Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of a Pistol Caliber Carbine?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by everready73 View Post
    Another advantage for a PCC would be ammo compatibility with your handgun of choice
    I can see where that might come into play; but with the number of rifle rounds I keep, it would be a very bad day if I had to resort to taking rounds out of my pistol mags.

ETA: I don't carry a Glock, so my pistol mags would not be compatible with any PCC, to my knowledge.
    Last edited by echo5whiskey; 01-02-19 at 18:05.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    A very skilled national level competitor and instructor gave me his take on semi auto 9mm carbines for self defense. His point was for a skilled shooter, there is almost no difference in performance between a service pistol with a red dot and a carbine at realistic home and personal defense distances. There is little or no ballistic advantage to a 9mm out of a carbine, and there may even be a ballistic disadvantage given the barrel lengths service rounds were developed for. Further, the carbine is harder than a pistol to carry and deploy. His take was a red dot pistol on your belt, and even an extra pistol in a bag, makes way more sense than a 9mm semi auto long gun. Now bring rifle power to a fight, and the long gun makes all sorts of sense.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    ammo commonality
    sometimes mag compatibility
    range restrictions may be pistol calibers only
    if green or frang ammo required, pistol is cheaper and more accessible than rifle
    downrange hazard reduction
    noise reduction
    sometimes suppressor commonality
    steel target or shoot house considerations
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thank all of you for the input. Just like most things involving shooting and tactics, it appears there are two sides. I'll put together what I've gleaned from this thread so far, just to make sure I'm not missing or misconstruing anything:

Pros (not specific to range/training):
    1. Ammo commonality
    For me, this is not really an issue. I keep plenty of both on hand; and unless we're subject to an extreme national incident, I doubt I'll ever need to consolidate.
    2. mag compatibility
    I don't know of any PCCs that can utilize PPQ mags.
    3. Reduced noise
    4. Lower chance of collateral injury/death due to misses
    5. Less expensive ammo

Cons:
    1. Possible reliability issues
    2. Reduced effectiveness on threat [as compared to rifle rounds]
    3. Possible reduced ballistic performance [as compared to the same round from a handgun]
    I'm no ballistic expert, but it seems this could be overcome by choice of ammo?
    4. Wieldability (is that even a word?)
    I will almost always choose a rifle over a handgun, so wieldability [sic] is not an issue for me.

Did I miss anything?
    Last edited by echo5whiskey; 01-02-19 at 20:47.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by echo5whiskey View Post
    I'll put together what I've gleaned from this thread so far, just to make sure I'm not missing or misconstruing anything:

3. Possible reduced ballistic performance [as compared to the same round from a handgun]
    I'm no ballistic expert, but it seems this could be overcome by choice of ammo?
    Unless you are talking sub-sonic 300BO you aren't going to begin to approach rifle performance with pistol ammo.

Rifle velocities create much larger permanent wound cavities than pistol calibers, primarily as a result of velocity.

Regardless. placement is paramount.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Unless you are talking sub-sonic 300BO you aren't going to begin to approach rifle performance with pistol ammo.

Rifle velocities create much larger permanent wound cavities than pistol calibers, primarily as a result of velocity.

Regardless. placement is paramount.
    Oh, I didn't mean comparing rifle to pistol rounds, I meant comparing pistol rounds fired from a PCC to those from a handgun. GJM mentioned that someone he respected said that handgun ammo doesn't perform as well out of PCCs. In other words, it seems that one could find a handgun load that perform as well or better from a PCC than a handgun.

Feedback Score
    They are a compromise for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I recently saw this and it really piqued my interest. Not sure why, maybe for the cool factor. It would make a great little HD, CQB weapon IMO. Not wanting to start a PCC vs. Rifle Caliber war here....

https://www.preppergunshop.com/cz-sc...rpion-magazine
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    I'll add that if someone in your house is willing to use a gun but isn't interested enough in shooting to learn a handgun well they'll probably enjoy training (fun + learning + easy hits = familiarity and confidence) with a 9mm carbine.

The same person will not enjoy a rifle or shotgun near as much and wont want to shoot / learn.

IMO to make the most sense (for the firearm enthusiast/police/soldier) a pistol caliber carbine should be very short, light, compact, and preferably full auto.

Examples: mp5k, Uzi mini, Vz61.
    Last edited by Ron3; 01-04-19 at 12:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    I'll add that if someone in your house is willing to use a gun but isn't interested enough in shooting to learn a handgun well they'll probably enjoy training (fun + learning + easy hits = familiarity and confidence) with a 9mm carbine.

The same person will not enjoy a rifle or shotgun near as much and wont want to shoot / learn.
    This is an excellent point.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast