Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sig P320 with RDS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Sig P320 with RDS

This is my first attempt to play with RDS on top of a pistol. A friend whom also has shitty eyes said it was a game changer for him, so I thought why not give it a try. My first sessions have been very promising.

Any tips or tricks for adapting to RDS hand gunning?
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Practice.

Practice.

Practice.

Been using a RM06 on a Gen4 19 for suppressed NV use for a few years now and only recently threw one on a Gen5 19. The NV Suppressed RMR handgun game is easy because you’re not typically doing quick draws or ccw drills under NODs. Coupled with an active IR system you can **** a lot of pests up even from the sunroof of a BMW M3.

The Gen5 took a while to make sure the dot was at eye level (visible) each time I drew but now I can get chest shots in under 1sec from a holster at 7yards. It took like 1,000 rounds to do it consistently though.

I’m not one of those guys that’s gonna offer a YouTube link to some self professed know it all. I wish I had tips or tricks for you, but it took me, a shot timer, a pack of targets, and several dozen boxes of ammo shooting under the Florida summer sun to get the muscle memory down right.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Yup that is usually the answer, practice- ammo- practice ammo........I guess Im going to have to do some high speed drills out the window of my Taco on the ranch. Its no M3 but slow and steady and she goes everywhere.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Dry fire’s your friend PB. Like Euro said; finding dot on presentation is the big hurdle.
    Umpteen years of muscle memory shooting irons doesn’t help.

They make precision at distance easier though.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Dry fire’s your friend PB. Like Euro said; finding dot on presentation is the big hurdle.
    Umpteen years of muscle memory shooting irons doesn’t help.

They make precision at distance easier though.
    Yes, I shot the best 25 yard off hand group I may have ever shot. Didn't push out further.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Piling on...

Been using an RM06/G19 since August and it helped me make huge strides in shot placement. I agree that it takes learning time to get the presentation down well, but additionally important, it lets you know when you sight alignment sucks and therefore holding off breaking the shot .25 secs to see the dot and get the sights aligned correctly.

I have 20/40 vision and an astigmatism, and often had trouble getting the front sight post to be the focus instead of the target or the shifting that would take place between the two. The RMR changes this. I also shoot the iron sights way better now that I've been shooting the RMR than I ever have. Not sure why, but its easier to focus on the front post now.

Not hitting A zone in under a second yet though...I am consistent in the placement around 1.6 to 1.7 secs at about 7-10 yards. I sure shoot 25 yd B-8's better though!
    Last edited by nightchief; 01-02-19 at 21:11. Reason: typist sucks

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    This is my first attempt to play with RDS on top of a pistol. A friend whom also has shitty eyes said it was a game changer for him, so I thought why not give it a try. My first sessions have been very promising.

Any tips or tricks for adapting to RDS hand gunning?
    Dry fire, daily. Both trigger control (because you will likely see movement with the dot you never saw before), and presentations from draws and other positions. I didnt put rounds down range until I had 2-3 weeks of solid, purposeful dry fire. First range session was on par with irons, now Im faster with the rmr.

Once you hit the range, mix up distance and raget size, find out what sight picture gets you hits. You’ll eventually have to learn you dont need to see the dot for every shot. When moving and shooting a close target, somethimes the dot moves outside the window, but the gun is still on target. Seeing the irons as a reference helps too, although Im using stock height sights.

Tldr: dry practice draws, learn to not “need” the dot.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Took my gun out and shot for precision at 7yards, it was 2 maybe a bit more inches low. Which it could have been off at 25 yards because I sighted it in on steel in a pretty sloppy fashion. Did the 2 inches cost me some misses , yes but did I still yank the trigger and sucked with getting comfortable with a RDS handgun. I hoped it to have been more as bad as I shot so...I crapped out

Bottom line I need to practice practice practice as suggested, and I will do so because I still believe my old eyes will come to love it.

PB

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My experience has been a RD on a handgun is worth the investment in time, headaches and practice.
    Hopefully you experience this too PB.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Took my gun out and shot for precision at 7yards, it was 2 maybe a bit more inches low. Which it could have been off at 25 yards because I sighted it in on steel in a pretty sloppy fashion. Did the 2 inches cost me some misses , yes but did I still yank the trigger and sucked with getting comfortable with a RDS handgun. I hoped it to have been more as bad as I shot so...I crapped out

Bottom line I need to practice practice practice as suggested, and I will do so because I still believe my old eyes will come to love it.

PB
    Sounds like a lot. Center of bore to center of rmr on g23 w/conversion 9mm barrel is .9”
    Id measure yours, anything closer than sight in distance should be within the rmr to bore distance.
    2” just seems like a lot, but its entirely possible to be the way its sighted in.

I initially sighted mine in at 25(first glock). As I got better with the trigger (and overall), I had to drift my sight a couple inches over a few weeks time, even though I was initially shooting 90+ on a b8@25yds.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-07-19 at 07:11.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast