G&R Tactical
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 46

Thread: First Bolt Gun recommendation.308

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,446
    Feedback Score
    0
    The Barrett Fieldcraft is light and threaded but outside your budget. You could get a Tikka T3x lite and thread the barrel. Iíve seen it done with 1/2 thread and an adapter to 5/8.

    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod54364.aspx

    Probably what Iím going to end up doing myself

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    442
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    ...You could get a Tikka T3x lite and thread the barrel. I’ve seen it done with 1/2 thread and an adapter to 5/8.

    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod54364.aspx

    Probably what I’m going to end up doing myself
    I haven't seen anyone thread a T3X Lite, but that is pretty much the only thing about that I wish for. I was thinking of chopping my barrel down from 24.3 inches to 22, maybe down to 20 (I'll have to see what that costs me with 6.5 CM) and getting it threaded...

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    123
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    The Barrett Fieldcraft is light and threaded but outside your budget. You could get a Tikka T3x lite and thread the barrel. Iíve seen it done with 1/2 thread and an adapter to 5/8.

    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod54364.aspx

    Probably what Iím going to end up doing myself
    Please explain why the adapter is necessary? Why not just thread the barrel for the specific device planned for it instead of how you described?

    I have followed this thread with great interest. I have a need for a work horse light bolt gun and already have a SiCo Harvester. I have the Harvester adapters for both thread types in hand, is one better than the other for a bolt rifle when given the choice?

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    "Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    142
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noonesshowmonkey View Post
    There's guys on here with a ton more experience than I have. I did an absolute shit load of research before I bought my rifle, and specced out a set of goals for it. The result was that I got an extremely accurate rifle that can easily shoot out to 1000 and beyond that is relatively light weight and has amazing glass. The lightweight barrel profile won't let me prone or bench shoot it all afternoon and will get finicky after a string of 3-5 shots, but I didn't buy the rifle to do 10 shot groups all day long. But, I can backpack the rifle in a way that someone's bench gun would break their balls.

    The best advice that I can give was the advice I got: figure out a list of wants and needs for what you're trying to accomplish.

    Your main goals from the OP are:

    .308 / 7.62x51mm
    factory threaded / easily threaded to accept a suppressor
    Light weight
    300 yard capable for four legged game

    Note: you didn't include bench shooting or ranges beyond 300 yards.

    If you're genuinely looking for a good brush gun, something light weight that you can hump through the hills and take game with, that is not the same as a bench gun. With just the list of characteristics that you laid out, you can go to just about any .308 bolt gun from a major manufacturer and accomplish this, with the only search argument that will cause you any ass ache being the threaded barrel, as this will narrow the field a bit and add weight due to the profile required.

    Tikka is a sub-brand of Sako, and Sako is a legendary rifle maker from Finnland. Tikka means 'woodpecker' in Finnish, because the rifle will hit the same spot over and over and over and over. They are a 'budget' brand of the luxury Sako mainline. This means that they have polymer stocks, simpler furniture, standardized trigger assemblies and bolts, and generally lack the overall finish (puns!) of the Sako guns. My Tikka is a T3X Lite in stainless steel, so it has a polymer stock (totally serviceable), a fantastic trigger, and a completely stainless construction otherwise. I could dump the thing into a salt marsh, pull it out, shake it off, check the bore and muzzle for obstruction, and drive on. It'll survive a fall off a truck or ATV, and so long as the crown doesn't get damaged, I can literally just rub out any nicks. It was gotten as a work horse rifle. It's a little long with a 62cm barrel (24.3 inches), and the stock isn't exactly gucci, but it is easily half MOA with good ammo and a talented shooter.

    There's a reason that Tikka and Sako come up over and over in long range shooting threads / forums. They are the shit. They actually deliver on it, too.

    An advantage to any of the other guns that have been recommended, to include the Thompson Center, is that they will accomplish what you are asking of them without having to spend a lot of money. 300 yards isn't a goal you have to blow through wads of cash on to get to, and nearly any production rifle that is worth a shit can accomplish it. I'd be looking for something that hit my goals of suppressor ready, had a good polymer stock, and was around or under 7 lb before glass, with the lighter rifles getting the nod.

    That Savage that I linked to wearing a light optic like a Leupold Firedot 2-7 will give you everything you want in a relatively compact and lightweight package, and without having to dump loads of money onto the problem. You could probably figure it out for $1000 all-in if you watched for sales.

    You could spend a shitload more money to get a 'nicer' rifle and 'better' glass, each of which would really only show themselves to you over a long life of the rifle, and especially if you use it well outside of your proscribed set of goals. I'd be looking for a rifle that I could grab out of the truck bed without having to worry about the glass or the gun and take a quick shot on a buck standing in the tree line across the field.
    . Thank you. This is very helpful. And it sounds like Tikka is the rifle Iím looking for. Does tikka make a 16Ē suppressor ready rifle in 308? At or under 7Lbs?

    The savage rifle is a close second. If I canít find my unicorn.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    142
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    The Barrett Fieldcraft is light and threaded but outside your budget. You could get a Tikka T3x lite and thread the barrel. Iíve seen it done with 1/2 thread and an adapter to 5/8.

    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod54364.aspx

    Probably what Iím going to end up doing myself
    Wow. Wow. Wow. Thatís 5.1lbs for the Barrett FC. is this rugged enough? Howís the barrel?

    I need to see retail prices here.

    Thank you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    1,446
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by 68W View Post
    Please explain why the adapter is necessary? Why not just thread the barrel for the specific device planned for it instead of how you described?

    I have followed this thread with great interest. I have a need for a work horse light bolt gun and already have a SiCo Harvester. I have the Harvester adapters for both thread types in hand, is one better than the other for a bolt rifle when given the choice?

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    I have not done this myself but from what Iíve read the lite barrel doesnít leave enough shoulder for a typical 5/8" thread

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
    Wow. Wow. Wow. Thatís 5.1lbs for the Barrett FC. is this rugged enough? Howís the barrel?

    I need to see retail prices here.

    Thank you.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Iíve only heard good things about them, no personal experience though. Iím going back and forth between one of those and threading a T3x.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    590
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's a listing of the rifles mentioned so far that offer a factory threaded barrel.

    Tikka T3X CTR - 20" & 7.5 pounds
    Savage 110 Hog Hunter - 20" & 7.3 pounds
    Bergara B14 Ridge - 22" & 7.9 pounds
    Thompson Center Compass - 22" & 7.25 pounds
    Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed - 22" & 6.3 pounds
    Ruger American Predator - 18" & 6.2 pounds
    Remington Model 7 - 16.5" & 6 pounds
    Remington 700 SPS Threaded - 20" & 7 pounds
    Remington 700 Tactical AAC-SD - 20" & 7.5 pounds
    Barrett Fieldcraft - 18" & 5.1 pounds (over $$ budget)


    Barrett is new to the hunting rifle game, but they've been making other rifle types for a long time and are well regarded.

    If weight matters as much as it seems, then any rifle that's much over 7 pounds before an optic, sling, and ammo may not satisfy you.
    Last edited by grizzman; 01-01-19 at 16:12.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    142
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzman View Post
    Here's a listing of the rifles mentioned so far that offer a factory threaded barrel.

    Tikka T3X CTR - 20" & 7.5 pounds
    Savage 110 Hog Hunter - 20" & 7.3 pounds
    Bergara B14 Ridge - 22" & 7.9 pounds
    Thompson Center Compass - 22" & 7.25 pounds
    Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed - 22" & 6.3 pounds
    Ruger American Predator - 18" & 6.2 pounds
    Remington Model 7 - 16.5" & 6 pounds
    Remington 700 SPS Threaded - 20" & 7 pounds
    Remington 700 Tactical AAC-SD - 20" & 7.5 pounds
    Barrett Fieldcraft - 18" & 5.1 pounds (over $$ budget)


    Barrett is new to the hunting rifle game, but they've been making other rifle types for a long time and are well regarded.

    If weight matters as much as it seems, then any rifle that's much over 7 pounds before an optic, sling, and ammo may not satisfy you.
    Excellent resource. Thank you.

    That Barrett is excellent weight but that price tho...

    Going to look more into the Remington model 7.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    293
    Feedback Score
    0
    With your parameters, Tikka T3x would be my choice.
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe." Luke 11:21

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    142
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Esq. View Post
    With your parameters, Tikka T3x would be my choice.
    Why? The model 7 is shorter and 1.5 lbs lighter. And come factory threaded.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •