had my mom shoot it to see if that would be the one she did best with. At least at 10 yards or so it shot right to the sights, and was easy to shoot at a quick cadence and get hits. The DA trigger is phenomenal for an out of the box revolver that has had no work done to it at all. I haven't bothered to shoot it single action but if a person wanted to the hammer is just large enough to easily manipulate but not so big it will catch on clothing. My dad had a tritium front sight installed and the original brass bead is still in the box.

I am still not a fan of the sights, the rear sight notch is not deep enough to level the top of the front sight blade with the top of the rear notch and still get a full view of the tritium dot or the brass bead (depending on what front sight is installed). Oddly enough with .38 Special ammo driving the dot and just centering it in the rear notch actually had the gun on for windage and elevation at 10 yards, but I suspect it will not be the same story at 25 yards or 50 yards. I like to stretch my handguns legs, and this one is probably not going to perform as well as it could.

The frame on this gun is a beefy little chunk of steel, the top strap is thick, noticeably thicker than the L Frame S&W. Almost reminds me of an MR73. I also noticed that the window in the frame for the cylinder has no 90 degree corners, they are all rounded, no stress risers here! If the internal components are up to the task the frame appears to be made with lots and lots of full power .357 Magnum shooting in mind. Same thing for the barrel forcing cone, it's not a thin little thing and is left full diameter with no undercut to clear the cylinder yolk. If I have any complaint I wish the ejector rod was a bit more substantial, and I wish the tip was larger than the OD of the rod. At certain degrees of rotation relative to the crane the rod will bind if you press it in too far. Not a big dead since it immediately springs free with even the slightest turn of the cylinder, but still a minor annoyance.

I plan to shoot this one more once I get set up to reload .38/.357 on my Dillon XL650, if it proves to be a good performer it might end up being a travel/carry gun if I have to go someplace where higher capacity stuff is frowned upon. Regardless it will stay in the family. I just need to find some stocks for it that are cosmetically more appealing.

Not that it matters but the barrel cylinder gap gauged out to .004" so it should be pretty gas efficient. The only revolver I have that is tighter is my Freedom Arms which grudgingly lets a .0015" feeler gauge pass!
    If I am not mistaken VZ has grips for it. Worth a look anyway.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post

If I am not mistaken VZ has grips for it. Worth a look anyway.

Feedback Score
    Fired my new King Cobra 3 inch recently.

It's the finest revolver I've ever had!

- Best revolver trigger ive ever felt
    - No malfunctions in first @100 shots
    - Casings drop easily, including .357's
    - Shoots to point of aim. Light bullets slightly lower than 158's as expected
    - Recoil much less than I expected
    - Notable lack of sharp edges on trigger, guard, or anywhere else that I can tell so far.

I'm used to shooting lightweight snubs. I have been shooting a borrowed Gp100 4 inch recently.

What surprised me about the 28 oz gun was there was less recoil than expected. .38 +p's could be fired all day. Golden Saber .357 125 gr jhp's felt the same and Hornady Critical Duty 135's had only slightly more kick.

Remington 158 gr .357 sjhp's had heavier recoil and were a little harder to shoot accurately, but they didnt hurt like a lightweight snub. Not that I want to shoot a box of 50, I wouldn't.

But medium-load .357's like the Critical Duty could very realistically be practiced with and carried. I wasnt using a timer but I dont think the recoil of these would make much difference regarding rapid-fire.

Back to 25 yds when I did my part plates fell and holes went in paper where I thought they would. (Whether i threw the shot I could call it)

Yea, these are expensive but they really are fine revolvers. Holster on the way.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-26-21 at 16:53.

Feedback Score
    I've read some early reports of Cobras and King Cobras with issues.

But none recently.

I wonder if these were issues with the first run or two of new models or what?

How many rounds should I run through my new King Cobra before carrying it?

500 sounds good to me.

Feedback Score
    I bought one when they first came out.
    I bought it because the trigger was so easy to pull, so light.
    When I got home I started to notice the trigger return was extremely weak. So much so, I would short stroke the trigger during rapid fire. I figured I bought it for carry, but because of the weak trigger return, it was not useful to me.
    I sold it not long ago.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 4thHorseman View Post
    I bought one when they first came out.
    I bought it because the trigger was so easy to pull, so light.
    When I got home I started to notice the trigger return was extremely weak. So much so, I would short stroke the trigger during rapid fire. I figured I bought it for carry, but because of the weak trigger return, it was not useful to me.
    I sold it not long ago.
    Doesn't seem to be a problem for me because most of my handguns have weak returns so I guess I'm used to it.

Ruger LCR's, Beretta DA/ SA's, CZ DA/SA and this Colt all have weak-ish trigger return springs.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345