Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 20" AR15A4 Home Defense?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Completely unusable, too heavy, not free floated, has a big ugly front sight thingy and isn't painted. And I think it has a useless A2 flash maker, what's wrong with you?

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    I just put this together a couple of months ago with the Colt 20" I recently stole.

GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the pics, all. I'll try to get one up when I get back from work.

Namely - handguns, especially one which incorporates a visible light or laser, and chambered between 9mm to 45 auto.
    When you say "between" 9mm to 45 auto, is 9mm included in that list of acceptability?
    Also, yeah, if I really had to go clearing rooms and such, I'd probably opt for my Glock 19 or Glock 21 over either a 20" or 16" AR15. Therefore, there really is no niche for the carbine ARs for me. Folks seem to think that the carbine length is vastly inferior to midlength ARs for reliability, and I've had some concern about that myself. So I figured I may as well go for maximum reliability and get the rifle length system.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Very true. It's also the same length or shorter with the stock collapsed as the M1 Carbine.

Think I'm gonna throw a red dot and sling on it and start keeping it as my HD gun. Wonder how it'd be in classes.
    Unless you're doing vehicle stuff it'll be great. A 20", especially with the adjustable stock is not difficult to use.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It's a poor choice vs a carbine in any type of constricted environment, same as the shotguns mentioned above. It's still better than nothing and not bad enough to worry or obsess over.

Your concern over carbine reliability is overblown, and sight radius talk can't be taken very seriously since the RDS became common and tough. These are arguments that may have been relevant in 2001, but are not in 2018.

If you have taken classes but have not been through a shoot house I recommend it.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    It's only 4 inches longer than a standard 16 inch carbine. Tactics, shot placement, and luck will matter far more than an extra 4 inches of barrel in a gunfight.
    When you consider that most, "16 inch," barrels are actually 16.125-16.25 inches long, it's actually less than 4 inches. (Not hugely shorter, but still shorter.)

I say run it. Unless you have kids or other family members in other rooms that you would need to move to in a home invasion to protect, I'd rock an A1/A2/A4 with or without an A5 stock without a worry.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by masakari View Post
    Post a picture of your A4 with A5 stock! That's how it should have been from the start.
    Amen to that!!
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    It's a poor choice vs a carbine in any type of constricted environment, same as the shotguns mentioned above. It's still better than nothing and not bad enough to worry or obsess over.

Your concern over carbine reliability is overblown, and sight radius talk can't be taken very seriously since the RDS became common and tough. These are arguments that may have been relevant in 2001, but are not in 2018.

If you have taken classes but have not been through a shoot house I recommend it.
    I hope your new years resolution is to post more often.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post

I've even gone to the RDS for home defense.... and I'm the biggest irons advocate ever.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I've even gone to the RDS for home defense.... and I'm the biggest irons advocate ever.

What ever happened to the Markm we knew and loved? The one who called people gay for having FF rails?!?!?! We want him back!!
    Stick

Feedback Score
    Your concern over carbine reliability is overblown
    It seems like many on here consider midlength gas systems to be a minimum for a dependable rifle. I'd like to believe it's overblown, but I do have doubts based on the CRANE test showing that midlengths do have a higher Mean Rounds Between Stoppages than the carbine length. Part of the reason I bought the AR15A4 was to sidestep the carbine vs. midlength altogether and go right to what is supposedly the most reliable of all the gas systems.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast