Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody, besides me, carry FMJ in his daily carry semi-auto?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironman8 View Post
    Why not have both??

Unless of course that’s just an excuse for you to be cheap and not pony up for quality purpose made ammo...
    LOL. Hollow points ARE expensive. Hardnose rounds are more better 'n shit.

Feedback Score
    My very short answer is, no. Stop being cheap and go buy a quality HP round. Stack the deck as much in your favor as possible.
    Reads a lot, posts little.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Safari View Post
    Okay...here goes...I know I'm that odd duck in some things gun-related, but I've begun the journey back to ball ammo for everything.

Here's my theory: I know defensive ammo is a beautiful thing and "man stopping bullets MUST expand" and all that happy horseshit, BUT--I think fancy-schmancy ammo psychologically creates a false sense if security. Shot placement is more important.

There are lots of dead people with 22 lr bullets or 25 caliber slugs in their vitals but very few dead people with Federal Hydra Shocks in an arm muscle.

Point being: knowing you are shooting ball ammo forces you to not rely on a magic bullet to make your careful aim unnecessary.
    That makes as much sense as preferring a bolt-action rifle because it makes you concentrate on that one shot, because you can't just spray bullets.

By all of which logic...

You ought to use a percussion cap-and-ball single-shot pistol: It'll force you to take your time, so that your only shot goes right where you want it, cuz it'll take you twenty seconds to reload it. And you don't need to worry about penetration with a 50-caliber ball.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainRaven View Post
    That makes as much sense as preferring a bolt-action rifle because it makes you concentrate on that one shot, because you can't just spray bullets.

By all of which logic...

You ought to use a percussion cap-and-ball single-shot pistol: It'll force you to take your time, so that your only shot goes right where you want it, cuz it'll take you twenty seconds to reload it. And you don't need to worry about penetration with a 50-caliber ball.
    Fraid not. Your logic carries things to an unnecessary extreme.

Granted I'm looking at things from the standpoint of a "non gun person" but I think even advanced pistoleros can have tunnel vision and rely too much on power rather than skill.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Fraid not. My logic carries things to an unnecessary extreme.

Granted I'm looking at things from the standpoint of a "non gun person" but I think even advanced pistoleros can have tunnel vision and rely too much on power rather than skill.
    FIFY.

And I don't buy it.

The only guys who are going to focus on, "power rather than skill," are not going to be advanced pistoleros, they're going to be the ignorant and the stupid. They're going to pack a Judge or a Glock 29 or a S&W 360PD (ultra-light titanium cylinder J-frame in 357 Magnum), probably loaded with #4 bird shot, Liberty Civil Defense, and Glaser Safety Slugs, respectively. They'll be the guys who never practice and insist that if you need more than five shots, you weren't skilled or lucky enough to win the fight, anyway.

Bottom-line: Your entire premise is flawed.

Choosing FMJs as a defensive load intentionally is pretty much exactly the same thing as saying, "Nyet, rifle is fine," whenever you see an AK that isn't wood and Communist, exactly as Comrade Mikhail, as instructed by divine writ by Lenin, intended in 1949: It reeks of either, "muh seven-six-two,"/"the two-two-tree wuz designed ta wund, not ta kill,"/"the nine-em-em will git yew kilt in teh streets," (IOW, everything before 1959 was perfect and everything after was a huge mistake that will fail you at the least opportune time, from plastic guns to lights to optics to hollowpoints) or having the poor (and probably being a closet communist) or both.
    Last edited by MountainRaven; 12-30-18 at 00:15.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Dude: chill out. Defensive ammo is always preferred. I'm just saying too many people rely on magic exploding bullets rather than technique and training. We are not in an argument here.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    I use nothing but FMJ for concealed carry. Why? Because I find that FMJ is consistent shape whereas, hollow point have unique characteristics- some feed well, some don't.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Fraid not. Your logic carries things to an unnecessary extreme.

So does yours. You imply that by having hollow points people will think it's extra deadly regardless of hit where as having fmj will force them to aim. It's the same argument from many revolver carriers. Having a revolver will force you to aim carefully where as a modern semi auto holding more than 6 rounds is just to spray and pray. As if those who carry modern semi autos will just shoot randomly till they get to 5 or 6 rounds and only then start aiming.

Feedback Score
    Why do people have such a problem with what I posted? I was speaking for myself and a handful of people I know. Do whatever you want. I don't care. I just know too many newbies who think Hollow points are an excuse not to practice or work on technique.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Why do people have such a problem with what I posted?
    Why do people buy Trojan Magnums knowing they really need Lifestyle Snugger Fit. Because it makes them feel bigger and more secure! Its the same .45 vs 9mm, Glock vs 1911, FMJ vs JHP, Coke vs Pepsi. Personally, I like the idea of an exit wound, its two holes for the price of 1- (sounds like a lady I met in Vegas). Either way, getting shot 2-3 times with either JHP or FMJ will hurt like a bitch!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast