Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor for an 11.5

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I ordered an OSS HX-QD 762 Ti last year for my new Hunting rifle in 6.5 CM. But I will be using it on a Colt 6933, 11.5" barrel. I will also use that same 6933 upper on my Colt M16. In the near future I will be using my new OSS can on a Smith Ent. M21. I spent a little more and got the can in Titanium. It is only 14 oz. and at the time that I bought it OSS had a special on two free mounts of your choice when you purchased an OSS Suppressor. I got one muzzle brake in 762 and one in 556.

I made the choice of an OSS suppressor due to their low blow back. My sons have AAC cans in 556 & 30 cal. Blow back is always an issue.

I strongly suggest that you consider a 30 cal can if you have more then one rifle that you want to suppress that is larger then 556.

Good Luck with your choice.

Feedback Score
    I have a Sandman-S that I run on my 11.5” SBR. Not the quietest set up, but pleasant to shoot.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Here is a long video that discusses using suppressors on short barreled rifles. It is geared to the OSS HX-QD line of suppressors. I found it to be informative. I currently have a Titanium Model HX-QD 762 going through the ATF process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj4WVy7_qtU

Feedback Score
    I was thinking about getting a KAC qdc cqb 5.56 for my 11.5 or 12.5 certainly after reading this thread

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0uTkAsT View Post
    My only centerfire can is a Dead Air Sandman-K. I have no regrets with the small can, it does everything I needed and expected it to do. Yes, it's loud. It's still more comfortable to shoot my 11.5" with the can than my 14.5" without it, though.
    I'm thinking of buying the Sandman K as my first can as well. Same purpose as OP. Strictly for firing a couple of rounds without ears in the event of a HD scenario or while hunting. No long strings of fire. Host will be 11.5 556. Have you fired yours without ears?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I'm thinking of buying the Sandman K as my first can as well. Same purpose as OP. Strictly for firing a couple of rounds without ears in the event of a HD scenario or while hunting. No long strings of fire. Host will be 11.5 556. Have you fired yours without ears?
    Yes, but only outdoors. I was able to get a couple rounds off without pain but make no mistake, it's extremely loud and right on the threshold of discomfort. Being indoors is another thing entirely... an 11.5" shooting full power 5.56 from a 5" can is not going to be a pleasant experience no matter what, but I think I'd still rather shoot an SBR with a K-can than an unsuppressed 16" gun if I had to let one rip without ears on. Sound is one thing, concussive force is another to consider and that's where even short suppressors shine.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yes, but only outdoors. I was able to get a couple rounds off without pain but make no mistake, it's extremely loud and right on the threshold of discomfort. Being indoors is another thing entirely... an 11.5" shooting full power 5.56 from a 5" can is not going to be a pleasant experience no matter what, but I think I'd still rather shoot an SBR with a K-can than an unsuppressed 16" gun if I had to let one rip without ears on. Sound is one thing, concussive force is another to consider and that's where even short suppressors shine.
    yeah, that's what I figured as well. better to have something that is short and maneuverable that helps mitigate the disorientation versus trying to think i'll achieve that zero dark thirty quiet with 556 in the house.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    yeah, that's what I figured as well. better to have something that is short and maneuverable that helps mitigate the disorientation versus trying to think i'll achieve that zero dark thirty quiet with 556 in the house.
    Pretty much. It's enough to take some of the edge off the sound signature without adding as much weight and bulk as a larger can, and unlike something like the Surefire Warden, it actually contains the blast instead of just redirecting it. And if you use the 5.56 flash hider front cap, it does pretty well with controlling muzzle flash as well... that is, until you start building up unburned powder inside during longer courses of fire, and then occasionally you end up with the scenario below. In a home defense scenario, that type of event is pretty unlikely and it should perform well as a flash hider.

Last edited by 0uTkAsT; 03-29-19 at 16:29.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Pretty much. It's enough to take some of the edge off the sound signature without adding as much weight and bulk as a larger can, and unlike something like the Surefire Warden, it actually contains the blast instead of just redirecting it. And if you use the 5.56 flash hider front cap, it does pretty well with controlling muzzle flash as well... that is, until you start building up unburned powder inside during longer courses of fire, and then occasionally you end up with the scenario below. In a home defense scenario, that type of event is pretty unlikely and it should perform well as a flash hider.

awesome! haha!

Feedback Score
    I have a specwar 556k on my 11.5”, not the smallest of the K cans but no regrets. I would have gone smaller (socom mini, sandman-k if it were available at the time) but I got a “could not pass up” price on the specwar. I wear plugs all the time with my suppressed guns so even the K cans offer enough dB reduction with minimal weight/length added.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast