Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: First Bolt Gun recommendation.308

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
    Why? The model 7 is shorter and 1.5 lbs lighter. And come factory threaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just my opinion, but I think you would enjoy the quality of the Tikka over the rem.

Feedback Score
    I had a Model 7 in 30-06. It was great but kicked too much for me. I currently have a SS Tikka T3 lite in 7-08. It shoots under 3/4" at 100 yards with factory ammo and a clean barrel. It opens to 1 1/2 when dirty. Mine was threaded and has a brake on it. I highly recommend it. It is my favorite deer rifle and have made great shots with it. But I have heard good things about the TC. All the rifles on this list will do the job in my opinion.
    I like rifles to carry, especially if I have lots of walking to do. I also had a really accurate Remington 700 SS in 7MM that I loved until a shoulder injury made me not love it anymore. In my opinion 7 lbs. is good for a general purpose rifle. Not too heavy and not too much recoil and more steady offhand. But that depends on the individual and if you are climbing mountains or not.
    Last edited by d2wing; 01-20-19 at 17:36.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Excellent. I’m leaning toward the rem model 7. Threaded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score

Recommend a .308 Rifle

I would definitely look at the Howa's barreled actions on Brownells site.

You can order a #1 or #2 contour barrel, then add your stock and be under $1,000.

Otherwise, out of the box I would consider Tikka, Browning, for the higher end. At the lower end of the spectrum, Savage Axis, TC Compass, and the Ruger American.

The TC Compass is a great little rifle for the price. Though, I still prefer Howa.

Brownells: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...8%2bWinchester

Feedback Score
    I really like the first gen Remington 700 5r and am really intrigued by the Bergara HMR as well. Would probably look to switch out the factory stocks with a Grayboe Renegade or maybe a Ridgeback. Probably not the best for long hikes but will shoot the lights out if you don't mind packing it. The military twisted my perception of what heavy is. Ha Ha
    Last edited by ShooterOpinions; 03-06-19 at 14:48.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Here's a listing of the rifles mentioned so far that offer a factory threaded barrel.

Tikka T3X CTR - 20" & 7.5 pounds
    Savage 110 Hog Hunter - 20" & 7.3 pounds
    Bergara B14 Ridge - 22" & 7.9 pounds
    Thompson Center Compass - 22" & 7.25 pounds
    Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed - 22" & 6.3 pounds
    Ruger American Predator - 18" & 6.2 pounds
    Remington Model 7 - 16.5" & 6 pounds
    Remington 700 SPS Threaded - 20" & 7 pounds
    Remington 700 Tactical AAC-SD - 20" & 7.5 pounds
    Barrett Fieldcraft - 18" & 5.1 pounds (over $$ budget)

Barrett is new to the hunting rifle game, but they've been making other rifle types for a long time and are well regarded.

If weight matters as much as it seems, then any rifle that's much over 7 pounds before an optic, sling, and ammo may not satisfy you.
    Lightweight isn't all it's cracked up to be. I had a Kimber 7mm08 that weighed in at 6lbs before a scope and it wasn't much fun to shoot. However, when looking at this list of rifles the Browning Hell's Canyon would be my choice. Yes the Rem Model 7 is a small very light rifle and it's going to be a breeze to carry but the Browning is a better rifle overall. When considering price, quality and overall accuracy the Tikka T3X would be at the top of my list. At this point I'm hunting with a Rem 700 5R 20" .308 and love it. I also have a Nightforce NXS on it. It's not a lightweight rifle by any means but it shoots like a dream.

Feedback Score
    All in all I would go with a Tikka. That should get you in a good to go condition by just the additions of a good scope. I would look at a Burris BallisticPlex scope.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345