Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 20" AR15A4 Home Defense?

Feedback Score

20" AR15A4 Home Defense?

For several months I'd been toying around with different ideas for a new AR. Well right before Christmas a great deal on a NIB Colt AR15A4 fell in my lap and I pounced. I immediately installed a VLTOR A5 receiver extension and collapsible buttstock. I took it to the range today and it's like night and day compared to every carbine I've shot. Recoil is almost non-existant, the sight radius makes hits effortless, and everything just felt right. I shot 500 rounds with no malfunctions.

I'm truly considering relegating it to home defense duty. With the stock collapsed, it's really not much longer than a 16" AR and is almost exactly the same length as my Arsenal AK47 and M1 Carbine. Is an extra 4" of barrel enough to harm my chances of surviving/success in a home invasion scenario? Am I crazy? I like the idea of the enhanced reliability of the rifle-length gas system.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 01-02-19 at 11:53.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    If you can do it, roll with it. I have a 13.7" suppressed gun as my go-to rifle and it is probably as long as a 20" and a lot heavier too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    Couple things.

1. I think a 20” is getting pretty long for in a house unless you plan on hunkering down/staying put. Do a few dry runs and see how it goes.

2. Recoil is due to being over gassed. What carbines(ar) have you shot?

3. Muzzle jump has a lot to due with form.

4. Based in #1 vs #2, assuming muzzle jump is not a variable(it is- see #3), is maneuverability worth trading off muzzle jump? Will a carbines recoil cause you to miss when a rifle would allow you to score hits?

Feedback Score
    Couple things.

1. I think a 20” is getting pretty long for in a house unless you plan on hunkering down/staying put. Do a few dry runs and see how it goes.

2. Recoil is due to being over gassed. What carbines(ar) have you shot?

3. Muzzle jump has a lot to due with form.

4. Based in #1 vs #2, assuming muzzle jump is not a variable(it is- see #3), is maneuverability worth trading off muzzle jump? Will a carbines recoil cause you to miss when a rifle would allow you to score hits?
    1. I tried it a couple of times, and it was no more difficult than with my Mossberg 590A1.

2. Mostly Colt LE6920 who's ejection seems consistent with receiving the proper amount of gas. Also a midlength BCM that felt about the same as the 6920. Once shot a KAC SR15 that felt about similar to the 20"

3. I've got a lot of rounds through AR's and am generally pretty good at keeping the muzzle on target. I don't have any problems shooting the shorter guns, but there's no doubt the 20" was significantly smoother (the only one that's come close is the SR15, but I only fired a hundred or so rounds out of that).

4. I guess that's kind of the question. Would the maneuverability traded off by going to 20" negatively affect me in a home defense scenario enough to cause a bad outcome? Ranges are so close that I doubt I'd make a hit with the rifle that I wouldn't make with the carbine, but shot placement with rapid firing might be better.

As the first reply said, the 20" is probably no longer than a shorter AR with a can, so if that's considered a practical length for home defense, shouldn't the 20" too? Not trying to receive a specific answer, just curious on everyone's thoughts.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 01-01-19 at 20:08.

Feedback Score
    My thought is: you’re over-thinking it. I’m a little sad that you took the original buttstock off. I had to get in the safe and reassure my Colt AR15A4 that I would never put a collapsible butt stock on her.

Feedback Score
    76 (100%)
    Post a picture of your A4 with A5 stock! That's how it should have been from the start.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How much does the AR15A4 weigh compared to the 6920s? Weight, especially in the barrel, has a definite affect on recoil and muzzle rise

I haven't shot my build with a 20" A1 barrel and fixed Magpul MOE stock in a couple months...I need to rectify that.

If you're not clearing rooms via narrow hallways, then a 20" is certainly usable in an HD role. I like shooting mine too much (with irons, or course) to restrict its use to home defense.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With A2 length butt it is effectively the same length as an 18.5" barreled Mossberg 500 or an inch longer than a Remington 870 which have been home defense staples for decades so not a huge issue on the length.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I think the 20" rifle shoots pretty soft myself. With an A5 on it, it'll work just fine if it works to your satisfaction. About every third time I'm at the range I'm shooting an A4 upper for work purposes, even though I have a "high-speed" build or two. Maybe I just really like the A5/A4 upper combo...
    Last edited by opngrnd; 01-01-19 at 21:49.

Feedback Score
    Don't worry man, many a house has been cleared with 20" M16A2s/4s just fine. If it works for YOU then roll with it!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast