Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Stuck on Mount

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Suppressor Stuck on Mount

I went out Saturday and did some shooting. I shot an upper with a suppressor mount I’ve shot before. I took the suppressor off and put it on a new mount on a new upper I haven’t shot before and attempted to turn it back one notch but it wouldn’t budge. I thought maybe since the can was hot and the mount was cold (about 40° that day) that did something to it to make it stick. I thought maybe if I heated the mount up it would free the can so I did a quick mag dump and then attempted to remove the can - no luck. Got back home, took the upper off and put it in my vice via a Geissele Reaction Rod and attempted to twist the can off but still no luck.

Parts: YHM Phantom can, YHM QD mount

Any thought in what’s happened? Any ideas on how to get this can off?

My iPhone XS Max is better than your android!

Feedback Score
    Not sure I’ve seen a YHM get stuck like that. I’d try to heat it up and have a strap wrench handy. AR wrench on the mount and strap wrench on the can.

I would’ve also assumed it was the hot can on a cold mount issue, a mag dump would’ve seemed like the logical fix.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

It got stuck one other time when I left the can on the gun for an extended period after shooting. I had to take the mount off the barrel (with the can still attached) and I soaked the the mount end of it in a cup of something, possibly WD-40, I don’t remember exactly. After soaking for a time, I don’t remember how long, I was able to twist the can off with no problem, just like it’s supposed to.

It’s currently soaking in WD-40, again.

Last edited by officerX; 12-31-18 at 15:56.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Happened to me once. I soaked in Kroil, a type of penetrating oil, then after a slight heating it broke free using significant force. Since then my friends at Accurate Ordnance advised I use Permatex anti seize lube in very small quantities about twice year with all suppressor attachments ...no problems since. Good Luck!
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHunter View Post
    Happened to me once. I soaked in Kroil, a type of penetrating oil, then after a slight heating it broke free using significant force. Since then my friends at Accurate Ordnance advised I use Permatex anti seize lube in very small quantities about twice year with all suppressor attachments ...no problems since. Good Luck!
    Can you elaborate? I'm assuming they meant putting the anti-seize on the threads/teeth of the mount twice a year?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)

The 1800 degree permatex should work well. Or 1500 degree. Idk which. I use it on header bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    The 1800 degree permatex should work well. Or 1500 degree. Idk which. I use it on header bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Huh? I’m confused.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    Huh? I’m confused.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 01-01-19 at 07:12.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Can you elaborate? I'm assuming they meant putting the anti-seize on the threads/teeth of the mount twice a year?
    Yep. After I finally got the suppressor off the mount I asked them how to prevent that from occuring in the future. They recommend keeping a very small amount on the threads/attachment contacts to avoid the seizing and so far, they've been right on the money. Frequency of application should be dependent on use, on/off mounting, etc...but in general keep a small amount of Permatex on the threads/contacts. I use the Copper based 1800 degree version.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've used the permatex stuff as well. It doesn't take much to keep things from sticking. My rule of thumb from wrenching on cars and dirtbikes is that if the coating is largely visible, with no bare metal showing, it doesn't need replaced. When the coating appears patchy, wipe it off and reapply.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast