Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Concave 115 FMJ

Feedback Score
    Amen!
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Best guess; the concave base helps to obturate, “slug up” and provides a better seal for the bore, which prevents gas “blow by”, helping accuracy.
    A .22 has a skirted base for this reason.
    Hmmm... I wonder how much a modern jacketed bullet does this. Minie bullet were designed that way, but they were soft lead, and they were muzzle-loaded.

Another thought: Making the base concave increases the bearing surface relative to weight.

And the .22lr's bullet is just a relic of how revolver cartridges used to be made, right? The bullet is is as big as the case, and so the back of the bullet must be skirted to fit in the case?

Lapua made some skirted bullets for aero reasons (like a squared-off boattail), but that never caught on...

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Hmmm... I wonder how much a modern jacketed bullet does this....
    A jacketed bullet will slug up, but it takes considerably more chamber pressure to do so than a soft, lead bullet.

Reading that the mic'd bullet was .355"- my guess the concave base was to help seal bore with a sloppy bullet fit- doesn't appear to have any merit.

Feedback Score
    Just sent Everglades a email asking about dia.If you have ever spent time looking for the best accuracy out of the 9mm and the better shooting 9's you will know that building great ammo can be a challenge !

Feedback Score
    I'm no longer a bullseye guy, and never tried it with a 9. Do have a Smith 52, and it wouldn't shoot fer squat with 'beancan' wadcutters; it wanted the skirted kind.
    My one size fits all load works well enough in all of my nines.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    7 yd blasting ammo is easy to make and fun to shoot, making super accurate 9mm ammo (Just ask AMU) will make you old, bald and pissy real fast, also broke!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The heart of an accuracy load is the bullet.
    I don’t scrimp on bullets for ammo that needs to shoot “Ten Ring”.

The 115’s mentioned should be fine for IPSC target A zone to at least 25 yds. Read; 3+ inches.

Feedback Score
    Your 100% right on the bullets, junk won't fly. Also remember your reloading habits are just as important, If it don't go in straight it don't come out straight!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Another thought: Making the base concave increases the bearing surface relative to weight.
    BINGO! Even if there are other reasons, my bet is that this is the primary reason for the concave bullet.

BTW, that's an excellent price on the concave bullets. Their price on American made 9mm bullets is kind of high. I think they're getting their 147gr JHP's from Zero Bullets. They're price is much better on the same.

Feedback Score
    The price is good but they still are under size and with the wide range of bore dia. in 9mm it may be a crap shoot at best? The deal only saves me $20.00 over RMR and I know what they make and how well they shoot.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast