Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressor for an 11.5

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Suppressor for an 11.5

I'm looking at getting mt first suppressor this coming year and I need some suggestions and guidance. I'm currently in the process of putting together an 11.5 AR pistol, I may SBR it later I haven't decided yet, but what I do want to do is suppress it. This gun will be for HD and for range use the can is more for the HD side of things to take the edge off the gun if needed to be used inside. I'm not looking for a Hollywood quiet can, but what I want is for it to be short and light and not have my ears bleed. The in of the home is quite small so I'm trying to avoid putting on a can and then being back at the 16+ inch spectrum.

So far I have looked at the AAC Mini 4 and the Saker 556k and the Griffin M4SDK, are there others to look at in that size or others that will fit what I'm looking for?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Common advice is to not get a short suppressor for your first, you are likely to be disappointed. I don't think that you would notice the extra 3/4" to 1" with a normal sized can as much as you would notice the sound difference indoors with a smaller can.
    Last edited by Mike Miller; 12-29-18 at 14:38.

Feedback Score
    I run a Saker 556k on a 11.5" BCM w/.060 GP.

This SBR was assembled as a 150m and in room cleaner, running 75gr Hornady HD SBR loads.

On short barrels (10.5'' to 11.5'') short cans are loud, full size cans are less loud and cans on any AR (short or long) are still loud!!

My rig is set up to NOT blow out my Tympanum in an enclosed space.....thats all, and thats all I expect.

140db to 142db rating on this setup is better then 156db or 165db on a non-suppressed weapon.

again this is expectation, and I'm comfortable with this.
    SHOOT MORE -POST LESS!!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I have many cans and really don't care which one I put on to the the gun tolerable and thats good. So buy a can that has a good deal and you can buy local. The new Sig cans are good and priced right, I have a direct thread sig can in jail, its small and built tuff. The mini 4 is time proven.

I agree with "get the full sized can" for your first. You want to be able to shoot without ears.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    So a mini can is still bad outdoors with no ears I gather? Outside with a can or not I'm still going to wear ears if I'm being honest. Are there any suggestions for a first can to use in an HD role that don't add to much length and will keep me from rupturing and ear drum in the even, or is it any quality full size can will do ya kid and the length isn't as bad as you think?

Feedback Score
    YHM Turbo...

...or YHM Resonator if you have any 30 cal (or 6.5/6.8/etc) hosts.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    The mini would be fine for HD in a house with no ears, jut for one or two pops. It will be too loud to practice with inside or outside, but in a Fight or Flight situation that can would make it sooo much better than nothing. And still be scary for a bad guy to hear. Just my thoughts.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Call me the oddball, for an 11.5 id get a mini can. Regardless, a suppressed 11.5 will still be loud, albeit less damaging to your hearing. My priorities are with weight, overall length and point of impact shift over actual sound suppression.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a Mini 4 on an 11.5, it actually isn't that bad outside as the shooter. It is really different when someone else is shooting near to you. The shot was actually a lot more noticeable, while less loud, the blast can physically be felt more throughout your body more. I also use it with a 14.5 at the range and do not really notice much difference. I also have not noticed any issues with being gassed, but I run both with adjustable gas and A5 buffer systems so that could be a big help.

I specifically got it for my HD gun but have not shot it inside, the length is very handy in my house though. I got it as my first can as well, if I was doing it today I would still be getting a mini can first as I still think it is the best compromise for me, but I always use ear pro when shooting anyway, as am always around someone else shooting unsuppressed.

There probably better options now than the mini4 though, it is a pretty old design in the suppressor world
    Funny, if people like us really were the kind of people they like to portray us as, they would never dare say it. In fact, they probably wouldn't exist... -djejators

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Recently added a Surefire mini to the collection and with my rather poor hearing I can't notice the difference between the regular SOCOM and the mini on a 10.5" barrel. This is outdoors. No access to a rifle caliber indoor range here. I will say that even a suppressed 9mm pistol and subsonic rounds gets uncomfortable indoors after a few rounds without hearing protection.

Even the length difference between the two isn't that noticeable. The biggest thing that I notice is the weight difference, and it's not that much. I would start with your max budget, then find the lightest and shortest can that fits, for the best overall price. And lets be honest here... Its doubtful that this will be your last can... they are addictive.
    nothing screams napoleonic warfare more than cannons roaring in the background

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast