Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: General purpose 20 inch 308

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Tikka and Bergara are safe bets. There is a similar thread you could read on as well in Precision Rifle sub forum.

PB
    RIght on. I hadn't thought of it, but a Bergara HMR (or Ridge except for the DBM) would fit the OPs needs as well as a Tikka CTR.

Feedback Score
    Thank you for all the replies. Just to be clear, I am interested in a general purpose rifle, not a "by the book" scout rifle. It seems the Tikka t3 CTR could be a great option. It weighs the same as the Remy, but has DBMs. I will keep researching and thinking about it before I make a purchase. If I bought it today, I'd probably get a 700, swap out the stock, and add a Magpul box mag well kit, and throw on a scope. Maybe that's just because I grew up on Remington and want them to be good.
    Take time to deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in.-Andrew Jackson
    كافر

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Another option is the Remington 5R in .308. I've had mine for about a year or so now and love it. I replaced the trigger with a Timney trigger but other than that it is stock. Very accurate! The Tikka and Bergara would fit the bill also.

Feedback Score
    I purchased a Rem .308 700 AAC SD about 5 years ago.
    Hunter stock, Timney trigger and APA brake. Very pleased.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
    I purchased a Rem .308 700 AAC SD about 5 years ago.
    Hunter stock, Timney trigger and APA brake. Very pleased.

I did a similar drill with Rem 700 drill with their 5R’. Timney trigger , Pillar bed stock, cheek riser , AAC can in 223, 308, 300 WM. It was 7 years ago and still have the 223 and it’s a laser beam. It was the thing to do back then.

It’s still a viable alternative but it ends up pretty pricy. I never regretted any of those builds , but that was a long time ago before new entries in the market.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I read a lot of negative comments about Remington, but not too many actual accounts of actual issues. Remington did have a poor run of rifles at one point according to some examples I heard about. But we ran into a guy at the range that pointed out that the current models with the digital code under the bolt knob are good as they are run on a single CNC as opposed to older guns machined on several stations. (our reference samples are production from the last 8+/- years for what it's worth)

We've run into one bad barrel, but that's it. Our Riflesmith works on these things all the time, and I've not heard of any sort of "avoid remington" comments. In fact, I think he'll still tell us to go get this one or that one from time to time.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Weatherby Vanguard Youth

I hunt in northwestern NC on land with slopes up to 30%. Mixture of woods and and pastures. I wanted a light and compact rifle and purchased a Weatherby Vanguard Youth in 308. It has a very good trigger. This rifle has a cut down stock but includes a 1" spacer; I added a Sims slip on recoil pad that added an inch and gives me a good pull length. It has a 20" barrel. I mounted a low power Nikon variable scope. Total weight is right at 7.5 pounds.
    The Vanguard is a Howa action, which is not cutting edge technology but tried & true. Weatherby has put a good stock on this model that I much prefer over the Howa offerings.
    It was relatively affordable. It is handy. And it is accurate.
    Last edited by LDM; 01-05-19 at 06:49.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The Howa 1500's are amazingly accurate (Japanese) and most manufacturers make stocks/chassis for them. If you want a 700 the Magpul combo is a pretty good deal, if you search around they sell new for $800ish. Not a bad deal at all for 5R rifling, threaded barrel, factory tac bolt knob (helps if wearing gloves), magpul stock/bottom metal, etc. I would scoop one up in a heart beat:

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...del-700-magpul

https://www.remington.com/rifles/bol...agpul-enhanced

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I read a lot of negative comments about Remington, but not too many actual accounts of actual issues. Remington did have a poor run of rifles at one point according to some examples I heard about.
    I tend to agree the negative comments are way over blown. Remington like any company has had it's moments when they have stumbled. Often around management or ownership changes. But they ultimately turn things around.

Except for their trigger issue (which is easily solved...after all who uses the factory trigger??) I personally haven't read of an issue that would ever give me pause in buying a Remington. but if you know about the high quality replacements out there, that pause should be a short one.

Feedback Score
    I have worked on a bunch of 700s and have seen a good number of problems that cannot be discounted to "negative comments overblown".

Just google "Remington 700 bolt handles broken"..

I have also seen factory stocks so flimsy and cheap that they had multiple contact points all up and down the barrel, short chambers, totally screwed up rifling, absolutely horrible crowns that should have never left the factory etc. Plus when using the actions as a base for a custom gun that always have to be trued/squared, which is simply NOT the case with the Tikka T3s.

This is coming from a guy who was a die hard Remington guy for a very long time. Remington today is not the same company it was 25 years ago. That is a fact.

When I attended the M24 armorer school for Dept of State, the older gentleman who had been with Remington for many years said the exact same thing off line (not in front of the class).
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast