Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Benefits of a Pistol Caliber Carbine?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Corporal View Post
    And in doing so you then you end up turning a rifle into a pistol caliber if you use subsonic ammo which at 10 yards is negligible from a suppressed 9 or 40 or 45. You only see benefit at distance if using a suppressed rifle. In most cases unless you use the Lehigh in .300 AAC, the pistol caliber will actually expand larger.
    I never mentioned subsonic ammo.

Feedback Score
    I made my comments about PCC's for HD on page one or two.

As far as rifles for same purpose 14.5-16 inch (20 inch optional if your including outside defense on a big property) is fine. Boring, but fine.

Keep electronic hearing protection near the rifle. (Or shotgun) If you need a gun "right now" (under 5 sec?) your pistol should be on you or very close. If you think you may need a gun in the next few seconds (5-?) grab your ear protection and rifle.

If you still have time to prepare (20 sec?) armor is the next thing to grab.

Those times were made up by me. 😎

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    How much are you really planning on talking WHILE you’re slinging rounds? Having a conversation as you’re firing seems way more like fantasy land to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not much but if giving orders to family to do something, I don’t want them to go deaf. I would like to preserve my own hearing as well so that I can hear additional threats and or the responding police to obey commands.

Not trying to be an (insert word here) and if you do so, do so at your own risk but next time you go to an indoor range, pick a lane towards the wall, take off your ear plugs, hug the wall and fire 5 quick rounds In succession. Then have your partner give you commands. You’ll see what I’m talking about. It can be quite disorientating. You’d never be able to hear your wife yelling at you that someone else came in through the back door.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Not much but if giving orders to family to do something, I don’t want them to go deaf. I would like to preserve my own hearing as well so that I can hear additional threats and or the responding police to obey commands.

Not trying to be an (insert word here) and if you do so, do so at your own risk but next time you go to an indoor range, pick a lane towards the wall, take off your ear plugs, hug the wall and fire 5 quick rounds In succession. Then have your partner give you commands. You’ll see what I’m talking about. It can be quite disorientating. You’d never be able to hear your wife yelling at you that someone else came in through the back door.
    Eh. I'm more worried about the person I'm shooting at getting killt and 75gr Gold Dots will do that much moar better than 124 gr Gold Dots.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

I want the opposite. Im not a ninja commando sneaking around my house taking about bad guys. I want the dude that just trespassed with a weapon in my living room to know hes up against a loud fire breathing dragon, I want his hommies who might be out back or in the get a way car to know some bad shit just went down when he entered said house.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Any gunfight indoors is going to be loud and quick. Regardless who has what unless its some John Wick Patriot Games mess where everyone has suppressors and samurai swords.
    And if that is a real threat then move.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

go to an indoor range, pick a lane towards the wall, take off your ear plugs, hug the wall and fire 5 quick rounds In succession. Then have your partner give you commands. You’ll see what I’m talking about. It can be quite disorientating. You’d never be able to hear your wife yelling at you that someone else came in through the back door.
    Been there done that. Not at a range but indoor in a concrete soundproof room. Fired everything from 22lr to 9mm, 38spl, 357, 7.62x25, 44mag, 50AE, 7.62x39, 7.62x54, 12G. Did a "mag dump" of 5 rounds of 7.62x54.

It was a stupid thing to do for sure but you don't go death. You can still hear just not the same as you did right before shooting. It's muffled. I was still able to have regular conversations and hear people normally.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    It was a stupid thing to do for sure but you don't go death. You can still hear just not the same as you did right before shooting. It's muffled. I was still able to have regular conversations and hear people normally.
    Arik and Others - Serious - please don't do that stuff. I'm the guy that plugged and muffed his whole career and now wears two hearing aides.

Hearing loss generally happens over time and so incrementally that you don't notice until everyone starts getting pissed at you saying 'Huh?' or 'What?' all the time.

That being said, my left ear limited out with one 5.56 round when I cracked my muffs to talk to a student during a cease fire and the guy next to us let off a round. It hurt, rang, and never came back, I had been boloing hearing tests for a while, but that one put the ribbon on it.

In defense of your family or others hearing is a distant consideration, otherwise protect it like your eggs.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    Arik and Others - Serious - please don't do that stuff. I'm the guy that plugged and muffed his whole career and now wears two hearing aides.

Hearing loss generally happens over time and so incrementally that you don't notice until everyone starts getting pissed at you saying 'Huh?' or 'What?' all the time.

That being said, my left ear limited out with one 5.56 round when I cracked my muffs to talk to a student during a cease fire and the guy next to us let off a round. It hurt, rang, and never came back, I had been boloing hearing tests for a while, but that one put the ribbon on it.

In defense of your family or others hearing is a distant consideration, otherwise protect it like your eggs.
    Young and dumb. In my early 20s. At work we had an abandoned soundproof building we could mess around in so what better way to spend working hours then with some target practice!

Just this Saturday I was in a class. Took the muffs off to listen to the instructor and when it came time for everyone to fire I forgot to put them back on!

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post

Facts

I have tinnitus in my left ear thanks to some douchebag who touched off a 3.5” slug out of his 835 after the line went cold right next to me.

One round. And the the ringing is always there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast