Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of a Pistol Caliber Carbine?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Others have listed benefits, and I won't try to talk anybody out of enjoying their PCC.

For me personally: no benefit whatsoever. My pistols accomplish what I need them to. Rifles: same. Don't need anything else, and I *especially* don't need more specialized or proprietary operating systems/parts/mags/uppers/etc to figure out, debug, and maintain.

Feedback Score
    Tactical teams who use SBR rifles indoors with supersonic ammo without cans use electronic hearing protection with radio speakers to communicate with each other. In home defense, myself and family will use no such thing since it isn’t practical when a bump goes in the night and you have to react quickly. That is one reason why one would choose a PCC over a rifle in a 2 bedroom condo.

Those that use a subsonic rifle caliber with a can thinking that they have a rifle caliber in reality now have a pointed pistol caliber going at about or below 1000 FPS that cannot penetrate level 3A or plate armor anyway so the armor argument is moot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bang4Buck View Post
    All other things held constant, you're saying there is nothing wrong with choosing a tool that has less than half the kinetic energy of something else. Let alone the tumbling and yawing and such.

I don't think anyone said that a pistol suddenly lacks stopping power. We've said it has less stopping power than an AR. If you can get to your AR, use it. Otherwise, use the next best available tool.
    Yes. That is correct. I do not want to use a rifle indoors. Am I allowed that choice or do I have to follow the herd? The next best available choice for me instead of a pistol is one that isn’t deafening with a fireball in the dark that I can shoulder and be accurate with. Do whatever works for you. I made my choice after knowing first hand what it sounds like shooting a rifle indoors without hearing protection.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine Corporal View Post
    Yes. That is correct. I do not want to use a rifle indoors. Am I allowed that choice or do I have to follow the herd? The next best available choice for me instead of a pistol is one that isn’t deafening with a fireball in the dark that I can shoulder and be accurate with. Do whatever works for you. I made my choice after knowing first hand what it sounds like shooting a rifle indoors without hearing protection.
    The sound concern is an absolutely valid point. I keep a set of electronic earmuffs, eye protection, and a battle belt with loaded mags next to my bed for this reason.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bang4Buck View Post
    The sound concern is an absolutely valid point. I keep a set of electronic earmuffs, eye protection, and a battle belt with loaded mags next to my bed for this reason.
    When things happen fast, you don’t have time to dawn all that stuff on.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Agree. That’s why my glock is in a gun vault on the night stand next to my bed. If something happens fast, that’s what I grab. If I have more time, I go to the safe 15 feet away and grab the SBR and other items.

Agree. That’s why my glock is in a gun vault on the night stand next to my bed. If something happens fast, that’s what I grab. If I have more time, I go to the safe 15 feet away and grab the SBR and other items.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW I like the Colt SMG more than the MP5 and the DOE upper is a life goal of mine.

The mags had their little personality and it can be a bit ammo picky but it just has more muscle memory for me.

When things happen fast, you donÂ’t have time to dawn all that stuff on.
    No, but at that point it is effing on like Donkey Kong.

Feedback Score
    Thats one reason why silencers are becoming so popular.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Thats one reason why silencers are becoming so popular.
    And in doing so you then you end up turning a rifle into a pistol caliber if you use subsonic ammo which at 10 yards is negligible from a suppressed 9 or 40 or 45. You only see benefit at distance if using a suppressed rifle. In most cases unless you use the Lehigh in .300 AAC, the pistol caliber will actually expand larger.
    Last edited by Marine Corporal; 09-10-19 at 23:08.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    FWIW I like the Colt SMG more than the MP5
    Blasphemy.
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

Benefits of a Pistol Caliber Carbine?

Tactical teams who use SBR rifles indoors with supersonic ammo without cans use electronic hearing protection with radio speakers to communicate with each other. In home defense, myself and family will use no such thing since it isn’t practical when a bump goes in the night and you have to react quickly. That is one reason why one would choose a PCC over a rifle in a 2 bedroom condo.

How much are you really planning on talking WHILE you’re slinging rounds? Having a conversation as you’re firing seems way more like fantasy land to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 09-11-19 at 03:20.
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast