Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Concave 115 FMJ

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 5shank View Post
    The price is good but they still are under size and with the wide range of bore dia. in 9mm it may be a crap shoot at best? The deal only saves me $20.00 over RMR and I know what they make and how well they shoot.
    RMR??

Feedback Score
    Rocky Mountain Reloading, Someone ask where I got my info from on sizing and it came from Everglades yesterday in a email. As far as I can tell only the 115 gr 9mm concave base bullets run a pinch under size and should not be a problem for those that keep a close eye on neck tension so to avoid setback. For 99% of all shooters these bullets will work great for low cost blasting, just keep a eye out for setback with mixed casings. Everglades Reloading seem to be a good business to deal with and I like the fact that they are honest when you ask about a product like I did.
    5shank,

Feedback Score
    Interesting that this is a bullet design for modern breech fired weapon. I’m not sure of the problem it’s solves.

The first thing I thought of is the minié ball of the Civil War era. It’s was slightly undersized to aid in fast loading from the muzzle and had a hollowed out base with grease rings on the outside. The based would expand when fired and take up the rifling.
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish." - Ty Webb

Feedback Score
    I've loaded and shot about 10k of these bullets from Everglades. I bought the Lee undersized die per Everglades' recommendation and have had no issues with setback. Currently shooting through 5k of the 115's loaded over 5.1 grains of HP-38. Also shot 5k of the 124's over 4.6gr of Hp-38. That's the only powder I've ever used. Accuracy is fine for what I do. I'm more concerned with getting reps and quality training time in than trying to put tiny holes in paper. ...I currently have some Power Pistol and some 124's on the way to make a hotter round that feels more like a factory load. I'll continue to shoot these until something more cost effective comes along...

I measured 10 of the 115's. 8 of 10 were .354.5, 1 was .355 and 1 was .354. OAL of the bullet is a bit all over the place. Of the 10, the shortest was .566, longest was .577.
    Last edited by msnyder0609; 01-03-19 at 14:57.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OldState View Post
    Interesting that this is a bullet design for modern breech fired weapon. I’m not sure of the problem it’s solves.
    The only real problem that I can see it solving is increasing the contact area between the case and bullet when loading 115gr bullets. I don't see this being a benefit with 124gr bullets though.

Quote Originally Posted by msnyder0609 View Post
    I measured 10 of the 115's. 8 of 10 were .354.5, 1 was .355 and 1 was .354. OAL of the bullet is a bit all over the place. Of the 10, the shortest was .566, longest was .577.
    The length I wouldn't be concerned about, but a 0.001 spread in bullet diameter is too much for my liking.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    The only real problem that I can see it solving is increasing the contact area between the case and bullet when loading 115gr bullets.l..
    Didn't Berry also make some concave-base plated bullets?

IIRC, their logic was the same: More contact area (relative to weight) in the case and in the barrel.

Again, I don't see these working like Minie bullets...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For only a few dollars more, Everglades will sell you 115 FMJ Made in USA flat based. That's what I got; 4000 of them.

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a safe plan.

Feedback Score
    I've been reloading for 54 years and I still am learning, I'm no expert but one thing I do know all to well is that the cost of producing top notch ammo isn't a whole lot more then blasting ammo. The learning curve to shooting a handgun can be long and when the bullets are not going where their supposed to go I want to know why and that's why I try to buy the best components I can afford and build ammo that is accurate from the get go. I guess to each their own, you just have to decide what's more important when your spending your money.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^In the same boat; "first, you gotta have confidence in your equipment".

I use Precision Delta or Zero (Everglades) 124 JHPs with range/competition ammo. From tuned, Kart barreled 1911's it shoots just over 2" at 50 yds. from a rest.
    If the better bullets cost $10/$20 bucks additional a thousand it's worth it to me- even though I average over 15K rds. of 9mm a year.

When I shoot and pull a shot, I want to know it's ME and not the gun/ammo.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast